Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for NIACL Assistant 2017.
1. News travel (a)/ very fast today (b)/ due to advancement in technology. (c)/ No error (d)
2. The Chairman made it clear at the meeting (a)/ that he will not step down (b)/ from his position as chairman. (c)/ No error (d)
3. We had (a)/ lot of difficulty (b)/ in finding the way here. (c)/ No error (d)
4. Just as he was driving along the road, (a)/ a bus pulled up and the driver asked him (b)/ if he has seen a briefcase on the road. (c)/ No error (d)
5. Experience has taught me (a)/ not to ignore any man, high or low, (b)/ not to ignore anything, great or small. (c)/ No error (d)
6. I have spent (a)/ most of my money, (b)/ so I can travel only bus. (c)/ No error (d)
7. When my friends came to visit us (a)/ at the railway station (b)/ they left some of their luggages. (c)/No error (d)
8. As an officer (a)/ he not only was competent (b)/ but also honest. (c)/ No error (d)
9. If you will come tomorrow (a)/ we can go to the market (b)/ and do our own shopping together. (c)/No error (d)
10. If we exercise regularly (a)/ we will be (b)/ more healthier. (c)/ No error (d)
11. He boasts of having visited Europe many times (a)/ but he can neither speak English (b)/ nor he can speak French. (c)/ No error. (d)
12. Whenever possible, one should avail the opportunity (a)/ that come one‘s way (b)/ if one wants to achieve success in life. (c)/ No error (d)
- Explanation: (a) Use “travels‘ as the noun, “News‘ is singular.
- Explanation: (b) Replace “will‘ by “would‘ as the first clause is in the past tense.
- Explanation: (b) Use “a‘ before “lot of‘.
- Explanation: (c) Replace “has‘ by “had‘ because the first clause is in the “past indefinite tense. In such a case an event that took place earlier than that must be in the past perfect tense.
- Explanation: (c) Remove the words “not to ignore and use “nor‘.
- Explanation: (b) Use “the‘ before “most‘. When the preposition “of‘ is used after a superlative degree adjective like most, best, greatest, the article “the‘ is used before it.
- Explanation: (c) Replace “luggages‘ by “items of luggage‘.
- Explanation: (b) Use “was‘ after “he‘. The clause would be “he was not only competent‘.
- Explanation: (a) Remove “will‘. In the conditional sentences, where both the acts are to take place in future the clause with “if‘ is in present indefinite tense.
- Explanation: (c) Remove “more‘. “More‘ is not used with an adjective in its comparative degree.
- Explanation: (c) Remove “he can‘. It is superfluous.
- Explanation: (b) Replace “come‘ by “comes‘ because the subject “opportunity‘ is singular in number.
ep Recommended Test Series