Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for NIACL Assistant 2017.
1. Lack of winter rains (a)/ have delayed the sowing of (b)/ wheat crop in this area. (c)/ No error (d)
2. The teacher let the boy off (a)/ withy a warning though he (b)/ was convinced with his guilt. (c)/ No error (d)
3. Our first trip was the most interesting one, (a)/ but our second one, (b)/ was even more interesting.(c)/ No error (d)
4. He has been going to the office (a)/ for a year now, (b)/ and he even can‘t understand its working. (c)/ No error. (d)
5. People blamed him (a)/ for being (b)/ a coward person./ (c) No error (d)
For NICL AO 2017, we recommend Practice Mock Mock Test which pocket friendly and one of the best in quality. - Click here
6. We swam up to the drowning man, caught hold of his clothes (a)/ before he could go down again (b)/ and pulled him out, safe to the shore. (c)/ No error (d)
7. Meena was so tired (a)/ that she could not hardly (b)/ talk to the guests for a few minutes. (c)/ No error (d)
8. If I was knowing (a)/ why he was absent, (b)/ I would have informed you. (c)/ No error (d)
9. He goes (a)/ to office (b)/ by foot. (c)/ No error (d)
10. The hundred-rupees notes (a)/ that he gave them for the goods bought from them looked genuine (b)/ but later they reliably learnt that the notes were all counterfeit. (c)/ No error (d)
11. The way he‘s behaving (a)/ he‘ll soon spill the beans (b)/ I‘m afraid. (c)/ No error (d)
12. Most of the developing countries find it (a)/ difficult to cope up with the problems (b)/ created by the sudden impact of technological progress. (c)/ No error (d)
Answers & Explanations:
- Explanation (b) Use “has‘ instead of “have‘ as the subject “lack‘ is singular in number.
- Explanation (c) Use “of‘ instead of “with‘ as the verb “convinced‘ always takes the preposition “of‘ after it.
- Explanation (a) Remove “the‘. Article “the‘ is used before a superlative degree adjective only when comparison is made with all. If no comparison is made, the superlative degree adjective is used as positive degree adjective.
- Explanation (c) Remove “and‘ and use “but‘ or “yet‘. The clauses that show contrary results are joined by the adversative conjunctions not by the cumulative ones.
- Explanation (c) Remove person after coward.
- Explanation (a) Use “got hold‘ in place of “caught hold‘.
- Explanation (b) Remove not.
- Explanation (a) Use “I knew‘ in place of “I was knowing‘.
- Explanation (c) Use “on foot‘ in place of “by foot‘.
- Explanation (a) It should be hundred rupee note in place of hundred rupee notes.
- Explanation (a) Replace “behaving‘ with “behaving in‘
- Explanation (c) Use “sudden arrival‘ in place of “sudden impact‘.
ep Recommended Test Series