Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for NIACL Assistant 2017.
Directions (Q. 1-12) Each questions has a sentence with three parts labelled (a), (b) and (c). Read each sentence to find out whether there is any error in any part and indicate your answer in the answer sheet against the corresponding letter i.e., (a) or (b) or (c). If you find no error, your answer should be indicated as (d).
1. He asked her that (a)/ whether she knew (b)/ what had happened last week when she was on leave. (c)/ No error (d)
2. Until you do not go to the station (a)/ to receive him (a)/ I can hardly feel at ease. (c)/ No error (d)/
3. I did not know where they were going (a)/ nor could I understand (b)/ why had they left so soon. (c)/ No error (d)
4. The distinguished visitor said that he had great pleasure to be with us for some time (a)/ and that the pleasure was all the greater (b)/ because his visit afforded him an opportunity to study the working of an institution of such eminence as ours. (c)/ No error (d)
5. Please convey (a)/ my best wishes (b)/ back to your parents. (c)/ No error (d)
6. The call of the seas (a)/ have always (b)/ found an echo in me. (c)/ No error (d)
7. Hardly, I had left home for Mumbai (a)/ when my son who is settled in Kolkata arrived (b)/ without any prior information. (c)/ No error (d)
8. Now, it can be easily said (a)/ that the population of this city is greater (b)/ than any other city in India. (c)/ No error (d)
9. It is difficult to explain (a)/ why did Rajagopalachari resigned (b)/ from the Congress in 1940. (c)/ No error (d)
10. The boss reminded them of the old saying (a)/ that honesty was the best policy (b)/ and told them that they had better be honest in their work. (c)/ No error (d)
11. ‘Gulliver‘s Travels‘ are (a)/ the most fascinating adventure story (b)/ that I have ever read. (c)/ No error (d)
12. The teenager reassured his father at the station (a)/ ―Don‘t worry, dad‘ (b)/ I will pull on very nicely at the hostel.‖ (c)/ No error (d)
Answers & Explanations:
- Explanation (a) Delete ‘that‘. That is not used after asked such sentences.
- Explanation (a) Delete ‘do not‘. Do not is not used with until.
- Explanation (c) Replace ‘why had they‘ with ‘why they had‘.
- Explanation (c) Add ‘that of‘ before ‘ours‘.
- Explanation (c) Remove back.
- Explanation (b) Use ‘has‘ in place of ‘have‘.
- Explanation (a) Replace ‘hardly I had with ‘hardly had I‘.
- Explanation (c) Add ‘that of‘ after than.
- Explanation (b) Write ‘resign‘ in place of ‘resigned‘.
- Explanation (b) Write ‘is‘ in place of ‘was‘.
- Explanation (a) Use is‘ in place of ‘are‘.
- Explanation (c) Use ‘carry on‘ in place of ‘pull on‘.
ep Recommended Test Series