Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for NICL AO 2017 Prelims Exam.
Direction for questions 1 to 6: In each of the following questions, a part of a sentence is left blank. Choose from among the four options given below each question, the one which would best fill the blanks.
1. When we call others dogmatic, what we really object to is ___.
a) their giving the dog a bad name
b) their holding dogmas that are different from our own
c) the extremism that goes along with it
d) the subversion of whatever they actually believe in concomitantly
2. I am an entertainer ___, I have to keep smiling because in my heart laughter and sorrow have an affinity.
a) Even if I have tears in my eyes
b) Even though I am depressed inside
c) While entertaining people
d) In the entertainment business
3. The stock markets ___. The state they are in right now speaks volumes about this fact.
a) is the barometer of public confidence
b) are the best indicators of public sentiment
c) are used to trade in expensive shares
d) are not used to taking stock of all markets
4. Political power is just as permanent as today's newspaper. Ten years down the line, ___ the most powerful man in any state today.
a) who cares
b) nobody will remember what was written in today's newspaper or
c) few will know, or care about
d) when a lot of water will have passed under the bridge, who will care
5. ___, the more they remain the same.
a) People all over the world change
b) The more people change
c) The more they are different
d) The less people change
6. Although, it has been more than 50 years since Satyajit Ray made Pather Panchali, ___ refuse to go away from the mind.
a) the haunting images
b) its haunting images
c) its haunted images
d) the haunt of its images.
Direction for questions 7 to 12: In each of the following questions, a part of the paragraph or sentences has been underlined. From the choices given to you, you are required to choose the one which would best replace the underlined part.
7. The Romanians may be restive under Soviet direction — but they are tied to Moscow by ideological and military links.
a) they are tied to Moscow by ideological and military links
b) they are preparing for a great revolution
c) secretly they rather enjoy the prestige of being protected by the mighty Soviets
d) there is nothing they can do about it
8. In a penetrating study, CBS-TV focuses on these people without hope, whose bodies are cared for by welfare aid, but whose spirit is often neglected by a disinterested society.
a) whose bodies are cared for by welfare aid
b) who do not have enough to eat
c) whose hopelessness may be alleviated
d) who may be physically satiated
9. Contemplating whether to exist with an insatiable romantic temperament, he was the author and largely the subject of a number of memorable novels.
a) Contemplating whether to exist
b) Combining realistic details
c) Miscegenating a brilliant mind
d) Aware that he had been born
10. How many times have I asked myself: when is the world going to start to make sense? There is a monster out there, and it is rushing towards me over the uneven ground of consciousness.
a) There is a monster out there
b) It is as if the world is on my shoulders
c) The answer is out there somewhere
d) There is a sea of sensibility in me
11. In Martin Amis' new novel, the narrator is trapped — and hurtling towards a terrible secret, its resolution and the dreadful revelations it brings, ally to give an excruciating vision of guilt.
a) ally to give an excruciating vision of guilt
b) to us give a vivid picture of guilt
c) is a painful picture of a guilt ridden world
d) does not really solve all the questions in the narrator's mind
12. Victory is everything in the Indian universe and Tendulkar will be expected to translate his genius to that effect. To contemplate any other option is to contemplate the risk of failure.
a) To contemplate any other option is to contemplate the risk of failure.
b) Failure is not an action that can be contemplated.
c) Any other action has the potential of failure.
d) Failure is not an option.
Answers with Solutions
1. b This is the only phrase that fits here.
2. a 'Even if I have tears in me' goes perfectly with 'I have to keep smiling'.
3. b Stock markets indicate public sentiment, not just confidence.
4. c 'Few will know about' is the most concise way to express the meaning.
5. b It is a well-known saying in English.
6. b 'Its haunting images' refers to the haunting images of the movie.
7. a No other choice states why they are tied to Moscow.
8. a The sentence refers to the people who are 'physically looked after' by the welfare aid. No other choice states the involvement of welfare aid.
9. b The best possible and logical answer is (b) combining realistic details.
10. c The given phrase obviously refers to the answer to the question that is bothering the author.
11. a The original phrase is best suited here.
12. c The sentence means that any other action will most probably lead to failure.
ep Recommended Test Series