Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 21 April, 2017. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO mains, BOB Manipal 2017, NICL AO 2017 and NIACL Assistant 2017.
SBI PO 2017: All India Tests in New Pattern
NIACL Assistant 2017 - All India Free Mock Test
IBPS 2017 Exam Preparation & Tests
SSC CGL 2017: All India Test Series
NICL AO 2017 - All India Mock Test
Financial and Banking News –
GIC Re becomes first re-insurer to set up base in GIFT City
- General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re) has become the first re-insurer to open its IFSC Insurance Office (IIO) at India’s first International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) here today.
- Alice G Vaidyan, Chairman and Managing Director, GIC Re, said the company has decided to be a part of the country’s effort in building an offshore financial centre at GIFT City. GIC Re’s experience of working in other global IFSCs could be shared with GIFT IFSC, she added.
- With a net worth of about Rs. 40,000 crore and total assets of Rs.85,000 crore, as on December 31, 216, GIC Re ranks 14th among the reinsurers the world over, on the basis of the gross premium volumes (2016).
India, South Korea sign pact for defence shipbuilding
- The governments of India and South Korea signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 21 April 2017 to strengthen their bilateral cooperation in defence shipbuilding.
- The agreement was signed between Ashok Kumar Gupta, Secretary (Defence Production) and Chang Myong Jin, Korea’s Minister of Defence Acquisition and Programme Administration in New Delhi.
- According to the MoU, the two countries under the broader term of a special strategic partnership will be nominating one shipyard each for the project.
- Commenting on the development, Ashok Kumar Gupta stated that India has already chosen Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) for the purpose while South Korea is still to announce its nomination.
News related to India and states –
Cubbon Park, Lalbagh to take up leaf composting to clear dry leaves
- To solve the problem of getting rid off fallen leaves, the Horticulture Department in Bengaluru has set up eight leaf composting machines in Cubbon Park.
- Another park, Lalbagh is also planning to compost leaf waste, as it is almost impossible to clear dry leaves spread across over 200-300 acres of area.
- The leaf composting machines promise quality compost within just four months.
- The traditional methods undertaken by the park authorities up until now took at least one and half years to complete the same job.
- The Horticulture Department has installed eight leaf composters in both Cubbon Park and Lalbagh, each having a capacity of 2,000 litres.
- To begin, the department would be using smaller leaf composters, which would be able to presently clear only 5 per cent of the leaf waste.
INS Darshak conducting joint hydrographic survey of Sri Lankan bay
- The Indian Navy's hydrographic survey ship, INS Darshak, jointly with Sri Lankan Navy, is undertaking a hydrographic survey of Weligama Bay.
- The announcement was made by the Indian Navy on 20 April 2017 on a social media platform.
- INS Darshak, which is on a two-month deployment in the Sri Lankan waters, jointly with the Sri Lankan Navy is surveying the bay, which was last studied in the year 1901.
- The Eastern Naval Command's (ENC) vessel had left for Sri Lanka on 3 March 2017. The vessel is also carrying an integral Chetak helicopter which would be extensively deployed during the course of the survey.
India develops National Action Plan to combat Antimicrobial Resistance
- J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, on 19 April 2017 announced the finalization of India’s comprehensive and multi-sectoral National Action Plan.
- The announcement was made at the Inter-Ministerial Consultation on AMR containment held in New Delhi.
- The National Action Plan aims to enhance awareness, strengthen surveillance, improve rational use of antibiotics, reduce infections and promote research. The plan highlights the need for tackling antimicrobial resistance (AMR) across multiple sectors such as human health, animal husbandry, agriculture and environment in consideration of the “One-Health Approach".
- Ram Vila Paswan, Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Anil Madhav Dave, Minister of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, and Anupriya Patel, MoS (Health & Family Welfare) also signed a ‘Delhi Declaration’ for collectively strategizing to contain AMR.
TIME releases list of 100 Most Influential People of 2017
- Time Magazine on 20 April 2017 released the annual list of 100 most influential people of 2017.
- This year's list includes the names of Presidents and Prime Ministers, CEOs and celebrities for the power of their inventions, the scale of their ambitions, the genius of their solutions to problems that could not be solved before.
- This year, only two Indians to feature on the list- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
- Oscar winner Viola Davis, Grammy winner John Legend, actor Riz Ahmed, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and philanthropist Melinda Gates graced the five different covers of this year’s list of 100 most influential people.
- US President Donald Trump, Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister Theresa May featured on the new list of 100 most influential people by the magazine.
- The list includes active opponents not only US President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un but also the Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte and his nemesis Senator Leila de Lima.
- There are several people on the list whose influence is the subject of heated debate, from WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to FBI Director James Comey to White House adviser Stephen Bannon.
- PM Narendra Modi featured on the list as a political leader. He is described as a maestro of the art of political seduction, playing on the existential fears and cultural insecurities of people facing downward or blocked mobility.
- Another Indian Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Paytm founder, also featured on the list. His venture Paytm witnessed a huge growth by the end of 2016 with 177 million users, compared with 122 million at the beginning of the year.
Awards & Honors –
First female MBBS doctor from Indore presented with Padma Shri
- The 91-year-old gynaecologist, Dr. Bhakti Yadav was presented with the Padma Shri award at her residence on 20 April 2017.
- The award was presented to her by district collector P Narahari in the presence of the state’s Finance Minister Jayant Malaiya and Mayor Malini Gaud, as she was unable to attend the function organised in New Delhi on 13 April where the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee had given away the prestigious civilian awards to the recipients.
- The award aims to recognize her selfless service towards her patients, especially the ones from a poor background.
- The nonagenarian doctor has been treating her patients for free since 1948.
Sulkhan Singh Appointed Uttar Pradesh's New Director General Of Police
- Sulkhan Singh has been appointed Uttar Pradesh's new Director General of Police (DGP) by the Yogi Adityanath government. Mr Singh, the 1980 batch IPS officer, will replace Javeed Ahmad, who has been made the chief of Provincial Armed Constabulary or PAC.
- Several top bureaucrats have been transferred in UP, of which 12 are IPS officers and seven IAS.
- Earlier today, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath directed the state police to change its work style in order to make the common people feel secure. He expressed unhappiness over the working of the anti-corruption wing of the state police and ordered its reorganisation.
- On completing one month in office on Wednesday, Mr Adityanath, in a major rejig, moved 41 senior officers and brought in new faces to head four development authorities. It was the 44-year-old leader's second reshuffle since he resumed office.
Golfers Aditi Ashok, SSP Chawrasia and Ali Sher win Golf Industry Association Awards 2017
- Golfers Aditi Ashok, S.S.P Chawrasia and Ali Sher on 20 April 2017 won the second edition of the Golf Industry Association (GIA) Awards 2017.
- Aditi Ashok bagged the award for Outstanding Achievement. Aditi finished second in the Ladies European Tour (LET) order of merit in 2016.
- SSP Chawrasia bagged the award for the Men's Player of the Year (2016). He successfully defended his Indian Open title and had two victories on Golf Tour when he also won his first overseas title at the Resorts World Manila Masters.
- While, Golfer Ali Sher was awarded for his outstanding playing career. His victory in the Indian Open back in 1991, was not only the first by an Indian professional golfer, but it completely changed the game in the country, with many Indian golfers tasting international success after him. He won an Arjuna Award in 1991 and then went on to win the Indian Open again in 1993.
Esports to be a medal event at 2022 Asian Games
- The Olympic Council of Asia in April 2017 announced a partnership with Alisports to introduce esports as a demonstration sport at 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia, with full-fledged inclusion in the official sporting programme at the Hangzhou Games in 2022.
- Alisports is the sports arm of Chinese online retail giant Alibaba.
- The decision signifies that esports are one step closer to being featured in the Olympic Games.
- The Asian Games in 2022 will be the first time that esports competitors can receive medals at an officially recognized Olympic event.
- Esports will also be as a demonstration sport at the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in September 2017. The Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games will feature Fifa 2017, MOBA games and real-time action games like StarCraft or Civilization.
ep Recommended Test Series