Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for SBI PO Prelims on Error Correction.
1. Answer the following questions in the comment box.
2. Do not give solutions unless you are asked to.
3. Solve it honestly.
4. Highest Scores will be featured.
5. Answers will be updated after 4pm today.
[Directions: 1-5]: Read each sentence to find out whether there is any error in the underlined parts. The error can be grammatical/spelling/phrase not appropriate in the given sentence. Mark the part with the error and if there is no error, mark (e).
1. She was mad that he broke (a)/ her vase, but it (b)/was an accident, and (c)/ there’s no use crying on spilt milk anyway, so she forgave him (d)/No error (e).
2. Construction of the main stadium (a)/ has been delayed (b)/and the original logo for the games(c)/ had to be scrapped after plagiarism accusations (d)/ No error (e).
3. Note that regardless of your industry, (a)/ while talking in a casual tone, (b)/ professionalism (c)/ is expected (d)/ No error (e).
4. An investor whom (a)/ has some money has (b)/two options: to spend it right (c)/ now or to save it (d)/No error (e)
5. Spreadsheets commonly (a)/ offer (b) /functions to compute (c)/ present value (d)/ No error (e).
[Directions 6-10]: Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical mistake/error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. Mark the number of that part with error as your answer. If there is no error, mark (e).
6. Gita was trying for admission (a)/ in the engineering college (b)/even though her parents wanted (c)/her to take up medicine (d)/No error (e).
7. There is no other book (a)/ in Hindi language (b)/ which is as interesting (c)/ as this (d)/No error (e).
8. Even after working in the office (a)/ for several years (b)/ Ramesh had (c)/ hardly mastered any job at all (d)/ No error(e)
9. Ravi persuaded (a)/ his wife (b)/ to go with him (c)/ on the trip (d)/ No error (e).
10. Abdul was leading (a)/ a happy and leisurely life (b)/ after his retirement (c)/from service (d)/ No error (e).
Answers with Explanations:
1. (d) ’ Crying over spilt milk’ in place of ‘crying on spilt milk’.
3. (b) ‘When talking’ in place of ‘while talking’.
4. (a) ’Who’ in place of ‘whom’.
6. (c) ‘Had wanted’ in place of ‘wanted’.
7. (a) ‘No other book ’in place of ‘no book’.
8. (a) ‘After having worked’ in place of ‘after working’.
9. (c) ‘To come’ in place of ‘to go’.
10. (a) ‘Was living’ in place of ‘was leading’. Living is appropriate here.