Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 3 February, 2017. These are very important for the upcoming Syndicate Bank PGDBF and other insurance and bank exams.
Non-financial news – India and States:
India signs MoU with Sri Lanka to construct a multi-ethnic secondary school
- India and Sri Lanka signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on 2 February 2017 to construct a multi-ethnic tri-lingual secondary school in Lanka’s Polonnaruwa District.
- The MoU was signed by Taranjit Singh Sandhu, the High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka and Sunil Hettiarachchi, the Secretary to the Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Education.
- The construction of the school will be carried out with the help of a grant worth Rs 30 Cr given by the Government of India.
- The project aims to create a fully-equipped school with all necessary amenities including furnished classrooms, laboratories and a library.
- The school would provide equal opportunities to Sinhala, Tamil and Muslim students to study in a multi-ethnic, tri-lingual and multi-cultural environment.
Venkaiah Naidu Inaugurated the 3-day Visakha Utsav in Visakhapatnam
- The three-day Visakha Utsav was inaugurated by M. Venkaiah Naidu, the Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting and Urban Development, in Visakhapatnam on 3 February 2017.
- The state festival, comprising various cultural events is being held at the port city’s Rama Krishna Beach. The kick-off day saw in attendance various notable figures from the state ministry such as the HRD Minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao, Health Minister Kamineni Srinivas, Zilla Parishad Chairperson Lalam Bhavani and MLAs V. Anita, Vasupalli Ganesh Kumar, Palla Srinvasa Rao and P. Vishnu Kumar Raju.
- Visakha Utsav is an annual festival that aims to bring out the rich culture and tradition of Andhra Pradesh.
- Its main objective is to promote the brand image of Visakhapatnam.
- It includes a cultural event called ‘Utsav Vedika’, which aims to revive the state’s art forms.
Centre of Integrative Oncology to be inaugurated today
- The Centre of Integrative Oncology is going to be inaugurated on 3 February 2017 at the National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research (NICPR), Noida. The institute will be dedicated to building collaboration in areas related to cancer research, care and prevention.
- The inauguration of the centre would be carried out by Saumya Swaminathan, the Secretary of Department of Health Research (Ministry of Health & Family Welfare) & Director General of Indian Council for Medical Research and Ajit M. Sharan, the Secretary of Ministry of AYUSH.
- Besides them, Ravi Mehrotra, Director of NICPR-Indian Council for Medical Research and Abhimanyu Kumar, Director of All India Institute of Ayurveda would also be present at the ceremony.
- The memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the centre’s construction was signed on 19 October 2016.
IDFC MD Vikram Limaye the new CEO, MD of National Stock Exchanges
- Leading stock exchange National Stock Exchange on Friday selected IDFC chief Vikram Limaye as its new CEO and Managing Director, two months after the sudden exit of Chitra Ramkrishna from the top post.
- Sources said NSE's board approved Limaye's name for the top position but a formal announcement would be made later as some formalities need to be completed from his side.
- The approval of the board, chaired by Ashok Chawla, comes after a four-member search panel suggested Limaye's name from amongst the shortlisted candidates.
Sanjeev Sanyal appointed as Principal Economic Adviser in Finance Ministry
- The government on Friday appointed noted economist Sanjeev Sanyal as the principal economic adviser in the Ministry of Finance.
- He has been appointed in a pay scale of Rs 67,000-79,000 for a period of three years.
- In 2007, Sanyal was awarded the Eisenhower Fellowship for his work on urban issues and was also honoured by the Singapore government at the World Cities Summit 2014.
- He attended Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi and St. John's College, Oxford, where he was Rhodes Scholar.