Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 11, 12 and 13 February, 2017. These are very important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains and other insurance and bank exams.
India, UK signed bilateral MoU to allow more flights to boost tourism and trade
- India and the United Kingdom (UK) in February 2017 signed a bilateral Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to allow more flights to boost tourism and trade in both the countries.
- The agreement was formally signed by Pusapati Ashok Gajapathi Raju and Lord Ahmad in New Delhi.
- While Raju is the Union Minister of Civil Aviation, Lord Ahmad is a representative of the UK Government. He led a delegation of British companies for the 2017 CAPA India Aviation Summit, which was held for two days in Mumbai in the second week of February 2017.
- The MoU seeks to ease restrictions on the number of scheduled flights between India and the UK.
- As part of the agreement, limits on flights from key Indian cities including Chennai and Kolkata have been scrapped.
- This measure will allow a greater range of flights for passengers while providing a boost to trade and tourism for both the countries.
Hindustan Motors sells Ambassador Car brand to Peugeot
- Hindustan Motors on 11 February 2017 sold out Ambassador car brand to French automaker Peugeot SA for Rs 80 crore.
- This deal will help Peugeot to enter into the Indian car market by using Hindustan Motors' existing manufacturing facility in Tamil Nadu.
- In this regard, Hindustan Motors signed an agreement with Peugeot SA for the sale of the Ambassador brand including the trademarks for a consideration of Rs 80 crore.
- Owned by the CK Birla Group, Hindustan Ambassador was manufactured at Uttarpara on the outskirts of Kolkata.
- Since 1958, when the Ambassador, based on Britain’s Morris Oxford, started being manufactured in India, it was the emblem of high social standing.
- It was the first diesel car of India and was the longest produced auto brand that was manufactured between 1958 to 2014.
- Since 1958, there have been seven models of the Ambassador beginning with Mark 1 to Encore.
- The first Ambassador model costs Rs 14000 while the last one costs Rs 5 lakh.
- The Ambassador was the preferred choice for taxis and was voted as the world’s best taxi by global automotive programme Top Gear in 2013.
Non-financial news – India and states:
INS Sarvekshak goes green
- INS Sarvekshak, the survey vessel of Indian Navy has gone green by installing a solar power system on board.
- According to the Navy, the system is 100 per cent reliable for power source and can be used for a variety of functions including charging of batteries, for communication equipment and for general all day onboard lightings with battery outputs during night.
- The system will be maintenance free, unlike the regular diesel generator that requires regular maintenance.
- With the installation of the 5 KW solar power system, the estimated profit generated in a ship service life of 25 years is around Rs 2.7 Cr in this project alone.
- Even if the system is used for just 25 days in a year, the system can replay the cost in less than ten years.
- The system’s installation also helps avoid the use of around 165 kg of carbon in a day, 60225 kg of carbon in a year and the use of 22995 litres of diesel.
Days & Observance:
National Productivity Day 2017 observed in India
- The National Productivity Day 2017 was observed in India on 12 February 2017. Besides, the country also observed National Productivity week from 12 February to 18 February 2017 with the theme 'From Waste to Profits-through Reduce, Recycle and Reuse'.
- The day was organised by National Productivity Council (NPC) for encouraging all the stakeholders to implement productivity tools and techniques with contemporary relevant themes.
- To mark this day, various workshops, essay competitions, painting competitions, training programs, debates are also organized.
World Radio Day observed with theme Radio is You
- World Radio Day was celebrated across the world on 13 February 2017. The day is observed every year to celebrate radio as the medium of entertainment, the mode of communication and information.
- Themed ‘Radio is You’, this year the day calls for a greater participation of both the audiences and communities in the policy and planning of radio broadcasting.
- Speaking on the occasion, Irina Bokova, the Director General of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), said that at such a time when turbulence is high in the society, radio provides an ideal platform to bring communities together.
International Day of Women and Girls in Science observed
- The International Day of Women and Girls in Science was observed across the globe on 11 February 2017. The day comes as an opportunity for all to take a stand for girls and women in science.
- Science and gender equality are vital for the achievement of the internationally agreed development goals, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- In 2016, the UNESCO launched a Manifesto ‘For Women in Science’ with the L’Oréal Foundation. The manifesto aims at engaging Governments and stakeholders in promoting the full participation of girls and women in science. It looks forward to inspire girls and young women by offering mentoring opportunities to young women scientists to assist in their career development.
Awards & Honors:
Director Damien Chazelle's musical "La La Land" dominates BAFTA 2017
- The American musical-drama film ‘La La Land’ swept the top five awards at the 70th British Academy Film Awards, BAFTA. The film directed by Damien Chazelle had Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as the lead characters.
- The film clinched the award for best film, best director, best actress, best cinematography and best original music, surpassing the strong competition it faced from other great films including 'I, Daniel Blake', 'Arrival', 'Lion' and 'Manchester by the Sea'.
- Other major awards included Best actor, which went to Casey Affleck for his role in 'Manchester by the Sea', Best Original Screenplay, which again went to the director of Manchester by the Sea, Kenneth Lonergan and the Outstanding British Film award that went to the popular state-drama 'I, Daniel Blake' directed by veteran director Ken Loach.
- Furthermore, the award for best-supporting actor male went to the British-Indian actor Dev Patel for his performance in 'Lion' and the award for best-supporting actress female was given to Viola Davis for her role in the film, 'Fences'.
Full list of winners
- Outstanding British film: I, Daniel Blake
- Best film: La La Land
- Best director: Damien Chazelle -La La Land
- Best actor: Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
- Best actress: Emma Stone -La La Land
Sand Artist Sudarsan’s new sand castle creates Guinness World Record
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik created a Guinness World Record on 10 February 2017 by sculpting a 48.8 feet tall sand castle at Odisha’s Puri beach.
- The world’s tallest sand castle carries a message of world peace and features sculptures of legendary leaders and preachers of peace such as Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela and Gautama Buddha.
- Patnaik achieved the huge feat in just four days.
- He along with his 45 students started work on the sculpture on 7 February. They worked for nearly 12 hours a day.
- The artwork would be exhibited on the Puri beach for two more days.
India beat Pakistan by 9 wickets to win T20 Blind World Cup 2017
- India on 12 February 2017 won the ICC T20 Blind World Cup. In the final clash played at Bengaluru’s M Chinnaswamy stadium, India defeated Pakistan by 9-wickets.
- Successfully defending their title in the T20 Blind World Cup, India achieved the victory target of 198-runs in the 18th over in the final of the tournament.
- Pakistan had scored 197 for 8 in their 20 overs. The team had won the previous edition by defeating the same rivals in the final in 2012.
- India made to the finals with eight victories of the nine games. It lost its only match against Pakistan in the group stages at Feroz Shah Kotla in Delhi. On the other hand, Pakistan remained unbeaten throughout the tournament.
- Important fact: Pakistan also ended as runners-up to India in the 2012 edition of the game. In 2012, which was the inaugural session of the tournament, India defeated Pakistan by 29 runs.
Frank-Walter Steinmeier elected President of Germany
- Frank-Walter Steinmeier was elected as the new President of Germany on 12 February 2017 by a special Parliamentary assembly. He became the 12th person to hold the post in the post-war era.
- The special assembly comprised 630 federal Members of Parliament and an equal number of representatives from Germany’s 16 Federal states.