Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for SBI PO Prelims on Cloze Test.
1. Answer the following questions in the comment box.
2. Do not give solutions unless you are asked to.
3. Solve it honestly.
4. Highest Scores will be featured.
5. Answers will be updated after 2pm today.
In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words, are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the word in each case.
As it grew dark, the boy _________(1) how tired he was, and he got up to leave but _________(2) he had gone more than a few steps, he turned _________(3), ran back to the old woman and _________(4)her a hug. She gave him her _________(5) smile ever. When the boy opened the door to his own house a short time _________(6), his mother was _________(7) by the look of joy on his face. She asked him, “What did you do today that made you so happy?” He replied, “I had lunch with God.” But, before his mother could respond, he added, “You know what? She’s got the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen!”
Meanwhile, the old woman, also _________(8) with joy, returned to her home. Her son was _________(9) by the look of peace on her face and he asked, “Mother, what did you do today that made you so happy?” She replied, “I ate Twinkies in the park with God.” But, before her son _________(10), she added, “You know, he’s much younger than I expected.”
1. (a) understood (b) knew (c) ascertained (d) realised (e) thought
2. (a) before (b) as (c) when (d) soon (e) about
3. (a) back (b) forward (c) towards (d)around (e) away
4. (a) made (b) give (c) wished (d) gave (e) created
5. (a) silly (b)bright (c) flawed (d) biggest (e) awkward
6. (a) then (b) afterwards (c) later (d) thereafter (e) hence
7. (a) shocked (b) surprised (c) worried (d) judgmental (e) adamant
8. (a) filled (b) radiant (c) improved (d) dazzling (e) contempt
9. (a) surprised (b) stunned (c) disturbed (d) blessed (e) jovial
10. (a) reverted (b) responded (c) thought (d) replied (e) scattered
Sourav - 8/10
Dixit - 8/10
Answers with Explanations:
1. (d) Because the rest options do not provide a proper meaning.
2. (a) Option fits best
3. (d) Option fits best
4. (d) ‘Hug’ is always given.
5. (d) Option fits best.
6. (c) Option fits best
7. (b). Option fits best
8. (b) Radiant here means shinning due to happiness.
9. (b) Rest alternatives don’t fit with the meaning of the paragraph.
10. (b) Option fits best.