Hello and welcome to exampundit. So here are the Daily Word List of 10 January, 2017.
1. Vacuous (adj): having lack of thought.
Synonyms: empty, unintelligent, blank, drained.
Use: There is no substance to her vacuous claim on the property!
2. Propitious (adj): something which is beneficiary or in favour.
Synonyms: full of promise, Good, favorable, auspicious, opportune.
Use: "the timing for such a meeting seemed propitious"
3. Incendiary (n): Intentionally stirring up strife, trouble.
Synonyms: damage, provocative, inflammatory.
Use: Politics is an incendiary topic; it tends to cause fights to break out.
4. Hebetude (n): lack of interest or mental lethargy.
Synonyms: lethargy, apathy, disinterest.
Use: Incuriousness was the most potent ally of our imposed order; for Eastern government rested not so much on consent or force, as on the common supinity, hebetude, lack-a- daisiness, which gave a minority undue effect.
5. Vitriol (n): (by extension) bitterly abusive language.
Synonyms: bitterness, sarcasm, disdain.
Use: For days, online forums sparked with outrage against politicians and race organizers, a tone that turned to vitriol against runners, even from some shaming other runners for being selfish.
6. Eclat (n): brilliance of success or effort;
Synonyms: style, flair, dynamism, glory, renown.
Use: "he finished his recital with great éclat"
7. Dandified (adj): To dress as, or to adopt the style of.
Synonyms: dapper, fashionable, natty.
Use: "he writes a dandified prose"
8. Avarice (n): extreme greed for wealth or material gain.
Synonyms: greed, acquisitiveness, cupidity
Use: "he was rich beyond the dreams of avarice"
9. Maraud (v): to move about in roving fashion looking for plunder.
Synonyms: pillage and plunder, despoil, harass.
Use: a marauding band.
10. Wastrel (n): who wastes time or resources extravagantly.
Synonyms: loafer, rake, Vagabond, profligate.
Use: Mary’ mother - if that was her picture - may have been a wastrel in her spare time (she had thirteen children by a minister of the church), but if so her gay and dissipated life had left too few traces of its pleasures on her face.