Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 4th January, 2017. These are important for the upcoming RBI Assistant Mains, IPPB Mains and Other exams.
Get the RBI Assistant Mains Sectional - CLICK HERE
Financial and Banking News:
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Kenya on bilateral cooperation in the field of agriculture and allied sectors
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Kenya on bilateral cooperation in the field of agriculture and allied sectors.
- The MoU covers various activities in these fields which include agricultural research, animal husbandry and dairy, livestock and fisheries horticulture, natural resource management, post-harvest management and marketing, soil and conservation, water management, irrigation farming systems development and integrated watershed development integrated pest management, agricultural plant, machinery and implements, sanitary and phytosanitary issues.
- The MoU provides for constitution of a Joint Working Group comprising of representatives from both countries, the task of which would be to develop detailed cooperation programmes and monitorimplementation of the MoU.
Bunkar Mitra helpline for handloom weavers starts functioning
- Bunkar Mitra helpline started functioning on 4 January 2017. The helpline is meant to extend professional expertise to distressed handloom weavers.
- The helpline was launched by the Union Textiles Minister Zubin Irani on 25 December 2016 on the occasion of Good Governance Day.
- This helpline can be accessed by dialing the toll-free number 1800-208-9988.
- The helpline service is available in seven languages. They are Hindi, English, Tamil, Assamese, Kannada, Bengali and Telugu.
- It seeks to address handloom weavers’ queries and grievances free of cost.
- The users can avail this service anywhere from across the country between 10 am and 6 pm.
Non-Financial News – India and States:
ISRO to launch record 103 satellites in one go in Feb
- ISRO will launch a record 103 satellites in one go using its workhorse PSLV-C37 in the first week of February, while Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pet South Asian satellite project will take off in March.
- As many as 100 of the satellites set for launch in February belong to foreign nations, including the US and Germany. “We are making a century by launching over 100 satellites at one go,” said S Somnath, Director of the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre of the ISRO.
- The space agency had earlier planned a launch of 83 satellites in the last week of January, of which 80 were foreign ones. But with the addition of 20 more foreign satellites, the launch was delayed by a week and will now take place in first week of February, Somnath said.
Swachh Bharat survey launched in 500 cities
- The Union government of India has launched a Swachh Bharat survey in 500 cities and towns across the country to assess levels of sanitation and the progress made towards achieving ‘Open Defecation Free’ status.
- The Swachh Survekshan-2017, conducted by Quality Council of India (QCI), aims to improve sanitation standards in the country by instilling a sense of competition between the cities.
- The QCI will judge the cities on the basis of the data provided to them by three different sources:
- Data provided by Municipal bodies, which will carry 900 marks.
- Data collected through primary observation and independent assessment, which will carry 500 marks.
- Data collected on the basis of citizen feedback, which will carry 600 marks.
Areas of evaluation include:
- Waste Collection, sweeping and transportation with 40 per cent marks.
- Open defecation free status and toilets with 30 per cent marks.
- Municipal Solid Waste processing and disposal with 20 per cent marks.
- Information, education and behaviour change with 5 per cent marks
- Swachh Bharat Mission e-learning portal with 5 per cent marks.
Union Government launched IPR Enforcement Toolkit for Police
- The Union Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 4 January 2017 launched an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Enforcement Toolkit for police in New Delhi.
- This toolkit will be a ready reckoner for police officials across the country in dealing with IP crimes, specifically trademarks counterfeiting and copyrights piracy.
- In addition to details of offences under various laws, it provides for checklists for registering a complaint and conducting search and seizures.
- It lays down general guidelines for search and seizure in case of IP crimes.
- This toolkit will be provided to all state police departments across the nation and will assist them in dealing with the cases relating to Trademarks and Copyrights infringements.
Union Government launches mobile app for Haj Pilgrimage
- The Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on 2 January 2017 launched a mobile app for Haj Pilgrimage.
- With the launch of this app, the government aims to render digital push to the Haj application process. It was launched under the Union Government’s Digital India programme.
Highlights of the mobile app for Haj Pilgrimage
- The app will provide information and facilitate e-payments for the pilgrimage.
- The main features of the app include applying for Haj, enquiry and information, news and updates and e-payment.
- The app can be downloaded easily from the Google Play store.
- The application for five adults and two infants can be applied as a group directly on the app.
- After the registration, a PDF copy of the form will be sent to the applicant’s email.
- Thereafter, applicant needs to affix his or her photo on the form printout and send this form along with documents to the State Haj committees.
- Registration fees can also be paid through the app.
104th Indian Science Congress inaugurated in Tirupati
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 January 2017 inaugurated the 104th Indian Science Congress (ISC) at Tarakarama Stadium of Sri Venkateswara University in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. The Congress will conclude on 7 January 2017.
- It is the second time that Tirupati is hosting the Indian Science Congress. It first hosted the Science Congress in 1983.
- Science and Technology for National Development is the focal theme of the 104th Indian Science Congress.
Appointments – India and Word:
S Padmanabhan nominated as Tata Power chairman
- Tata Sons Ltd has nominated S Padmanabhan as the chairman for Tata Power Co Ltd with immediate effect using its rights according to the company's articles of association, Tata Power said on Wednesday.
- In its statement to BSE , Tata Power said in terms of the company's article of association, Tata Sons Ltd, as the promoter of the company has the right to nominate the chairman of the company's board "as long as the word 'TATA' is associated with the name of the company.
- Padmanabhan at present serves as an additional director on the company's board.
IBM appoints Karan Bajwa as India MD
- IBM — the world's largest computer services firm — has appointed its Asia-Pacific executive for strategy and transformation, Karan Bajwa, as the new managing director of IBM India. The move has come as the company looks to expand its dominance in the Indian market.
- Bajwa is taking over from Vanitha Narayanan, who has been elevated as the chairman.
- Karan joined IBM last year as an executive for strategy and transformation in the Asia-Pacific region. Before this, he was leading India business and Cloud Transition at Microsoft.
Jovenel Moise declared winner of Haiti’s Presidential elections
- Businessman Jovenel Moise was declared the official winner of Haitian Presidential Elections on 3 January 2017.
- Moise, who was representing former President Michel Martelly’s the Haitian Tet Kale Party (PHTK), won a clear majority in the Presidential elections by getting 55.6% of the total votes cast, beating his closest rival Jude Celestine who received only 19.5% of the total votes cast. The elections were held on 20 November 2016.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni steps down as India ODI, T20 captain
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni has stepped down as skipper of India's limited overs sides, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced on Wednesday.
- Dhoni, however, will be available for selection for the three-match One-Day International (ODI) and T20 International series against England, starting January 15.
- Test skipper Virat Kohli is the front-runner to replace the Ranchi wicketkeeper-batsman at the helm.
Arthur Morris inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Australia's former opening batsman Arthur Morris on 3 January 2017 was inducted into International Cricket Council's (ICC) Hall of Fame.
- With this, Morris became the 82nd cricketer to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame.
- The Australian cricketer was given the honour posthumously during the first day of the third Test between Pakistan and Australia in Sydney.
Days & Observances:
2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
- The United Nations has designated the year 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
- The announcement was made during the International body’s 70th General Assembly. The theme has been given to increase awareness on the contribution of sustainable tourism to development, especially among the public and the decision makers of the public and private sector while mobilizing all stakeholders to work together in making tourism a channel for positive change.
- The theme is perfectly in accordance with the 2030 Universal Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Karnataka's Cooperation Minister H S Mahadev Prasad dies
- H S Mahadev Prasad Minister for Cooperation and Sugar of Karnataka, passed away on 3 January 2017 following a cardiac arrest at a resort in Chikkamagaluru. He was 59.
- He was there in Chikkamagaluru to attend the silver jubilee celebrations of the Transport Cooperative Society at Koppa.
Get the RBI Assistant Mains Sectional - CLICK HERE