Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 20th, 21st and 22nd January, 2017. These are important for the upcoming IDBI PGDBF and Other exams.
Financial and Banking News:
Vodafone India to invest Rs 3000 crore in West Bengal, signs MoU with Mamata Banerjee
- On Monday, Vodafone India signed an MoU (memorandum of understanding) with the Mamta Banerjee-led West Bengal government to invest Rs 3,000 crore for capacity augmentation and new business initiatives over the next three years.
- The MoU signed on the sidelines of Bengal Global Business Summit 2017, also aims at strengthening Vodafone's leadership position in the state by offering customers a SuperNet experience through enhanced network, Vodafone said in a statement.
- At the moment, Vodafone serves more than 2 crore customers in Kolkata & West Bengal circles.
Two small finance banks begin journey, bringing 19 lakh in banking fold
- Utkarsh Micro Finance and Suryoday Microfinance have commenced banking journey Monday, making it double bonanza for the country's unbanked population.
- Both have offered higher deposit rates to their customers than the rates offered by universal banks such as State Bank of India and ICICI Bank.
- The access to public deposits would reduce their costs of fund as they would not have to rely on banks for funds for lending.
- Utkarsh is predominatly present in the northern states like Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh while Suryoday operates mostly in Maharashtra.
- Utkarsh has 12 lakh borrower-customers while Suryoday has 6.4 lakh and all of them will start getting banking services from Monday.
- Before this, Capital Small Finance Bank and Equitas Small Finance Bank have begun journey while Reserve Bank of India has offered primary licenses to 10 financial services companies including eight micro lenders. Many of these lenders such as Ujjivan Financial Services and ESAF Microfinance.
Appointments – India and World:
Viral Acharya takes charge as RBI deputy governor
- Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) new deputy governor Viral Acharya took charge on Monday for a three-year term, in charge of monetary policy department.
- Consequently, the central bank reallocated portfolios of other deputy governors, taking away some departments from all three deputy governors. The monetary policy department, economic policy and research departments were earlier with R Gandhi, whose term comes to an end this month.
- Viral Acharya will be handling eight departments. Apart from the monetary policy and economic research departments, he would be in charge of corporate strategy and budget department, department of corporate services, department of statistics & information management, financial markets operations department, financial markets regulation department and international department.
- A search committee has been appointed to appoint a deputy governor. Traditionally, the position is open for internal candidates. Gandhi is eligible for a re-appointment, but for another year as a deputy governor can be appointed up to the age of 62.
Vishal Kaul appointed as Chief Operating Officer of Ola Cabs
- Vishal Kaul, a PepsiCo veteran, was on 23 January 2017 appointed as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the ride-hailing service Ola Cabs.
- Kaul will head Ola’s operations, strengthen Ola’s market leadership and will work to expand its reach across the country and widen the base of Ola’s customers and driver-partner fraternity.
- Moreover, the company also elevated current COO Pranay Jivrajika as the Founding Partner. An alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, Jivrajika had earlier served as Associate Vice-President and Vice-President of Ola Operations before taking over as COO in February 2015.
Awards & Honors:
Delhi airport wins Corporate Social Responsibility award in aviation sector
- The Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) on 22 January 2017 announced that it won the prestigious Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility in the aviation transport sector for the year 2016.
- The award was presented on 20 January 2017 at a ceremony during the 11th International Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility.
- More than 325 responses were received for the annual awards in 2017. Out of them, 191 applications were shortlisted. They were then subjected to a three-tier assessment process for final selection.
- Earlier in January 2017, DIAL also won the 6th EPC World Awards for its contribution in the infrastructure and construction sector.
Sushmita Sen to judge the 65th Miss Universe pageant
- Former Miss Universe Sushmita Sen will be on the judges panel of the upcoming 65th edition of Miss Universe pageant. The news was announced in the third week of January 2017.
- The contest will take place on 30 January 2017 in Philippines.
- Roshmitha Harimurthy will represent India at the 65th Miss Universe pageant.
- Born on 19 November 1975, Sushmita Sen is the first Indian to win the Miss Universe crown. She had won the pageant of 1994 held in Manila, Philippines.
Saina Nehwal wins 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold
- Saina Nehwal on 22 January 2017 won the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Women’s Singles title.
- Nehwal defeated Thailand’s Pornpawee Chochuwong by a score of 22-20, 22-20 in a 46-minute clash.
- It was Nehwal’s 23rd title overall and the first after 2016 Australian Open.
- On the other hand, Men’s Singles title was won by Hong Kong’s Ng Ka Long. Berry Angriawan and Hardianto clinched the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Men's Doubles, while Jongkolphan Kititharakul and Rawinda Prajongjai lifted the Women’s Doubles title. Mixed Doubles title was grabbed by Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing.
Urdu poet and lyricist Naqsh Lyallpuri passes away
- Renowned Urdu poet Jaswant Rai Sharma, known to the world by his pen name Naqsh Lyallpuri, passed away on 22 January 2017 following a prolonged illness. He was 89.
- He got his first break in 1952 in the film Jaggu with the song Agar Teri Aakhon Se Aakhein Mila Doon, while he got the real success in the 1970s.
- Over the years, he collaborated with some top film directors, music directors and singers and penned various soft melodies, romantic numbers and emotional songs.
- He wrote the lyrics in films like Chetna, Aahista Aahista, Tumhare Liye and Gharonda among others.
- However, he made a brief comeback in 2005-06 penning songs for the films Taj Mahal with Naushad and Yatra with Khayyam.