Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 13th January, 2017. These are important for the upcoming RBI Assistant Mains, IPPB Mains and Other exams.
Banking and Financial News:
MoUs worth Rs. 8835 crore signed in textile sector during Vibrant Gujarat 2017
- Union Textiles Minister Zubin Irani on 12 January 2017 announced that Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 8835 crore were signed in textile sector. The MoUs were signed during 8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2017 in Gandhinagar.
- The MoUs cover different sectors of textiles such as textile parks, textile processing, equipment, carpet production, etc.
- Gujarat is known by various names such as Textile State of India, Manchester of the East and Denim Capital of India.
- The State is a leader in textiles with more than 1500 medium and large textile units.
- Gujarat's textile market is estimated to be around 25 billion US dollars by 2017.
- Gujarat produces 29% of India’s total cotton production.
- Globally, India has 2nd largest textile manufacturing capacity. It also has 59% of the world’s loom capacity.
- India is home to 24% of the world’s spindle capacity.
- The textile sector is the second largest employer after agriculture.
Non-financial News - India and States:
India successfully test-fires Guided Pinaka rocket
- India on 12 January 2017 successfully test-fired the Guided Pinaka rocket from Integrated Test Range (ITR) launch pad at Chandipur in Odisha. The test-firing of the rocket met all mission objectives.
- The Guided Pinaka, also known as Pinaka Rocket Mark-II, evolved from Pinaka Mark-I. It is equipped with a navigation, guidance and control kit. The conversion considerably enhanced the range and accuracy of Pinaka.
- The Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) Pune, the Research Centre Imarat (RCI) Hyderabad and the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) Hyderabad jointly developed the Guided Pinaka.
- Each Pinaka battery consists of six launcher vehicles (each with 12 rockets), six loader-replenishment vehicles, three replenishment vehicles, two Command Post vehicles with a Fire Control computer and the DIGICORA MET radar.
Aakhiri Ahuti, Free-of-cost service to ferry remains of NE people, launched
- Delhi Police and budget carrier IndiGo in January 2017 launched ‘Akhiri Ahuti’ a humanitarian initiative under which the bodies of the North-east residents who die in Delhi will be carried to their homes.
- Under the initiative, the Gurugram (Gurgaon) based airline will ferry the bodies to their homes, without levying any charge. However, the service would be available only on the recommendation of the Delhi police.
- The initiative was ideated by Robin Hibu, a joint commissioner of Delhi police and the nodal officer for Northeast people after he faced several incidents in which people from the North-eastern states were cremated or buried in Delhi in absence of their family or friends.
- Financial constraints of the relatives of the deceased didn’t allow them to take back the body or come to Delhi and cremate the body.
- IndiGo President and Whole Time Director Aditya Ghosh said, “I personally believe that it is our honour to co-partner with Delhi Police to take the underprivileged domiciles of North-eastern states back on their final journey”.
Appointments - India and World:
Lt General Sarath Chand appointed new Vice Chief of Army Staff
- Lieutenant General Sarath Chand, Army Commander of Jaipur-based South Western Command, was today appointed as the new Vice Chief of Army Staff at a ceremony here.
- During the ceremony, Lt Gen Sarath Chand relinquished the reins of the Sapta Shakti Command here and paid tributes to the martyrs at the Prerna Sthal followed by reviewing Guard of Honour presented to him, the defence spokesperson release said.
- Lt Gen Sarath Chand was commissioned into the Garhwal Rifles in June 1979 and has had an outstanding professional career spanning over 38 years.
Awards & Honors:
Barack Obama awards Joe Biden with Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Outgoing US President Barack Obama on 12 January 2017 awarded Vice President Joe Biden with the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction, the highest civilian honour. It was a surprise tribute at the White House.
- The President honoured Biden with "an additional level of veneration." With this, Biden became the fourth person in US history to receive the award, alongside Pope John Paul II, Ronald Reagan and Colin Powell.
- He was first elected to the Senate in 1972. With this, he became the sixth youngest senator in the history of the United States of America.