Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 10th January, 2017. These are important for the upcoming RBI Assistant Mains, IPPB Mains and Other exams.
Non-Financial News – India and States:
World’s largest street light replacement programme dedicated to the nation
- Union Minister of Power Piyush Goyal on 9 January 2017 dedicated the Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) of the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) to the nation. The SLNP of SDMC is the world’s largest street light replacement programme.
- On this occasion, the minister also launched the EESL SL Compliant App for SDMC to address grievances regarding faulty street lights. Using this app, citizens can lodge complaints about faulty street lights. These complaints will be addressed to within a period of 48 hours.
About SLNP of South Delhi Municipal Corporation
- Under the Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP), SDMC area alone accounts for over 2 lakh street light replacements.
- The cumulative annual energy savings in SDMC through this programme is 2.65 crore kWh.
- This helps in avoiding capacity addition of 6.6 MW, which in turn results in a daily reduction of 22,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- Under Phase II of the SLNP, EESL has signed a tripartite agreement with BSES and SDMC to install 75,000 more street lights with more focus on installation in parks.
- The SLNP programme is presently running in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- A total of 15.36 lakh street lights have already been replaced in the country with light emitting diodes (LED) bulbs.
ISRO, CNES sign agreement on satellite launch technology
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and French Space agency (CNES) on 9 January 2017 signed a Partnership Agreement for satellite launch technology.
- The agreement was signed between ISRO Chairman Kiran Kumar and CNES President Jean-Yves Le Gall. This partnership agreement will enable France to benefit from the Indian model of streamlining the costs of space programmes.
- ISRO is the second partner of CNES, in terms of volume after NASA. The space programmes of both countries are complementary in terms of comparable size and sharing similar objectives.
- Moreover, CNES President Jean-Yves Le Gall also signed an agreement with Rahul Narayan for equipping Axiom Research Lab's lunar rover with two latest-generation CASPEX micro-cameras which was developed by CNES in partnership with French firm 3DPlus.
- Rahul Narayan is the CEO of leading Indian 'NewSpace' start-up Axiom Research Labs. Axiom Research has put forward TeamIndus, an Indian team competing for the Google Lunar XPRIZE which is a global competition for engineers and entrepreneurs to develop low-cost methods of robotic space exploration.
Maharashtra government launches India's largest WiFi service
- Maharashtra government on 9 January 2017 launched India’s largest public WiFi service called 'MumbaiWifi'. The facility was inaugurated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai.
- The facility will initially provide 500 wifi hotspots across different locations like Vidhan Bhawan, Bombay High Court, Kalanagar in Bandra and Mumbai Police Commissioner’s office.
- After inaugurating it, Fadnavis described the service as an important step towards digital empowerment. He informed that during the trial period in last week of December 2016, about 23000 users across the city signed up and downloaded more than 2 TB of data.
- He also reiterated the government’s commitment to providing 1200 WiFi hotspots by 1 May 2017.
- Later Fadnavis tweeted that the government is committed to resolving all problems regarding the connectivity and speed and provide a good internet surfing experience.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Nobel Prize Exhibition
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 9 January 2017 inaugurated the Nobel Prize Exhibition in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. While inaugurating the exhibition, he urged the budding scientists to help raise the people from poverty through science and technology.
- This year, the Nobel Media is holding the first Nobel Prize Series in India. The Nobel Prize Series 2017 of India will feature a five week long Science Exhibition which is being set up by the Nobel Foundation with exhibits from the Nobel Museum at Stockholm, Sweden.
- The exhibition will be coordinated by the Department of Biotechnology in Delhi. Nine Nobel laureates will be attending the exhibition. These Nobel laureates will interact with students of Indian Universities.
- One of these Nobel laureates include India-born and Gujarat-educated scientist Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan. He won 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on ribosome structure. He shared the prize with fellow scientists Thomas A Steitz and Ada Yonath.
Awards & Honors:
Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2017 conferred
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 9 January 2017 presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2017 to 30 personalities. The awards were presented during the occasion of the 14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas held in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- In 2016, it was decided that the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas conventions will be held after an interval of two years. Therefore, the number of awards to be conferred for Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2017 has been doubled to 30.
- For the year 2017, the jury also considered the contribution for achievements on philanthropic investments and charitable work in India and for contribution towards India’s development.
- It is for the first time that an Indian woman living in Saudi Arabia was honoured with the Award. Zeenat Musarrat Jafri, along with her husband, set up the first Indian school in Riyadh in 1982. She was awarded for her contribution to the education of the Indian community.
74th Annual Golden Globe Awards announced
- The 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards were announced on 9 January 2017 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the USA. These annual awards honour the best in Motion Pictures and Television for the year 2016.
- Moonlight won the award for the Best Motion Picture (Drama) while best Actor and best Director Awards were conferred to Casey Affleck for the movie Manchester by the Sea and Damien Chazelle for the movie La La Land, simultaneously. Isabelle Huppert won the Best Actress Award for the movie Elle.
- La La Land won all seven awards for which it had been nominated. With this, it became the most successful film in Golden Globe Awards history.
Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016
- Ace Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo on 9 January 2017 was honoured with the Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016 award in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Ronaldo garnered 34.54% of total votes to grab the title. He beat Barcelona's Lionel Messi, who scored 26.42% of total votes, and Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann (7.53% of total votes) to the prize.
- Also, the votes from over 45000 players around the world selected the FIFA FIFPro World11 as the dream team of 2016.
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player 2016: Carli Lloyd
- The Best FIFA Men’s Coach 2016: Claudio Ranieri
- The Best FIFA Women’s Coach 2016: Silvia Neid
- The FIFA Puskas Award 2016: Mohd Faiz Subri
IIT Kharagpur alumnus Parag Havaldar wins Technical Oscar Award
- IIT Kharagpur alumnus Parag Havaldar on 9 January 2017 won the prestigious Technical Achievement Award, popularly called the Technical Oscar which is awarded by the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences.
- He was awarded for the development of expression-based facial performance-capture technology at Sony Pictures Imageworks.
- He will be awarded a certificate from the Academy at Beverly Hills on 11 February 2017.
- The Technical Achievement Award or Scientific & Technical Award was first presented at the 4th Academy Awards ceremony in November 1931.
Days & Observance:
12th World Hindi Day celebrated across the world
- The 12th World Hindi Day was celebrated on 10 January 2017 across the world. To mark the occasion, special events were organised by non-resident Indians (NRIs) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) to spread the greatness of Hindi language.
- World Hindi Day was first observed on 10 January 2006. The day is celebrated alongside the National Hindi Diwas that is being celebrated on 14 September.
- The National Hindi Diwas is celebrated annually to mark the day, 14 September 1949, on which the Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the Official Language of the Union.
- The World Hindi Day seeks to promote Hindi at the global stage, while the National Hindi Diwas is celebrated across the country.
Appointments – India and World:
Vikram Pawah new President for BMW Group India
- Vikram Pawah, 45, has been appointed as the president of BMW Group India, effective March 1, 2017. He will take over from Frank Schloeder, who will assume new position at BMW Group headquarters in Germany.
- Pawah brings 25 years of international experience both in the automotive and non-automotive industry. Previously, he has worked with Honda Cars in India and Australia. Most recently, he was the Managing Director of Harley-Davidson India.
- Schloeder, acting President, BMW Group India will return to BMW Group Headquarters in Germany, where he will assume the position of Head of Business Steering - Luxury Class.
Pakistan test-fires nuclear-capable submarine cruise missile Babur-3
- Pakistan on 9 January 2017 successfully test-fired the first submarine-launched Cruise Missile Babur-3 from an undisclosed location in Indian Ocean.
- The missile was fired from an underwater mobile platform.
- It is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead of up to 450km.
- It is a sea-based variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Babur-2+.
- The missile is capable of delivering nuclear strikes from land, air and underwater as well.