Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 30 December, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IPPB PO Mains, NIACL AO Mains and RBI Assistant Mains 2016-17.
China's Pacific Construction Group inks $5.5-bn MoU with Gujarat govt
- Chinese infrastructure and construction major, Pacific Construction Group (CPCG), has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Gujarat Government's iNDEXTb to invest $ 5.5 billion (approx Rs. 37,000 crore) for developing infrastructure facilities in the State.
- The MoU was signed by Pacific Construction Group Chairman Yan Hao and iNDEXTb Managing Director Rajkumar Beniwal in the presence of Gujarat Chief Minister, Vijay Rupani, in Gandhinagar.
- The Chinese company is keen to invest in the areas of infrastructure sector, knowledge sharing, education innovations, GIFT City and iCreate through the MoU. Pacific Construction Group is positioned among the world's top 100 construction companies.
- A government statement said that Pacific Construction Group will be provided all support in connection with the necessary permissions, infrastructure facilities and incentives to implement its projects under the MoU.
Bank of Baroda inks MoU with HFL to provide dairy loans to farmers
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Heritage Foods (HFL) to provide dairy loans to farmers through the lender’s branches across the country. BoB and HFL will work jointly to provide dairy loans to the farmers which will benefit them in increasing their productivity and earnings under allied activities.
- Heritage Foods is in the business of procurement, processing and sale of milk and milk products.
- Bank of Baroda is a pioneer in various customer centric initiatives in the Indian banking sector. The Bank offers products and services such as deposits, loans, credit & debit cards, demat services, remittances, ECS (electronic clearing services), government business, etc.
Archana Nigam is new Controller General of Accounts
- The Centre has appointed Archana Nigam as the next Controller General of Accounts in the Finance Ministry.
- Prior to this appointment, Nigam was involved in the critical task of setting up of the accounting framework for the GST regime to be launched by Government in next financial year.
- Nigam, who is expected to assume charge as CGA on Monday, has been appointed in the place of M.J.Joseph, who is to superannuate on Saturday.
Union Government launches Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative
- J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare and Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister of Human Resource Development, on 29 December 2016 launched Swachh Swasth Sarvatra in New Delhi.
- The programme was launched to commemorate Good Governance Day. It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation to achieve better health outcomes through improved sanitation and increased awareness and healthy lifestyles.
Key highlights of Swachh Swasth Sarvatra
- The Swachh Swasth Sarvatra is a part of the Union Government’s flagship Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The initiative is focused on the twin objectives of constructing toilets and enabling behavioural change along with achieving open defecation-free India by 2019.
- The initiative incorporates three components.
Venezuela's oldest daily shuts over paper shortage
- Venezuela's oldest daily newspaper, El Impulso, a sharp critic of President Nicolas Maduro, is halting production because of a paper shortage, its publisher said today.
- Founded in 1904, the paper will suspend publication from Saturday because the state company charged with importing paper has stopped delivering its orders, publisher Carlos Eduardo Carmona said.
- The paper's editor-in-chief, Juan Carmona, told AFP it would give employees a holiday through mid-January.
- If no paper is received by then, the company will shut its print edition and maintain only its website — but will not back off its critical line on the socialist government, he said.
- El Impulso is a regional paper based in the western city of Barquisimeto.
China launches remote sensing satellites SuperView-1 01 and 02
- China on 28 December 2016 successfully launched two high-resolution remote sensing satellites SuperView-1 01 and SuperView-1 02 with an aim to get commercial images.
- These satellites were launched on-board of Long March 2D rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province.
- These satellites will provide commercial images at 0.5-meter resolution.
- They will be used for scientific purposes as well as on a commercial basis.
China operationalises world's longest bullet train line
- China in the last week of December 2016 commenced operations of Shanghai-Kunming line, one of the world's longest high-speed railways.
- The link joins the prosperous eastern coast to the less-developed southwestern part of the country.
- The launch of the Shanghai-Kunming line signifies that China’s high-speed rail grid has taken shape and connects almost all provinces on the Chinese mainland.
- The line is a part of the China Railway High-speed’s system of high-speed rail corridors, beginning in Shanghai and ending in Kunming.
Beipanjiang Bridge, 'world's highest bridge' standing 1850ft above a gorge opens
- Beipanjiang Bridge, the world’s highest bridge that connects the province of Guizhou and Yunnan in the remote mountainous part of China was opened to traffic on 29 December 2016. The bridge spans 1850 feet (564 meters) above a gorge over the Beipan River.
- Build at an expense of about USD 146.7 million dollars Beipanjiang Bridge will help in reducing the road travel time between Xuianwei to Liupanshui from five hours to two.
- As per reports, the bridge surpassed the 1837-foot-tall Sidu River Bridge for its world record title.
Hollywood actress Debbie Reynolds passes away
- Hollywood legend Debbie Reynolds, mother of actress Carrie Fisher, passed away on 28 December 2016 following a brief illness. She was 84.
- Her death came just one day after the death of her daughter Carrie Fisher, who died on 27 December 2016 following a heart attack.