Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 23 December, 2016. These are important for the upcoming RBI Assistant Mains, IPPB PO Mains, NIACL AO Mains and RBI Assistant Mains 2016-17.
Tripura to adopt cashless payment system in public transactions from New Year
- The government of Tripura has decided to adopt for cashless payment in all public transactions, starting from 1 January 2017.
- The government has already initiated the process of opening bank accounts including issuing RuPay cards to people who do not have any bank accounts.
- According to the Chief Secretary of the state, Yashpal Singh, 80% people in Tripura already have at least one bank account. So, the state government took the initiative of opening bank accounts for those who don’t have such as the tea garden and brick kiln workers.
- By New Year, the government plans to convert the state into a cashless economy by ensuring that all its state departments deal mostly in digital payments.
- Apart from this, the government is also building digital infrastructure in the Agartala government medical college & hospital, Tripura medical college and hospital and Indira Gandhi Memorial hospital. The move has been made to help families of patients, to enable them to make digital payments.
Indian Railways partnered with JICA for Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Project
- Indian Railways, National High Speed Rail Corporation and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on 21 December 2016 signed a Memorandum for General Consultancy.
- Under the tripartite consultancy agreement, JICA promotes smooth implementation of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Railway Project.
Highlights of the Memorandum for General Consultancy
- The general consultancy involves providing design and bidding assistance for the public works and systems required for the construction of the project.
- The JICA will bear the cost of general consultancy up to 2020.
- The memorandum is an outcome of the Japan-India Summit level talks in December 2015.
Amul all set to invest Rs 200 Cr in Bengal
- Amul, the popular Indian dairy cooperative is planning to invest Rs 200 Cr in a Centralised Milk Processing Plant in West Bengal.
- The plant is located at Kandua Food Park in Howrah district’s Sankrail town. The work on the plant is expected to start in 2017 and be completed by the end of 2018. The proposed plant will process milk and other products such as UHT milk, ghee and yoghurt.
About Kandua Food Park
- It has been developed by WBIDC to cater to the needs of producers and manufacturers of food and agricultural products.
- Built on the concept of an industrial cluster, the park is an attempt to bring together different agricultural processing units and their support facilities to one single location so that they all benefit from the shared infrastructure.
North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy inaugurated in Shillong
- The Minister of State for AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik on 22 December 2016 formally inaugurated the North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy (NEIAH) in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- The objective of the NEIAH is to provide good quality medical graduates in traditional medicine generate employment and promote tourism in the North East.
About North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy (NEIAH)
- It is an autonomous Institute under Union Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH).
- With this inauguration, the institute has become the second Ayurvedic College in the North East Region with a Homeopathy college.
- It is the only Central Academic Institute of AYUSH in the North East Region.
- Its primary aim is to produce quality human resource in the area of AYUSH in general and the Ayurveda and Homeopathy in particular.
List & Indexes –
NITI Aayog launches Performance on Health Outcomes index
- Government think tank Niti Aayog on Friday launched a performance index on health services to nudge states to improve health outcomes and improve data collection systems.
- "This initiative (launch of 'Performance on Health Outcomes' index) is envisioned to bring about the much-required improvements in the social sector outcomes, which have not kept pace with the economic growth in the country. It will be used to propel action in the states to improve health outcomes and improve data collection systems," Niti Aayog said in a statement.
- The index is launched along with Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It is meant to capture the annual incremental improvements by states rather than focus on historical achievements, it noted.
- Secretary-Health C K Mishra and CEO Niti Aayog Amitabh Kant jointly released the guidebook for the exercise in the first of a series of regional workshops to be conducted across the country until February, it added.
- The government's think tank further said it is anticipated that the index will assist in the state-level monitoring of performance, serve as an input for providing performance-based incentives and improvement in health outcomes, and meet citizens' expectations.
- The statement said the index has been developed over several months with inputs from domestic and international experts, including academicians and development partners, seeking feedback from states.
Salman Khan tops Forbes India Celebrity rich list
- Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has unseated his actor Shah Rukh Khan to become the top earning celebrity of 2016 in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 List with an estimated income of Rs. 270.33 crore.
- The other leading names in the list include skipper Virat Kohli, actor Akshay Kumar and M S Dhoni chronologically.
- However, the 50-year-old Salman is ranked at No 2 in terms of fame, which is topped by ace cricketer Kohli.
- In the fifth rich 100 celeb list released by Forbes India, the ranking is based on two parameters: estimates of entertainment-related earnings and estimates of fame during the period October 2015 to September 2016.
- The magazine attributed the rise of Salman to his box office hits — the Sooraj Barjatya-directed ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ in late 2015 and then ‘Sultan’ in 2016.
- The magazine further said Salman’s estimated total earnings constitutes 9.84 per cent of the total wealth of the top 100 celebs at Rs. 2,745 crore for the year.
- SRK at No 2, has reportedly earned Rs. 221.75 crore and also comes at No 3 in terms of fame. He lost his perch at the top in what was a mixed year for him both in terms of box office success and brands endorsed.
- When it comes to fame ranking, Test cricket captain Virat Kohli is the most popular celebrity and this has improved his earnings rank to No 3 with a reported Rs. 134.44 crore earnings. In 2015, Kohli was ranked No 7.
Shiva Keshavan won gold at Asian Luge Championship
- Sheva Keshavan, the Winter Olympian from India, won the gold medal at Asian Luge Championship on 23 December 2016. He braved an injury to clinch the gold at the championship in Nagano.
- Keshavan who dominated the event finished the 2 heat race in 1:39.962 seconds. 103.4 km/hr was his top speed in the race.
- Tanaka Shohei of Japan clinched the silver medal in the event with a combined time of 1:44.874 seconds. His top speed was 124.6 km/hr. On the other hand, the bronze medal went to Chinese Taipei’s Lien Te-An. He completed the race in 45.120 with a top speed of 126.3 km/hr.
India wins bronze at women's U18 Hockey Asia Cup
- India on 22 December 2016 defeated South Korea 3-0 to secure the bronze medal at the 4th Women's U18 Asia Cup 2016 hockey tournament in Bangkok.
- After the win, Hockey India announced cash rewards of Rs.1 lakh for each player. It also announced Rs.50000 for each member of the support staff.
- In the first half of the game, both teams played were goalless. The best chance of the half fell to India’s Mahima Choudhary. India took the lead minutes after the break as Ritu scored the opener off a penalty corner. Sangita Kumari scored in the 55th and 58th minutes.
- China was the winner of the Women Under-18 Asia Cup. The country emerged victorious with a 4-2 victory over defending champions Japan in the final at the National Hockey Training Centre.
China launches TanSat satellite to monitor global carbon emissions
- China on 22 December 2016 launched TanSat satellite, a global carbon dioxide monitoring satellite, to understand the climate change.
- This 620-kg satellite was put into orbit by Long March-2D rocket from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China's Gobi Desert. China is the third country to monitor greenhouse gases through its own satellite after Japan and the US.
- This was the 243rd mission of the Long March series rockets. Besides TanSat, the rocket also launched a high-resolution micro-nano satellite and two spectrum micro-nano satellites for agricultural and forestry monitoring.
Indian-American Pradeep Gupta elected Mayor of California
- An Indian-American engineer has been elected as Mayor of South San Francisco city in the US state of California.
- Pradeep Gupta, an IIT Chennai alumni, was sworn in as the Mayor of the city early in December, a media release said.
- With this he has become the second Indian-American to be elected as the Mayor of the Californian city.
- Gupta was appointed to the South San Francisco City Council for a one-year term on December 31, 2012 and was elected to a full four-year term in November 2013.
- Prior to his appointment to the City Council, he was on the South San Francisco Planning Commission for three years, serving as the Commission's Chair in 2011.