Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 25th November, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IPPB PO Mains, NIACL AO Mains, IBPS Clerk Mains, IBPS RRB OS-I Mains and RBI Assistant Mains 2016-17.
INOX Leisure ties up with SBI for dispensing cash
- After Big Bazaar, multiplex chain INOX Leisure on Friday said it has partnered with the State Bank of India to allow customers withdraw cash up to Rs 2,000 by using debit cards beginning on Friday.
- The company added that the facility will be available across 17 properties starting today, and will be made available at the remaining 89 properties over the course of the weekend.
- The government recently allowed the withdrawal of cash of up to a limit of Rs 2,000 by swiping debit cards at select petrol pumps using point-of-sale (POS) transaction machines.
- Earlier this week, Future Group announced that customers can withdraw cash up to Rs 2,000 by using debit cards at all Big Bazaar and fbb stores from November 24.
Suzuki Two Wheelers partners with Paytm and HDFC for cashless transactions during demonetisation
- In order to help its customers during the cash crunch, Suzuki Motorcycle India Private Limited (SMIPL) has partnered with Paytm and HDFC Bank to offer cashless scheme on all its products.
- A customer can now book any Suzuki two-wheeler by paying an amount of Rs 20,000 through Paytm and financing the remaining amount. Upon vehicle delivery, the customers can also avail Rs 3,000 cashback from Paytm.
- A subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan, SMIPL is also providing 100 per cent finance for its two-wheelers to any government employee or HDFC Bank account holder.
- The customers without any income proof or an account with HDFC Bank can avail a limited period ‘low down payment scheme’ with 90 per cent finance for any Suzuki two-wheeler product.
MobiKwik gets NHAI nod for digitising payments at 391 toll plazas
- Commuters across the country can soon pay cashless at all toll plazas using their MobiKwik wallet. National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has roped in mobile wallet company MobiKwik to digitise payments at 391 toll plazas.
- This is expected to large extent avoid traffic congestion at highways, owing to the ill effects of cash crunch arising from the demonetization move of November 8.
- Already, the Government has - to ensure smooth traffic flow and mitigate currency hardships--further extended the date for toll exemption on national highways till midnight of December 2.
- The Government also said the scrapped Rs. 500 notes will be accepted at toll plazas on National Highways from December 2 midnight to December 15.
Airbnb signs MoU with SEWA to expand its network in rural areas
- Leading community-driven hospitality company Airbnb has announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Self-Employed Women's Association of India (SEWA).
- Through the partnership Airbnb will work with SEWA members to help them share their homes with Airbnb's community of international and domestic guests, creating economic opportunities for women in rural areas and promoting tourism spend in parts of India that have not traditionally benefited from tourism and hospitality.
- As part of the partnership, Airbnb and SEWA will expand the network of Airbnb homes in rural areas through SEWA's member network.
- The initiative will begin in Gujarat and eventually expand to other states that have a significant presence of SEWA members.
- It will train SEWA members on home sharing, hospitality and amenity standards, and responsible hosting practices. Airbnb will also help SEWA build a strong community of SEWA hosts who can learn from each other and constantly improve hosting standards.
Palampur Assembly Constituency becomes first e-Assembly of nation
- The Palampur Assembly Constituency of Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh became the first e-assembly constituency of the country. The system was inaugurated by State Assembly speaker Brij Behari Lal Butail at a function held in Palampur on 22 November 2016.
- The system will help the residents of the constituency to know about the development works going on by one click on the computer. In addition, the residents would also send their requirements about funds for different schemes in their respective areas online.
- This system would be introduced in other 67 constituencies of the state in next six months.
- Comment: This conversion of the Palampur into an e-constituency is Himachal Pradesh government’s commitment to Union Government’s Digital India mission.
- Note: It is necessary to mention that the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly was the first assembly of India to adopt the e-Vidhan system, making it paperless. This e-Vidhan system helped the state in automating the day to day functioning of assembly.
Upgraded Jaguar DARIN III aircraft receives IOC
- The upgraded Jaguar DARIN III twin-seat aircraft on 24 November 2016 received the Initial Operation Clearance (IOC). IOC is a significant milestone for India’s military aviation sector.
- This completion of IOC for DARIN III was announced by Deputy Chief of IAF, Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria. In recent past, he flew the aircraft at HAL airport in Bengaluru. Wg Cdr V Prabhakaran, the test Pilot of Aircraft & Systems Testing Establishment, was his co-pilot.
- HAL CMD, T Suvarna Raju said the aircraft is now equipped with world-class avionics system.
Yudhvir Singh Malik appointed Chairman of NHAI
- Yudhvir Singh Malik in the third week of November 2016 was appointed the new Chairman of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
- Malik, who worked as the Special Secretary with NITI Aayog, will replace Raghav Chandra.
- After Malik’s appointed, Chandra has been shifted to National Commission for Schedule Tribes.
Rajiv Kenue to take charge as Kenstar's new CEO
- Home appliance maker Kenstar on Friday announced the appointment of Rajiv Kenue as its Chief Operating Officer with immediate effect.
- Kenue will be responsible for contributing to Kenstar's strategy for establishing it as one of the most preferred premium brands in India. The brand is offering its patrons an extensive portfolio of products ranging from air coolers, water heaters, microwave, mixer grinders and a host of other kitchen appliances.
- In his role here, he will supervise brand building, product development and distribution expansion for Kenstar.
International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women 2016 observed across the world
- The 2016 International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women was observed across the world on 25 November 2016. The theme for the day is “Orange the World - raise funds to end violence against women”.
- The colour orange in the theme symbolizes a better future without the pervasive human rights violation that affects 1 in 3 women and girls all over the globe.
- The International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women is observed to raise awareness about violence against women and discuss solutions that would work for women community.
7000-year-old city discovered in Egypt
- Egypt recently uncovered a lost city, more than 7000 years old dating right back to its first dynasty in the southern province of Sohag.
- The site was unearthed during an archaeological mission initiated by the country’s government. It lies 250 miles south of Cairo, about 400 meters away from the temple of Seti I, one of the most famous religious sites in the region named after one of the least known pharaohs of the New Kingdom period of Ancient Egypt.
- The discovery includes huts, pottery remains, iron tools and 15 graves. The grave sizes look bigger than some of the royal ones belonging to the kings in Abydos, indicating that those who were buried beneath held a high social standing.
Awards & Honors –
Manoj Bajpayee wins 10th Asia Pacific Screen Award in Best Actor Category
- Bollywood actor Manoj Bajpayee on 24 November 2016 won the Best Actor Award at the 10th Asia Pacific Screen Awards, beating Nawazuddin Siddiqui who was awarded a special mention in the same category.
- Manoj won the Best Performance award for his role as Professor Siras in "Aligarh", a powerful and personal drama based on true events.
- While, Nawazuddin received a Special Mention in the Best Performance category for his role in Anurag Kashyap's "Raman Raghav 2.0".
- The winners in the 10th Asia Pacific Screen Awards were announced at an award ceremony in Brisbane. The event was hosted by Australian actor David Wenham and presenter Anjali Rao.
Veteran Journalist Dilip Padgaonkar passed away
- Noted journalist and former Editor-in-Chief of the ‘Times of India’, Dilip Padgaonkar passed away on 25 November 2016, following a heart attack and multi-organ failure. He was 72.
- He was brought into a private clinic in a critical condition on 18 November 2016, where he was put on ventilator support and dialysis. Though there was a team of doctors trying to revive him, his condition showed no improvement.
- Padgaonkar along with Information Commissioner Prof. M M Ansari and Prof. Radha Kumar formed a three-member interlocutors team, who were chosen by the Union Government in 2010 to conduct dialogues with the people of Jammu and Kashmir.