Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs update from 12 to 15 November, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IBPS Clerk Mains, IBPS RRB OS-I and Other Bank and Insurance Exams.
First set of new 500 banknotes rolled out in SBI branches
- The State Bank of India (SBI) launched the first set of newly issued 500 rupee notes in their Bhopal branch on 13 November 2016.
- The new notes are expected to help control the havoc caused by demonitisation of high-denomination currency and ease pressure on banks’ cash position.
- For SBI, which was only handing out 100 rupee notes until now, the introduction of new 500s will definitely help fasten their work process.
Design Elements of the New 500 Rupee Note
- Stone grey in colour, the 63mm x 150mm note has Mahatma Gandhi’s image on one side and Red Fort on the other.
- It bears a guarantee clause and the signature of Reserve Bank of India Governor, Urjit Patel.
- It has Swachh Bharat logo printed on the reverse.
- Its security thread will change from green to blue when tilted.
- It has Ashoka pillar emblem on the right.
- It also has the numeral value of 500 written in Devnagari script.
India, Japan signed 10 agreements including nuclear deal, space, agriculture
- India and Japan signed ten agreements to boost the bilateral cooperation between the two nations. The agreements were inked on 11 November 2016 in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe.
- Prime Minister was on a three-day visit (10 November to 12 November 2016) to Japan.
Agreements/MoUs that were inked and exchanged includes
- Agreement for Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy: The present Agreement provides for bilateral cooperation in the field of Nuclear Energy.
- Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on the Manufacturing Skill Transfer Promotion Program: The MoC that envisages to train 30000 Indian youth in the Japanese style manufacturing in the next 10 years was inked between the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Cooperation in the Field of Outer Space: The present MoU inked between ISRO and JAXA provide for cooperation in satellite navigation, planetary exploration and space industry promotion.
- MoU on Mutual Collaboration in Marine and Earth Science and Technology: This MoU aims at promoting cooperation in the areas of joint survey and research.
- MoC in the Field of Agriculture and Food Related Industry: It aims at deepening the bilateral cooperation in the fields of agriculture and food industries that includes food value chain networking and protecting Geographical Indication (GI) of agriculture products.
- MoU for Transport and Urban Development: The pact seeks to enable cooperation between National Investment and Infrastructure Fund Limited and Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation.
- MoU in the Field of Textiles: The MoU that aims to improve the quality of Indian Textiles for conformity assessment for Japanese market was signed between Textiles Committee of Union Ministry of Textiles and Japan Textiles Products Quality and Technology Centre (QTEC).
- MoC in the Field of Cultural Exchange: It seeks to provide a framework for bilateral cooperation in the field of Sports ahead of the forthcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympics & Paralympics.
- MOU for cooperation in the fields of academics, business, cultural cooperation, disaster management and environmental protection: It was signed between the State Government of Gujarat and Hyogo Prefectural Government, Japan.
India, US launched USD 95 million clean energy projects
- As part of its efforts to continue the global transition to zero-and-low carbon energy sources, the United States (US) has announced two financial projects worth 95 million US dollars for India. The projects announced on 14 November 2016 aims at bringing more energy-efficient appliances to rural sector of the country.
- The White House in its statement said the US has committed 75 million dollars in Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) financing for renewable energy projects in India. The 75 million US dollar OPIC, sponsored by ReNew Power Projects, is for a utility-scale PV project in Telangana.
- Rest 20 million dollars will be used to launch a partnership with the philanthropic sector to bring more efficient appliances to Indian villages. It is a part of 250 million facilities committed by the United States to support India’s 400 MW new solar power projects in different states of India.
- The process, known as the US-India Clean Energy Finance program (USICEF), will address a key financing gap in the Indian distributed solar market by funding early-stage project preparatory work. It is anticipated that the USICEF will unlock up to 400 million US dollars in long-term debt financing from OPIC and private sector investors.
Union Government launches ‘Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi’ medical facilities for ESIC beneficiaries of Delhi
- Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) launched ‘Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi’ medical facilities for its beneficiaries of Delhi. Kahin Bhi means any dispensary/Hospital and Kabhi Bhi means anytime.
- The initiative Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi’ was launched by Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labour and Employment, Bandaru Dattatreya.
- With this initiative, all the network of dispensaries of Delhi has been made accessible to insured persons and their family members all the time. The initiative aims at saving time of the beneficiaries as well as the effort that he/she makes to avail the services.
- Besides, Bandaru Dattatreya also inaugurated the ‘06 bedded Day Care Unit’ of ESI Dispensary in Sector-7, Dwarka in Delhi. With this, the ESIC Dispensary Dwarka turned up to be a complete unit in itself with several medical facilities. The facilities available in Dwarka dispensary includes General OPD Care, Family Welfare Services, full time Laboratory and X-Ray and Diagnostic care.
2 Lakh diesel vehicles go off road in Delhi
- The order covers all diesel vehicles older than 15 years. Along with barring them from the roads, the NGT has also banned them from being parked in the capital.
- The transport department has created a list of deregistered vehicles. The number totals to about 1.91 lakh.
- The list has been sent to the traffic police along with instructions to impound them immediately.
INSV Mhadei Flagged Off with an all-women crew
- Indian Navy Sailing Vessel (INSV) Mhadei with an all-women crew was flagged off from Goa to Cape Town, South Africa. The vessel was flagged-off at the Boat Pool of INS Mandovi on 9 November 2016 by Rear Admiral Monty Khanna, Commandant Naval War College.
- The vessel that will reach Cape Town on 15 December 2016 will be participating in the “Cape to Rio Race” (Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro). The race will start from Cape Town on 26 December 2016.
Gujarat government to open generic medicine stores for poor patients
- Gujarat government has decided to start Deendayal generic medicine stores to sell generic medicines. These stores will remain open 24 hours and sell around 1000 generic drugs to the poor patients at 40 to 80 percent lower rates.
- As per the decision announced on 10 November 2016, in the first phase, 52 stores will be opened in cities and towns. In a statement, Minister of State for Health, Shankar Chaudhary said, trained staff will operate these computerised stores.
- In the second phase, the number of drugs will be increased to 2000.
- These stores will also be opened at tehsil level.
- The stores will also operate on a franchise model.
- Generic, branded generic, over-the-counter medicines and surgical implants will be available at stores.
- Besides, the state health minister Shankar Chaudhary also launched a Mobile application named 'G-Dava'.
Meng Hongwei elected as Interpol President
- Meng Hongwei, a top-level Chinese Security Minister was elected as the president of the International Crime fighting and police cooperation organization (Interpol). Meng will serve as President until 2020.
- With this appointment, Meng Hongwei becomes the first official from China to take the post. He has previously served as the head of Interpol China. At the time of this appointment, he was holding the position of China’s Vice Minister for public security.
- He was sworn into his new position on 10 November 2016 at the closing of the organisation’s 85th general assembly in Bali, Indonesia.
Narinder Batra elected as International Hockey Federation’s President
- Narinder Batra, chief of Hockey India was elected as the new president of International Hockey Federation (FIH) on 12 November 2016 at the 45th FIH Congress held in Dubai. Amoung 118 voters, only 110 voted while eight chose not to vote.
- With the win, Batra became the 12th president of FIH and the first non-European to take over the post in the International body’s 92-year-old history.
Twitter’s Chief Operating Officer Adam Bain quits
- Twitter on 9 November 2016 announced that Adam Bain, its Chief Operating Officer (COO), plans to leave the company.
- In August 2016, Bain had celebrated his six-year anniversary at Twitter. Over his time at the company, he helped build Twitter’s ad efforts from the ground up. He was once considered a top candidate to be the chief executive of the company before Jack Dorsey got the job.
- After Bain’s decision, Twitter’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Anthony Noto will be promoted to the position of COO.
Moon came close to Earth after 1948
- The moon came closer to Earth than at any other time since 1948. The 'supermoon' reached its brightest in Asia on 14 November 2016. The Moon was closest, only 2 lakh 21 thousand 524 miles (356509 km) away at 11:21 GMT.
- With this, the full moon came closest and appeared the largest in a period of 68 years. The day, gave an opportunity to sky-gazers around the world to assemble near landmarks, on beaches and atop tall buildings to have a look at the Super Moon (perigee full moon).
- Last time, the moon came closer to earth on 26 January 1948 and next time it will come this close to Earth again on 25 November 2034. On that occasion, it will be even closer, that is, it will be at a distance of 2 lakh 21 thousand 485 miles.
New trade route via Gwadar port inaugurated in Pakistan
- Nawaz Sharif, Prime Minister of Pakistan, on 13 November 2016 inaugurated the operational activities of the strategic Gwadar Port, located in the south-western Balochistan Province.
- Sharif and General Raheel Sharif, Army Chief of Pakistan, welcomed the first large shipment of Chinese goods through the port.
- The deep-water port is the key to the 46 billion US dollar China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) that also includes roads and energy projects.
China launches pulsar navigation satellite XPNAV-1
- China on 10 November 2016 launched a pulsar test satellite XPNAV-1 from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China. The satellite was carried by a Long March-11 rocket.
- It was the 239th flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
- The satellite and the rocket were designed by academies affiliated with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp.
Aditi Ashok becomes first Indian to win Ladies European Tour title
- Indian golfer Aditi Ashok on 13 November 2016 became the first Indian woman to win a Ladies European Tour title by clinching the Hero Women's Indian Open.
- Ashok shot an even par-72 in the final round to win the title.
- The golfer took her total score to three-under 213, one stroke clear of Brittany Lincicome of the US and Spaniard Belen Mozo who finished tied second.
Tejaswin smashes 12yr old national senior record in high jump
- Tejaswin Shankar, a 17-year-old boy from Delhi, smashed the 12-year-old national senior record of high jump with an effort of 2.26 meter.
- With this, he managed to win the gold in the Under-18 category on the opening day of the 32nd National Junior Athletics Championships in Coimbatore.
- Tejaswin achieved the rare feat of a junior athlete breaking the national senior record. He broke 2.25 meter record of Harishankar Roy of West Bengal, who broke Chandrapaul Ratni’s previous mark of 2.17 metres at the Asian All Star Athletics Meet in Singapore.
World Pneumonia Day observed with theme Keep the Promise, Stop Pneumonia Now
- World Pneumonia Day 2016 was observed on 12 November 2016 across the world with the theme Keep the Promise, Stop Pneumonia Now.
- To mark the occasion, special programmes were held to raise awareness of pneumonia, promote prevention and treatment and generate action to fight the illness.
- Pneumonia is a leading cause of death for children under the age of five years around the world. The evidence shows that integrated approaches to protect, prevent and treat pneumonia in children are needed.
World Diabetes Day 2016 observed across the world
- The World Diabetes Day 2016 was observed across the world on 14 November with the theme Eyes on Diabetes.
- Many activities were conducted with the main focus on promoting the importance of screening to ensure early diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and treatment to reduce the risk of serious complications.
Noted geophysicist Janardhan Negi passes away
- Noted geophysicist Janardhan G Negi passed away on 10 November 2016 in Hyderabad following a brief illness. He was 81.
- He was known for making outstanding contribution in understanding earthquakes, mass extinctions, especially dinosaurs and the movement of the Indian sub-continent plates.