Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 6th and 7th November, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IBPS PO Mains, IBPS Clerk Mains and RRB OS-I Mains exam 2016.
- GREY HIGHLIGHTER - Very Important Current Affairs
- GREEN HIGHLIGHTER - Very Important for STOCK GK
First Bank in India: City Union Bank's pilot robot to be deployed first in Chennai
- City Union Bank (CUB) plans to deploy robots in its branches, becoming the first bank in the country to do so. Japan's Soft Bank was the first to use a robot in banking operations.
- CUB's Managing Director & CEO N Kamakodi said that the 'CUB-Lakshmi' humanoid is a pilot project to be deployed in the bank's T Nagar branch in Chennai.
- Initially, the robot will answer generic banking related questions posed by customers. However, later it will be integrated with banking systems enabling transactions.
- The robot that has cost the bank around Rs 7-8 lakhs can save work for 3-4 persons and will be integrated with the bank's automation process as well.
- In case the pilot project succeeds, CUB plans to deploy around 25 robots in its branches by end of this year. The robots are customised verisons of models develpoped by a French firm.
Union Government launches Pradhan Mantri Yuva Yojana
- The Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) on 9 November 2016 launched the Pradhan Mantri YUVA Yojana to boost up an ecosystem of entrepreneurship for young people.
Highlights of the Yojana
- The scheme was launched for the time period of over five years (2016-17 to 2020-21) with a project cost of 499.94 crore rupees.
- It will offer entrepreneurship education and training to around 7 lakh students in 5 years through 3050 Institutes.
- It will also offer easy access to information and mentor network, credit and advocacy to build a way-out for the youngsters.
- The institutes under the Yojana include 2200 Institutes of Higher Learning (colleges, universities, and premier institutes), 300 schools, 500 ITIs and 50 Entrepreneurship Development Centres.
- These institutes will carry out the training through Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
- The Ministry also unveiled the guidelines for State Engagement under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana 2.0 (2016-2020). It allocated around 3000 crore rupees for the States to achieve its target of training 10 million people in over 4 years.
- It also launched the Lab Guidelines towards standardisation of lab equipment across skill development training centres in India.
- MSDE announced the institutionalisation of National Entrepreneurship awards for first generation achievers below 30 years for the very first time. The Entrepreneurship Awards will be given on 16 January 2017.
Deposits above Rs 2.5 lakh to face tax, penalty on mismatch
- Union Government on 9 November 2016 announced that cash deposits above 2.5 lakh rupees threshold under the 50-day window could attract tax plus a 200 percent penalty in case of income mismatch.
- It seems that the decision was taken to make sure that people would fail in converting their black money into the white one.
- The decision was announced by the Revenue Secretary Hashmukh Adhia.
Highlights of the decision
- The ministry would be getting reports of all cash deposited, above a threshold of 2.5 lakh rupees in every account, during the period of 10 November to 30 December 2016.
- The tax department would do matching of this with income returns filed by the depositors and suitable action may follow.
- Any mismatch with income declared by the account holder will be treated as a case of tax evasion.
- Earlier, the Union Government on 8 November 2016 allowed citizens to deposit in old currency of 500 rupees and 1000 rupee denominations in their bank accounts. These banknotes were declared invalid.
Global Rajasthan Agritech meet begins in Jaipur
- Global Rajasthan Agritech Meet (GRAM), a three-day international event, began in Jaipur on 9 November 2016. The main focus of the meet is to double the income of farmers through suitable technologies and agricultural activities.
- Australia, Netherland and Israel will be international partners of the meet. The representatives of these countries will share their new technology and agriculture activities with state's farmers. Representatives of industry and foreign delegation are also participating in the meet.
India’s first LNG-powered bus launched in Kerala
- India's first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) driven bus was launched on 8 November 2016 in Kerala.
- Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan jointly flagged off the first pilot run of the eco-friendly bus on the sidelines of the fourth meeting of the Group of Ministers, set up by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The LNG-driven bus was rolled out as part of the Union Government’s plans to use LNG.
Twitter partners with IndiaSpend to launch #Breathe
- Twitter India in partnership with non-profit data journalism initiative IndiaSpend have launched #Breathe, an independent and real-time air quality monitoring public service initiative on Twitter, the company said in a statement.
- Twitter said millions of Indians across 17 cities can now monitor the air quality they breathe with a single tweet.
- By tweeting #Breathe , people can access air quality levels in Agra, Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Delhi NCR, Gandhinagar, Kanpur, Lucknow, Mumbai, Pune, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi and Varanasi under the initiative.
- On tweeting, people will get an immediate visual auto-response tweet in the form of an infographic card with a measurement of the air quality -- comprising air quality index, air quality levels, reading of particulate matter 2.5 and 10, along with the possible impact this air quality will have on health.
- #Breathe is a public service initiative aimed at leveraging technology to provide citizens, institutions, media and civil society organizations with real-time data to catalyze participative engagement within communities, municipalities, state and central government, Twitter added. With this hashtag service, the company aims to empower citizens by increasing public awareness about the alarming rise in air pollution levels across major cities in India. The pilot phase of this launch recorded 100,000 tweets for the month of April 2016.
1st International Agro-biodiversity Congress concluded with adoption of Delhi Declaration
- The 1st International Agro-biodiversity Congress that was held in New Delhi from 6 November to 9 November 2016 concluded with adoption of Delhi Declaration on Agro-biodiversity Management. The event saw participation of 900 participants from 60 countries.
- During the Congress, the delegates of all countries discussed various aspects of access, conservation and use of the agro-biodiversity in 16 technical sessions, four satellites sessions, a gene-bank roundtable, a public forum, a farmers’ forum and poster sessions.
Ishaat Hussain appointed as interim Chairman of TCS
- Tata Sons Ltd on 9 November 2016 announced the appointment of Ishaat Hussain as the Chairman of IT giant, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) with immediate effect. He will hold the position until the name of a new chairman is announced.
- The announcement was delivered to the company (TCS) through a letter dated 9 November 2016 from Tata Sons Ltd. Hussain succeeds Cyrus Mistry, who was ousted from the position on 23 October 2016 by the board of Tata Sons Ltd. At that time, the board appointed Ratan Tata as the Interim Chairman of the group until another suitable candidate was chosen.
Kamala Harris becomes first ever Indian-American to win U.S. Senator seat
- California’s Attorney General Kamala Harris on 9 November 2016 became the first India-American to win the U.S. Senate seat from the state.
- Harris defeated fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez from her own party. She is the first black woman elected to the upper chamber in more than two decades. She is also the sixth black individual to be elected to the U.S. Senate.
- Harris will replace Barbara Boxer who announced her retirement in 2014 after serving more than two decades in the Senate.
Pramila Jayapal becomes first Indian-American woman to be elected to U.S. House
- Pramila Jayapal on 9 November 2016 became the first Indian-American woman to be elected to the U.S. House of Representative. She won the Senate seat from state of Washington.
- Jayapal received 57 per cent of the votes from Washington State, leaving behind her rival Brady Walkinshaw who secured 43 per cent votes.
World Science Day for Peace and Development 2016 observed across the world
- The World Science Day for Peace and Development 2016 was observed on 10 November 2016 across the world. The theme for 2016 is Celebrating Science Centres and Science Museums.
- To mark the day, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) conducted several discussions, special campaigns, visits to science museums for school children, etc to raise awareness of benefits of science worldwide.
- For 2016, the theme Celebrating Science Centres and Science Museums is chosen to highlight the importance of science centres and museums for capacity building, for advocacy and to send strong messages about the importance of science for sustainable development.