Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 18th October, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IBPS PO Mains, IBPS Clerk Mains, NIACL AO Mains and BOM PGDBF 2016 Exams.
RBI to hold first board meeting in Kanpur on Oct 20
- Reserve Bank Governor Urjit Patel will chair the central board meeting in Kanpur on October 20.
- This is first such instance that RBI will hold the meeting at this industrial city of Uttar Pradesh. It also happens to be the first central board meet under new Governor Patel.
- Patel will reach Kanpur tomorrow evening and will have interaction with industrialists and technocrats here, said Deepesh Tewari, Manager (Personnel).
- Tewari said there is no prior information about whether the Governor will interact with the media or not.
Bank of Baroda gets semi-naming rights for Sikanderpur metro station
- In an innovative marketing initiative, Bank of Baroda has acquired the semi naming rights of Sikanderpur Metro Station in Gurugram. This metro station will be re-named as “Bank of Baroda Sikanderpur” metro station.
- This is the first time that a public sector bank has bagged the naming right (semi naming right) of a metro station.
- Sikanderpur, which is an interchanging metro station, is the first and only metro station that directly connects to Gurgaon Rapid Metro.
- Daily around 85,000 people commute by this station, aggregating a whopping 300 lakh people a year.
- This initiative is expected to enhance the visibility of BOB and reposition it in a different innovative branding league.
Ashok Leyland unveils India's first indigenous electric bus
- Ashok Leyland Ltd on 17 October 2016 unveiled its Circuit Series electric bus. They are India’s first such indigenously made vehicle.
- The buses are designed and engineered in India. They are specifically developed for Indian road conditions.
- The zero-emission vehicle will be offered on multiple platforms and enjoys a subsidy under the government’s Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) and Electric Vehicles (FAME) scheme. It can travel 150 km on a single charge.
PM Modi inaugurates 3 hydropower projects in Himachal Pradesh
- Prime Minster Narendra Modi on 18 October 2016 inaugurated three hydropower projects of 1752 MW capacities in Himachal Pradesh. Inauguration of new hydropower projects will change economic horizon of Himachal Pradesh.
The three hydropower projects are
- 540 Megawatt generation capacity third phase of Parbati hydro power project of NHPC in Kullu district
- 412 Megawatt Rampur project of Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd in Shimla
- 800 Megawatt Kol Dam power project in Bilaspur district
Himachal Pradesh Governor Acharya Devvrat, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, Union Health Minister JP Nadda and Power Minister Piyush Goyal were present on the occasion.
Modi launches National SC/ST Hub
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday launched the National SC/ST Hub here to provide support to entrepreneurs from the community.
- With an initial outlay of Rs 490 crore, the hub will work towards strengthening market access/linkage, monitoring, capacity building, leveraging financial support schemes and sharing industry-best practices.
- It will also enable central public sector enterprises to fulfill the procurement target set by the government.
- The Public Procurement Policy 2012 stipulates that 4 per cent of procurement done by ministries, departments and CPSEs will have to be from enterprises owned by SC/ST entrepreneurs.
- The MSME sector, including the service segment, is a key driver of India’s economic growth as it contributes nearly 38 per cent to the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) and employs close to 11 crore people.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his budget speech had announced the setting up of the National SC/ST Hub under the MSME Ministry.
India completes nuclear triad with INS Arihant
- India on 18 October 2016 completed its nuclear triad by inducting country's first indigenously-constructed nuclear submarine INS Arihant into service.
- INS Arihant was formally commissioned by Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba in August 2016.
- INS Arihant is the lead ship of India's Arihant class of nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines.
National Summit on Fortification of Food inaugurated in New Delhi
- Anupriya Patel, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, on 16 October 2016 inaugurated National Summit on Fortification of Food in New Delhi.
- The Summit was inaugurated to address interventions in combating micronutrient malnutrition in the country.
- The two day summit was co-hosted by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in partnership with related union ministries/departments and development partners.
- During the Summit, Patel also released the standards on fortification of foods and launched the food fortification logo.
Amandeep Singh Gill appointed as India's Ambassador to UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva
- Amandeep Singh Gill was on 15 October 2016 appointed as the Ambassador of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Gill is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1992 batch.
- Gill’s diplomatic career includes assignments in Switzerland, Sri Lanka, Iran, and the Permanent Mission of India to the UN.
Geeta Phogat appointed DSP in Haryana Police
- Haryana Government today appointed international woman wrestler Geeta Phogat as a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in Haryana Police.
- A proposal of the Home Department was approved at a meeting of the state cabinet here today presided over by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
- An official spokesman said that Phogat is a graduate and a sportsperson of international repute. She is also a gold medallist of the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
Saina Nehwal appointed member of IOC's Athletes' Commission
- Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal was appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Athletes' Commission. Saina received a letter to the effect from the IOC President Thomas Bach on 17 October 2016.
- The letter read it is great pleasure to appoint you in consultation with the Chair, as Member of the Athletes’ Commission. This member can be termed as a rare honour for the Indian sportsperson.
- The Athletes' Commission is chaired by Angela Ruggiero and it comprises nine vice presidents and 10 other members. Saina's appointment to the prestigious panel has come just when she is set to resume practice after recovering from a knee injury.
Indian Wrestlers bagged four medals at 2016 TAFISA World Games
- Indian grapplers in October 2016 clinched four medals, including a gold medal, at the sixth edition of the TAFISA World Games in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Wrestler Dalmiya bagged the yellow metal in 60kg category after outplaying Muhammad Sahan of Azerbaijan 4-1 in the summit clash.
Other grapplers to win medal were
- Luv Singh – He clinched silver medal in the 80 kg category. In the summit clash, Luv Singh faced a 1-5 defeat by Muhammad Alim of Azerbaijan.
- Naveen Kumar – He clinched bronze medal in 90 Kg category. He defeated Oleg of Lithuania 5-2 to claim the bronze medal.
- Josil – He clinched bronze medal in the in the super heavyweight section. He defeated Mustafa Sultani of Afghanistan 3-1 to win the bronze medal for the country.
BRICS nations signed three agreements
- BRICS nations namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa on 16 October inked three agreements to boost the bilateral cooperation. The agreements were inked in Goa, India during the eighth BRICS summit.
- The eight BRICS summit was held from 15 to 16 October under the theme Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions.
List of MoUs signed by BRICS Countries include
- MoU for Establishment of BRICS Agricultural Research Platform
- MoU on Mutual Cooperation between Diplomatic Academies
- Regulations on Customs Cooperation Committee of the BRICS
China successfully launches longest Manned Space Mission
- China on 17 October 2016 successfully launched a manned spacecraft Shenzhou-11 carrying two astronauts. This was China’s longest-ever manned space mission.
- The 'Shenzhou-11' spacecraft was put into orbit by a Long March-2F carrier rocket after the launch. It was launched into space from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre near the Gobi Desert in northwest China.
- Wu Ping, Deputy Director of China's manned space engineering office said that the spacecraft will dock with orbiting space lab Tiangong-2 in two days and the astronauts, namely Jing Haipeng (50) and Chen Dong (38), will stay in the lab for 30 days.
Awards & Honors –
Robert De Niro to be honoured with Chaplin Award by Film Society of Lincoln Center
- The Film Society of Lincoln Center in the second week of October 2016 announced Robert De Niro as the recipient of the 44th Chaplin Award.
- De Niro will be presented with the award at an award gala on 8 May 2017.