Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here is a set of English Quiz for IBPS PO Prelims 2016.
Directions (Q. 1-5): Each question has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. Three unknown assailants ________ on motorcycles and opened________ barely a few metres from where the actor was shooting.
1) came, shooting 2) rode, rounds
3) arrived, fire 4) approached, hitting
5) climbed, shots
2. The police ________ in ________ a car theft case within a matter of two hours of registration of the complaint.
1) achieved, solving
2) victorious, catching
3) famed, arresting
4) succeeded, cracking
5) failed, assigning
3. The health ministry has approved major expansion of post-graduate seats in key departments of AIIMS to ________ the severe ________of specialists across the country.
1) address, dearth 2) correct, loss
3) improve, damage 4) rectify, limits
5) good, shortage
4. With the ________ wedding season, people are leaving no stone unturned to make their wedding cards look________.
1) prolonged, beyond 2) ongoing, special
3) instant, great 4) sudden, while
5) estimated, legible
5. The tourism data ________ that Indians are ________ the biggest spenders while on holidays.
1) says, within 2) reveal, amongst
3) proclaims, between 4) states, surrounded
5) speaks, amid
Directions (Q. 6-10): In the given passage, there are blanks each of which has been numbered. Against each five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
A strong economy would improve livelihoods and give hope for the future, but the lack of reliable electricity in the country has contributed to holding back prosperity. Over the past five years, GDP growth has averaged 3 per cent, too (6) to fight poverty and create jobs. Demand for power outstrips what the country can produce and (7). Planned and unplanned electricity outages of 12 to 16 hours daily nationwide (8) business, aggravate unemployment and spark angry protests. The country has (9) energy resources – an estimated 186 billion tonnes of coal, over 100,000 megawatts of hydro potential and wind potential of up to 3,46,000 megawatts. But the technology and investment to (10) these resources are limited. An over reliance on imported fuel has exposed the country to high oil prices and there isn't enough money to keep the system – a mix of private and state-run enterprises – running or to fix faulty infrastructure that leaks electricity. A resolution of power crisis is thus very critical to the survival of the country.
6. 1) much 2) low 3) required 4) tough 5) minimal
7. 1) represent 2) sufficient 3) adequate 4) amount 5) deliver
8. 1) run 2) happens 3) plans 4) effect 5) hurt
9. 1) ample 2) fix 3) worst 4) frequent 5) paucity
10. 1) lack 2) solve 3) waste 4) exploit 5) advantage