Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 27th September, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IBPS PO VI Mains, RBI Assistant, NIACL AO and Bank of Maharashtra PO Exams.
Pune smart City development Corporation signs MoU with European Business and Technology Centre
- The Pune Smart City Development Corporation (PSCDCL) has signed a two-year Memorandum of Understanding with the European Business and Technology Centre (EBTC) to leverage European Smart City solutions for the Pune Smart City project.
- The EBTC has been identified as the 'Knowledge and Technical Cooperation Partner for the Pune Smart City Project". The EBTC is a not-for-profit organisation, that promotes and helps customise European technologies and solutions through various programs to suit local requirements.
- The EBTC is a program initiated and constituted by the European Union (EU) and managed by EUROCHAMBRES, the Association of European Chambers of Commerce and Industry, with a company incorporated in India.
Oracle, Maharashtra government ink MoU to accelerate digital transformation
- Oracle and the Government of Maharashtra today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) intended to accelerate the state’s digital transformation initiatives.
- Leveraging Oracle Cloud solutions, Oracle and the Government of Maharashtra will develop the state’s smart city program, with the goal of making the state’s urban landscape more livable and inclusive, while driving economic growth.
- According to the MoU, Oracle and the Maharashtra Government will create a Center of Excellence (CoE) to help accelerate its smart city program and modernize the Government’s technology solutions.
- The CoE, housed in Mumbai, will serve as a research platform to design, develop and test new capabilities that will deliver better government-to-citizen (G2C) and government-to-business (G2B) services.
- Benefiting from the power of the Cloud, the CoE will enable rapid innovation with minimal capital expenditures. In addition, the CoE will offer a flexible and scalable common framework, as well as a team of experts, allowing individual cities to scale and replicate its solutions.
World's largest solar power plant opens in Kamuthi, Tamil Nadu
- Adani Green Energy (Tamil Nadu) Ltd on 21 September 2016 dedicated the world’s largest solar power plant of 648 megawatts to the nation.
- The plant has been set up with an investment of around 4550 crore rupees at Kamuthi in Ramanathapuram district of Tamil Nadu.
Puducherry Government decides to waive-off all farm loans
- Puducherry Government on 26 September 2016 decided to write off all farm loans taken from co-operative Banks in the Union Territory. As per the decision, the principal loan amount, interest and penal interest of all farmers will be waived off.
- The measure will cost the state Exchequer 20 crore rupees and benefit about 7000 farmers of the Union Territory.
- The decision was taken during the cabinet meet. It is based on the poll promises of the Congress-DMK government.
- The cabinet also approved to write off penal interest on Housing loans availed from Co-operative Banks. Those who had availed loan from the cooperative housing federation are prepared to repay the principal amount as well as the interest, if the penal interest is waived.
Agriculture Minister lays foundation stone of Gokul Gram at Mathura
- Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh laid the foundation stone of a Gokul Gram at Mathura in Uttar Pradesh for the conservation and development of native cattle breeds. On the occasion, he also announced setting up of 14 such Grams across the country as part of the Rashtriya Gokul Mission.
- Gokul Gram will work as a centre for development of native breed cattle and will also supplement resources of cattle farmers in breeding areas.
- Besides, the agriculture minister also inaugurated a waste sewage-water treatment plant and four days Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Krishi Unnati Mela - 2016, in Mathura. This plant has developed a unique indigenous technique facility for treatment & recycle of sewage water into irrigation water by Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
Delhi government signs MoU with German state for cooperation in higher education
- Delhi Government today signed an MoU with Thuringia, a state in east-central Germany, for extending cooperation between the two in areas of higher education.
- The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed at Delhi Secretariat between Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia and Georg Maier, State Secretary, Federal Free State of Thuringia.
- The MoU will facilitate exchange of faculty members, academic publications and information and development of collaborative research between the two.
International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons observed
- International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons was observed on 26 September 2016. The Day provides an occasion for the world community to reaffirm its commitment to global nuclear disarmament as a high priority.
- It also provides an opportunity to educate the public—and their leaders—about the real benefits of eliminating such weapons, and the social and economic costs of perpetuating them.
World Tourism Day 2016 observed with theme Tourism for All - promoting universal accessibility
- World Tourism Day 2016 was observed across the world on 27 September 2016. The theme of the World Tourism Day 2016 is Tourism for All - promoting universal accessibility.
- The theme for the year promotes accessible tourism for all to create environments that can cater for the needs of all of us, whether we are travelling or staying at home.
- The official World Tourism Day 2016 celebrations will be held in Bangkok, Thailand.
Google launches instant messaging mobile app Allo
- Google on 21 September 2016 launched its latest mobile chat application, Allo, along with Google Assistant that can be used in online conversations with friends.
- The messaging app, which is available for Android and the iPhone, has similar features to most other messaging applications.
- In Allo, messages are not encrypted end-to-end by default. However, the messages can be switched to an incognito mode to do so and set how long they exist before they are deleted.
- Allo's ‘Smart reply’ function uses Google's machine learning technology to suggest a reply to the last message, which can be selected from a few options.
- The feature also analyses images sent to the user in order to suggest responses.
- Similar to the smart reply feature seen in Google's Inbox app, it learns from the user's behaviour to adapt its suggestions over time.
- It supports Google Assistant, a conversational virtual assistant.
- A feature ‘Whisper Shout’ allows the user to increase or decrease the size of a message to represent volume.
Yashvardhan Sinha appointed India’s High Commissioner to UK
- Senior IFS officer Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha was on Tuesday appointed as India’s High Commissioner to the UK succeeding Navtej Sarna. Sinha, an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1981 batch, is currently serving as India’s High Commissioner to Sri Lanka. Sarna has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to the US.
- Earlier this month, the government had appointed 1988- batch IFS officer Taranjit Singh Sandhu as the next High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka to replace Sinha.
- Sinha, who is expected to take up his assignment shortly, is a seasoned diplomat and in his career spanning 35 years he has handled several important assignments at the MEA and in Indian diplomatic missions in South Asia, the Middle East, Europe, South America and the Permanent Mission of India at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran wins Belgium Open title of Table Tennis
- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran on 24 September 2016 won the men's singles title of the Belgium Open.
- Sathiyan won his first pro title by defeating Nuytinck Cedric 4-0 in the final 15-13, 11-6, 11-2, 17-15 at De Haan in Belgium.
- With this, Gnanasekaran became the second Indian table tennis player to win an ITTF event. Achanta Sharath Kamal is the first Indian to win an ITTF event in 2012.
Awards & Honors –
Union Minister Radha Mohan Singh presented Antyodaya Krishi Puruskars
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh on 25 September 2016 gave away Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Antyodaya Krishi Puruskars to 12 farmers for their contribution in the agriculture sector.
- They were felicitated during a function at the birth place of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay in Mathura.
- National Award for the year 2016: Krishna Yadav, an enterprising lady farmer from, Dinpur, Najafgarh, New Delhi for her outstanding achievements in the processing and value addition of food especially fruits and vegetables.