Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs from 6th to 8th August, 2016. These are important for the upcoming RBI Grade B Phase I and BMSB/Bank of Maharashtra PGDBF 2016 Exams.
HDFC ERGO launches political risk insurance policy
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company has launched political risk insurance policy, whereby companies operating internationally will be protected against the adverse effects of arbitrary government actions and their assets and/or investments will be insured against expropriation.
- While covering businesses against political violence, the policy will also protect businesses against unfavourable currency inconvertibility, the general insurer said in a statement.
- The policy is designed to protect investors’ investments in overseas markets against unpredictable losses due to specified political perils such as expropriatory acts, selective discrimination, forced abandonment, forced divestiture, political violence and currency inconvertibility, it added.
- Political risk insurance is available to investors, lenders, contractors, exporters, and other similar entities for safeguarding their foreign assets or investments.
- According to the company statement, this insurance solution would allow businesses to take advantage of the expansion opportunities in emerging markets in a more prudent manner and also to manage risks of any existing investments in an evolving political risk environment.
Union Government launches Swachh Survekshan-2017 to assess 500 cities
- Union Minister of Urban Development M.Venkaiah Naidu on 6 August 2016 launched Swachh Suvekshan-2017 project to assess and rank 500 cities based on levels of sanitation and efforts made by respective urban local bodies.
- It also aims to capture progress towards achieving Open Defecation Free status.
Highlights of the Swachh Survekshan-2017
- Cities will be ranked based on the reports by urban local bodies on the progress made towards construction of toilets, feedback of citizens and independent observation of sanitation levels.
- Cities with a population of one lakh and above each, heritage and tourism cities, capital cities with less than one lakh population are included in this survey.
- Quality Council of India which conducted the last Survey in 73 cities will conduct the survey in 500 cities and towns.
Swachhata App and Swachhata Helpline
- Naidu also launched a web portal Swachhata App and Swachhta Helpline 1969 to enable citizens associate more and more with Swachh Bharat Mission in urban areas.
- Citizens can post photos of unhygienic places in urban areas on Swachh App and they will be informed of action taken by respective urban local bodies in specific time period.
- Using toll free Helpline Number 1969, citizens can seek information about the ways of participating in cleanliness mission and can also enquire the status of their applications for construction of toilets.
Asli Tarakki campaign
- Asli Tarakki campaign was also launched to highlight the need for construction of toilets and using them well.
- This campaign will be mounted on TV channels and in print media.
IRCTC signs MoU with Manipur govt to provide hospitality & tourism services
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) and the Manipur government have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), which seeks to provide improved hospitality and tourism services to their customers by making 'joint use of their capabilities and facilities'.
- The MoU entails upon both the parties to identify areas of cooperation and draw up detailed plans for development of joint tourism products and opening and managing various catering and hospitality outlets, budget hotels and handicrafts shops at railway as well as non-railway locations.
- The areas where the two signatories would leverage their joint strength also include involvement of Self Help Groups (SHGs), setting up of water vending machines, use of Rail Neer (IRCTC's packaged water) and development of lounges and greeting services for tourists.
Telangana launches Water Resources Information System
- Telangana State Government on 6 August 2016 launched a unique Water Resources Information System to assess accurate reserves of water in thousands of Tanks and reservoirs across the state.
- For this purpose, the Telangana Irrigation Department signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Indian Space Research Organization over sharing satellite data.
- The new system will be set up by ISRO's National Remote Sensing Centre.
- The unique system will help the government authorities to plan for new irrigation projects as well as maintaining transparency in governance. The Water Resources Information will also pave way for other states to explore possibilities to utilize technology.
Odisha government launches Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana
- The Odisha government on 7 August 2016 launched a special assistance scheme for elderly weavers, ‘Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana’, to mark the National Handlooms Day.
- Under the scheme all weavers above the age of 60 years would get a monthly pension of 500 rupees, and those above 80 years would get 700 rupees.
- The scheme is aimed at improving the financial condition of over 8000 weavers, who have been working in this field for the last 20 years.
- The pension amounts would be directly sent to the beneficiaries bank accounts.
- On the occasion, chief minister Naveen Patnaik also gave away awards to weavers' cooperative societies who have been relentlessly promoting and producing the traditional weaves of Odisha.
PM Narendra Modi launches Mission Bhagiratha in Telangana
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 7 August 2016 launched Mission Bhagiratha at Komatibanda Village, Gajwel in Medak District of Telangana. The scheme was launched by the State Government with an objective to provide safe drinking water to all.
- The Prime Minister also unveiled plaques to lay Foundation Stones for important development projects. These included:
- 1600 MW Thermal Power station of NTPC at Ramagundam
- Revival of a Fertilizer Plant at Ramagundam; Kaloji Narayana Rao University of Health Sciences, Warangal and Manoharabad-Kothapalli Railway line.
- He also dedicated to the nation the 1200 MW Thermal Power Station of Singareni Collieries at Jaipur in Adilabad district.
Highlights of the Mission Bhagiratha
- Mission Bhagiratha is Telangana Water Grid Project intended to provide a sustainable and permanent solution to the drinking water woes.
- It is a pet project taken up at an outlay of 42000 crore rupees.
- Apart from creating a water grid for supply drinking water to houses, it aims to rejuvenate more than 45000 water tanks.
- The water grid project aims at reaching out drinking water supply to even remotest place in the State to every household across the State in the coming four years.
Union Government launches nation-wide programme MAA for promoting breastfeeding
- Union Health Minister J P Nadda on 5 August 2016 launched a nation-wide programme MAA - Mothers’ Absolute Affection for promoting breastfeeding.
- The goal of the programme is to enhance optimal breastfeeding practices.
- Madhuri Dixit chosen brand ambassador of of this programme.
- MAA is an intensified programme of the Health Ministry for creating an enabling environment to ensure that mothers, husbands and families receive adequate information and support for promotion of breastfeeding.
- The Ministry has allocated 30 crore rupees for the Programme and 4.3 lakh rupees for each district will be allotted for implementing the various activities under MAA programme.
- The chief components of the MAA Programme are Community awareness generation, Strengthening inter personal communication through ASHA, Skilled support for breastfeeding at Delivery points in Public health facilities, and Monitoring and Award/recognition.
Gymnast Dipa Karmakar becomes first Indian to qualify for Vault Finals
- Dipa Karmakar, the Indian Gymnast, on 7 August 2016 created history by becoming the first Indian gymnast to enter the Olympic final at the Rio Olympic Centre.
- The 22-year-old qualified for the final round in the Individual vault final of artistic gymnastics after finishing eighth on the standings.
- Competing in the third sub-division, Dipa had an average score of 51.665. She scored 14.850 by performing her much-vaunted ‘Produnova’ vault cleanly on the vault, 11.666 on the uneven bars, 12.866 in balance beam and 12.033 in floor exercises.
- American Simone Biles, the three-time world all-round champion topped the charts with a score of 16.050. North Korea's Jong Un Hong stood at the second position after securing 15.683 followed by Switzerland's Giulia Steingruber (15.266).
Vijay Rupani takes oath as Chief Minister of Gujarat
- Vijay Rupani, the newly elected leader of Gujarat BJP, was sworn in as the 16th Chief Minister of Gujarat on 7 August 2016. Rupani, who succeeds Anandiben Patel, was the senior most cabinet minister in Anandiben Government.
- Apart from Rupani, Nitin Patel was also sworn-in as the Deputy Chief Minister of the state.
- Gujarat governor OP Kohli has administered the oath of post and secrecy to the Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel at the Mahatma Mandir conference hall in Gandhinagar.
- Besides, new Council of Ministers of Vijay Rupani Government has also taken oath simultaneously. In total 25 ministers took oath, out of which 9 Ministers took oath as the cabinet Ministers, while 16 ministers took oath as Minister of state (MoS).
Manish Tandon appointed as CEO of CSS Corp.
- Manish Tandon was on 6 August 2016 appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the CSS Corp, a global Technology Support company. He will be inducted as a whole time Director of the board and as CEO.
- He will succeed TG Ramesh, the current CEO who now moves onto the role of a strategic advisor role as a non-executive director on the board.
2nd National Handloom Day observed across the country
- 2nd National Handloom Day was observed across the country on 7 August 2016 with the main function being held at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. On this occasion, Sant Kabir Awards and National Handloom Awards were presented.
- The Day was also celebrated at state level in all the states and Day was also celebrated in more than 200 handloom clusters.
- The first National Handloom Day was inaugurated on 7 August 2015 at the Centenary Hall of Madras University in Chennai, Tamil Nadu by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, where he also unveiled 'India Handloom' brand.
World Breastfeeding Week 2016 observed
- The 2016 World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is being observed across the world. The week is held every year from 1 to 7 August.
- The theme for the 2016 World Breastfeeding Week is Breastfeeding: A key to Sustainable Development. The theme aims at raising awareness of the links between breastfeeding and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The week is organized by World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA), World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNICEF.
China launches Tiantong-01; its first satellite for mobile telecommunication
- China on 6 August 2016 successfully launched its first satellite for mobile telecommunication, Tiantong-01.
- Tiantong-01 satellite was launched from southwestern China's Xichang Satellite Launch Center, with the Long March-3B carrier rocket. More geostationary satellites will be sent into orbit for the system.
- It is the first satellite of China's homemade satellite mobile telecom system, and a key part of the country's space information infrastructure.
Australian surfing champion Bernard Farrelly died
- Australian surfing champion Bernard Farrelly, best known as Midget for his slight size, died on 7 August 2016. He was 71.
- Bernard "Midget" Farrelly born on 13 September 1944 was an Australian world surfing champion.
- He won the first official surfing World Championship at Sydney's Manly Beach in 1964 and dominated the sport as it gained popularity during that decade.
- In 1963, he became the first Australian to win a surfing major at the unofficial world championships in Makaha, Hawaii.
Eminent Assamese litterateur Mahim Bora passes away
- Eminent Assamese litterateur Mahim Bora passed away on 5 August 2016 following old age problems at Nagaon district, Assam. He was 92. He is survived by a son and two daughters-in-law.
- Bora was a Padma Shri and Sahitya Akademi winner.