Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs for 3rd August, 2016. These are important for the upcoming Bank of Baroda PO & RBI Grade B Phase I Exams 2016.
SBI to offer overdraft facility to 7,00,000 small account holders
- State Bank of India (SBI) will offer overdraft facility to nearly 7,00,000 account holders enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY). The bank has opened nearly 100 million accounts under PMJDY so far.
- This apart, SBI is also planning to come out with small value insurance, investments and flexible deposit schemes.
- SBI continues to open around 60,000 accounts per day in the financial inclusion space, said Bhattacharya.
- Notably, the PMJDY scheme offers an overdraft facility of up to Rs 5,000 to account holders. A few public sector banks have also started offering such a facility to their account holders. Under the scheme, the facility is offered to people whose accounts have been functional for consecutive six months.
BSE signs MOU with IIT Kanpur for collaboration in the areas including cyber security
- Leading stock exchange BSE on Wednesday signed an agreement with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur for collaboration in the areas including cyber security.
- The key highlights of the MoU include cooperation for cyber security research in financial markets, developing an environment to deal with cyber security challenges and tools to strengthen cyber security as also to advise BSE in its cyber related issues.
- Among others, the institute will assist BSE in testing its vulnerabilities in IT system and network and help forming guidelines and auditing security operations.
BHEL commissions 500 Mw Marwa Thermal Power station in Chhattisgarh
- State-run BHEL has commissioned the second 500 Mw (megawatt) thermal unit at Marwa Thermal Power Station in Chhattisgarh.
- The first unit of Marwa TPS was also commissioned earlier by BHEL, it said.
- BHEL has been associated with power projects of CSPGCL, (the erstwhile Chhattisgarh State Electricity Board), from the time when the 120 MW Korba TPS extention-1 was commissioned in March 1976.
West Bengal Cabinet cleared proposal to rename the state as “Bengal”
- West Bengal Cabinet on 2 August 2016 cleared a proposal to rename the state as “Bengal” in English and “Bango” or “Bangla” in Bengali. The word “Bengal” has the state’s culture and heritage associated with it and so it has been decided to change it.
- West Bengal Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee said that a special session of the Assembly will be convened on 26 August to pass a resolution to this effect. Later, it will be sent to the Union Government for approval by the Parliament as changing of the name will require its approval.
BJP Parliamentary Board accepts resignation of Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel
- BJP Parliamentary Board on 3 August 2016 accepted the resignation of Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel. She will meet State Governor OP Kohli to submit her resignation.
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari and BJP General Secretary Saroj Pandey have been appointed as the observers to oversee the election of new legislature party leader in the State.
- Anandiben Patel offered to resign on 1 August 2016, ahead of the state assembly elections expected in 2017, citing her age. The term of the current assembly ends in January 2018.
Awards & Honors –
National Tourism Awards for 2014-15 presented
- Sumitra Mahajan, Speaker, Lok Sabha, on 30 July 2016 presented the National Tourism Awards for the year 2014-15 to various segments of the travel, tourism and hospitality industry.
- The Best State/Union Territory for Comprehensive Development of Tourism was presented to Madhya Pradesh followed by Gujarat and Karnataka.
- On the other hand, American journalist Stephanie Pearson won the Best Foreign Journalist for India Award. She won the honour for her feature on Kerala ‘The Great Heaven.’
- Best Tourism Film - Department of Tourism, Union Territory Administration of Daman & Diu for their film ‘Ilha De Calma’
- Best Heritage City - Warangal, Telangana
‘Wall of Wishes’ inaugurated to celebrate Olympic mood
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel on 2 August 2016 inaugurated ‘Wall of Wishes’ at India Gate Lawns in New Delhi. The Wall of Wishes was launched in presence of Olympian Boxer M C Mary Kom to celebrate the Olympic mood in the country.
- Rio Olympics is scheduled to be held from 5 August to 21 August 2016.
- Besides, Goel also launched Digital Campaign for general public to wish Indian Olympic Contingent for the Rio Games. He also urged the people especially students and youth to visit India Gate in large numbers to sign their wishes at the Wall to cheer the Indian players.
Pushpa Kamal Dahal elected Nepal Prime Minister
- Maoist chief Prachanda was today elected by lawmakers as Nepal’s Prime Minister for a second time with his elevation expected to bring much-needed political stability in the country bogged down by deep divisions over the new Constitution.
- Though Pushpa Kamal Dahal — better known as Prachanda — was the only contender for the top post, he had to go through the voting as the Constitution requires the Prime Minister to prove support of the majority lawmakers in the House.
- The 61-year-old CPN-Maoist Centre chief was elected Prime Minister with 363 votes in favour and 210 against him. Out of a total 595 members, 22 did not vote.
- Ahead of the election, Prachanda addressed the House and said that he would try to lead the nation toward economic development while moving ahead with the spirit of national consensus during his premiership.
Sudhanshu Mani appointed as new GM for ICF
- Sudhanshu Mani has been appointed as General Manager, Integral Coach Factory. Prior to this, he was Chief Mechanical Engineer, Rail Wheel Factory, Yelahanka Bengaluru.
- Mani belongs to 1979 batch of Indian Railways Service of Mechanical Engineers (IRSME). He has over 36 years of experience in Indian Railways and worked in areas like workshop management, railway operations, project management, planning and R&D.
Ashok Kumar Gupta new GM of SWR
- Ashok Kumar Gupta (IRSME) has taken over the charge as General Manager, South Western Railway.
- Gupta a graduate in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (Product of Special Class Railway Apprentices-1979 batch) and Joined Indian Railways in 1981.
- During the course of his 37 year career, he has held several important executive and managerial positions in various Zonal Railways.
Angela Ruggiero appointed Head of IOC Athletes’ Commission
- American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero on 1 August 2016 was elected as the new chair of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)’s Athletes’ Commission.
- IOC President Thomas Bach officially appointed Ruggiero during joint meeting between the IOC athletes’ commission and the IOC executive board.
- Ruggiero will be replacing Claudia Bokel.
Indian-American Professor Emeritus Braj B Kachru passes away
- Renowned Indian-American linguist Braj B Kachru passed away on 29 July 2016 in Urbana, Illinois. He was 84.
- Kachru coined the term World English. He is also known for his published studies on Kashmiri.
- He authored the prize-winning The Alchemy of English: The Spread, Functions and Models of Non-Native Englishes.