Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs for 30th August, 2016. These are important for the upcoming IBPS PO VI Mains, Bank of Baroda and Bank of Maharashtra PO Exams.
Canara Bank launches UPI mobile app "empower"
- Public sector Canara Bank said on Tuesday it has launched an Unified Payment Interface (UPI) app named "empower".
- The mobile app works on NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) platform and enables bank customers pay and collect using this single app, the bank said.
- The mobile app is available for download from Google play store, the bank said in a release here, adding it was launched at the Board of Directors' conclave on Monday.
- According to the release, the app helps customers create a virtual payment address to pay and collect money from anyone without disclosing their account related information, link their bank accounts across banks in a single app, among other things.
- Non-Canara Bank customers can also use this application to link accounts held in other banks and use it for a host of financial and non-financial services, the release said.
ICICI Bank goes live on Play Store with its UPI app
- India's largest private sector lender ICICI Bank, announced the launch of 'Unified Payments Interface' (UPI) on two of its customer facing mobile banking applications - 'Pockets' and 'iMobile'. The app is available for download on the android Play Store.
- UPI enables bank account holders (of banks participating in UPI) to send and receive money using a Virtual Payment Address (VPA) without entering additional bank account details.
- UPI is available on 'iMobile', the bank's mobile banking application for its customers and on 'Pockets', its digital bank for peer-to-peer and e-commerce payments for even non-ICICI Bank customers. Anyone, including non-ICICI Bank customers can access UPI by creating their VPA on 'Pockets'.
India, US signed LEMOA
- India and the United States on 29 August 2016 signed Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA). The logistics agreement will enable the forces of the two nations to use each other’s bases for repair and replenishment of supplies.
- The agreement was signed in Pentagon during Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar’s visit to the US. The two leaders had agreed on the memorandum in principle when they last met in India in April 2016.
Highlights of the agreement
- It makes joint operations easier and more efficient.
- It does not allow each nation to set up bases on the other, but to use bases and equipment only for operating together when they choose to.
India, Myanmar signed four agreements to boost bilateral cooperation
- India and Myanmar on 28 August 2016 signed four Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enhance cooperation and bilateral relations between the two countries.
- The pacts were inked after delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Myanmar U Htin Kyaw in New Delhi. President Kyaw was on a four day visit to India from 27 August to 30 August 2016.
The four agreements signed include
- MoU on cooperation in the construction of 69 Bridges including AP Aproach Roads in the Tamu-Kyigone-Kalewa Road Section of the Trilateral Highway in Myanmar.
- MoU on cooperation in the construction / upgradation of the Kalewa – Yagyi Road Section.
- MoU on cooperation in the Field of Renewable Energy.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
PM Modi launches first phase of SAUNI project in Jamnagar, Gujarat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 30 August 2016 launched the first phase of SAUNI (Saurastra Narmada Avataran Irrigation) project at Sanodara of Jamnagar district of Gujarat. SAUNI is a project that aims to solve the water problems of a parched Saurashtra.
- Under the project, nearly 10 dams and reservoirs of Rajkot, Jamnagar and Morbi will be filled up with the water of Narmada River.
- The 12000 crore rupees project will fill up nearly 115 dams of Saurashtra region which faces shortage of water for irrigation and drinking purposes.
- Saruashtra, which comprises 11 districts, faces drought like situation often and has been reeling under severe water scarcity due to scanty rainfall in the last two years. This project is considered to be an ambitious one for PM Modi. It was announced in 2012 when Modi was the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation Yojana (SAUNI Yojana)
- Sauni Yojana has been launched to divert one MAFt excess over flowing flood water of Narmada allocated to Saurashtra Region. The excess over flowing flood water of Narmada will be distributed to 115 reservoirs of eleven districts of Saurashtra through total 1126 km long four link pipelines benefitting 1022589 acre land.
These links are
- Link 1 from Machhu-II dam of Morbi district to Sani Dam of Jamanagar District
- Link 2 from Limbdi Bhogavo-II Dam of Surendranagar District to Raidi Dam of Amreli District
- Link 3 from Dholidhaja Dam of Surendranagar District to Venu-I Dam of Rajkot District
- Link 4 from Limbdi Bhogavo-II Dam of Surendranagar District to Hiran-II Irrigation scheme of Junagadh
Madhukar Gupta Committee on border protection submits report to MHA
- The Madhukar Gupta Committee on border protection submitted its report to the Home Minister Rajnath Singh on 29 August 2016.
- The panel has made a detailed study on threat perception, field visits and made a detailed recommendations pertaining to strengthening of border protection on Indo-Pakistan Border. It studied security and threats at Border States of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Jammu.
- The Committee headed by former Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta was appointed on 5 April 2016 for strengthening border protection and addressing the issue of gaps and vulnerability in border fencing along Indo-Pakistan Border.
- It was constituted three months after terrorists belonging to Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed had breached the Indo-Pak border in Punjab and attacked the Pathankot airbase killing seven security personnel.
Anuradha Rao is MD, CEO of SBI Mutual Fund
- SBI Mutual Fund today said it has appointed Anuradha Rao as its Managing Director and Chief Executive.
- Prior to this, Rao was Deputy Managing Director at SBI handling New Business Portfolio. She has also worked as the Chief General Manager of personal banking at the bank.
- Some of the key assignments handled by her include developing the home loans and real estate businesses at SBI.
- She took charge from Dinesh Kumar Khara, who has been appointed Managing Director of State Bank of India (Associate & Subsidiaries).
Aishwaryaa Dhanush appointed U.N. Women’s advocate for Gender Equality
- Noted filmmaker and actor Rajinikanth’s daughter Aishwaryaa Dhanush was on Monday appointed United Nations Women’s Advocate for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in India.
- Ms. Aishwaryaa’s appointment was announced by Lakshmi Puri, U.N. Assistant Secretary General and U.N. Women Deputy Executive Director.
- Ms. Puri was quoted as saying that Ms. Aishwaryaa, also a dancer “inspires confidence in young women and girls across South India and beyond.”
- On her part, Ms. Aishwaryaa said it would be an ‘honour’ to serve as U.N. Advocate for Women’s Empowerment.
Microsoft appoints Bala Girisaballa CEO-in-residence of Microsoft Accelerator
- Microsoft on Tuesday announced that Bala Girisaballa will be leading Microsoft Accelerator in India as CEO-in-Residence.
- He took charge of the Accelerator's India operations, with effect from August 1, 2016. Microsoft also announced that Ravi Narayan, Director, will now assume the role of Global Director at Microsoft Accelerator.
- Girisaballa will lead the Accelerator's efforts to help market-ready startups and entrepreneurs to scale up and become successful businesses through the technology enablement, global go-to-market efforts and deep business advisory in the form of Hi-Po and Scale-Up programs. Prior to this, he was with Zinnov as partner & practice head helping MNC R&D companies.
National Sports Day celebrated on 29 August
- National Sports Day was observed across India on 29 August 2016. The day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand who was born on 29 August 1905.
- On this occasion, President Pranab Mukherjee conferred National Sports and adventure awards on sports person at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi.
Winners of 2016 National Sports Awards are
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna: The award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- It was conferred on four sports person and they are PV Sindhu (Badminton), Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics), Jitu Rai (Shooting) and Sakshi Malik (Wrestling).
- Dronacharya Awards: The award is conferred on coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events.
- It was conferred on six sports coaches and they are Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics), Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing), Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket), Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics), S Pradeep Kumar (Swimming (Lifetime)) and Mahabir Singh (Wrestling (Lifetime)).
- Arjuna Awards: The award is given for consistently outstanding performance for four years.
Wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt's 2012 London Olympics bronze upgraded to silver
- Indian wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt's bronze medal from the London Olympics has been upgraded to silver after second-place finisher late Besik Kudukhov of Russia was stripped off his medal for failing a dope test.
- According to Russian agency, flowrestling.Org, the four-time world champion and two-time Olympic medallist Kudukhov, who had died in a car crash in 2013 in southern Russia, was found to have used a banned substance in a test conducted by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
- As a result, Yogeshwar, who had bagged a bronze medal in men's 60kg freestyle category in the London Games, has now joined Sushil Kumar as the other silver medallist wrestler from the 2012 Olympics.
- Yogeshwar, who had bowed out in the first round of men's 65kg freestyle at the recently concluded Rio Olympic Games, had lost to Kudukhov in the pre-quarterfinals at London. But once the Russian advanced to the final, Yogeshwar got another chance in the repechage round and went on to win bronze.
Awards & Honors –
Padma Sachdev gets Saraswati Samman for year 2015
- Eminent author Padma Sachdev was awarded the prestigious Saraswati Samman for the year 2015 for her autobiography 'Chitt-Chete' written in Dogri language. She was felicitated by Delhi's Lt Governor Najeeb Jung in New Delhi on 29 August 2016.
- The 76-year-old poet and novelist's autobiography, published in 2007, was shortlisted from 22 works written in as many languages published between 2005 and 2014.
- Born in Jammu, Padma Sachdev is first modern woman poet of Dogri language.
- She has published her several poetry collection including Meri Kavita Mere Geet that has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1971.