Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs for 19th August, 2016. These are important for the upcoming RBI Grade B Phase I, Bank of Baroda and Bank of Maharashtra PO and IBPS PO VI Mains Exams.
MoU signed between Indian Oil Corporation and the Roads and Highways Department of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL) and the Roads and Highways Department of People's Republic of Bangladesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding in Dhaka.
- The MoU enables IOCL to send its trucks carrying Motor Spirit, High Speed Diesel, Superior Kerosene Oil & Liquefied Petroleum Gas from Meghalaya to Tripura via territory of Bangladesh.
- The validity of this facility is till end September, 2016. Both sides have also agreed to extend the transit facility for a further short period on need basis.
- The work on the broad gauging of the railway track in the North-Eastern region has shifted the goods vehicle traffic on to the roads.
- Further, due to heavy rains in the region this Monsoon, the roads, including NH 44, have been affected resulting in non-plying of goods trucks, including those carrying petroleum goods to Tripura. This resulted into a situation of scarcity of essential petroleum goods.
BSNL and Microsoft India sign MoU
- The Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited and Microsoft India on Thursday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to offer telecom & IT solutions for big businesses.
- The MoU will help meet the demand foe IT and cloud services, as well as audio and video needs of the BSNL's enterprise customers including government organizations, BSNL said in a statement.
- BSNL has large share in landline network including leased line connectivity to various enterprises.
India Post Payments Bank incorporated
- The India Post Payments Bank Limited (IPPB) on 17 August 2016 was incorporated. In this regard, it has received the Certificate of Incorporation (CI) from the Registrar of Companies, Ministry of Corporate Affairs under the Companies Act, 2013.
- With this incorporation, the bank has become the first Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Department of Posts (DoP).
- The incorporation also paves the way for the constitution of the Board of the India Post Payments Bank Limited.
Features of India Post Payments Bank Limited
- It will allow all citizens of India, especially the 40 percent of the country's population that is outside the ambit of formal banking in the country will benefit from this project.
- Its services will be available across the country through 650 payments bank branches, linked post offices and alternative channels riding on modern technology including mobiles, ATMs, PoS/m-PoS (mobile-Point of Sale) devices etc and simple digital payments.
Union Government launched TARANG, e-Trans & DEEP to enhance transparency in power sector
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines Piyush Goyal on 17 August 2016 launched TARANG Mobile App, e-Trans and DEEP e-bidding web portals in New Delhi.
- They were developed by Rural Electrification Corporation Transmission Projects Company Limited (RECTPCL), a subsidiary of REC Ltd.
- The initiatives were launched keeping in line with the Digital India initiative. The primarily seek to enhance transparency in power sector.
Features of TARANG
- It stands for Transmission App for Real Time Monitoring and Growth.
- The mobile application as well as the web portal will act as powerful monitoring tool to track upcoming transmission projects.
- It will also be utilized to monitor the progress of inter-state and intra-state transmission systems in the country.
Features of e-Trans
- It is a web platform for e-bidding and e-reverse auction for Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB) in transmission projects.
- Till date, transmission sector providers have been participating in transmission bids through manual mode.
Features of DEEP
- DEEP stands for Discovery of Efficient Electricity Price.
- It is an e-Bidding portal for medium term (1-5 years) purchase of power.
- It will provide a common e-bidding platform with e-reverse auction facility to facilitate nation-wide power procurement through a wider network.
Cipla, Godrej recognised in Fortune Change the World list
- India's pharmaceutical giant Cipla and consumer goods conglomerate Godrej have been recognised by Fortune magazine in a list of global firms changing the world for the good and having a positive social impact through their activities.
- Cipla is ranked 46th in the list of 50 followed by Godrej on the 48th spot, the only Indian companies in the list.
- The Fortune 2016 'Change the World' list recognises companies that have had a positive social impact through activities that are part of their core business strategy.
- The list has been topped by British pharma giant GlaxoSmithKline and includes Swiss food products major Nestle (5), India-born Ajay Banga-led Mastercard (7), US retail giant Walmart (15), China's ride-sharing company Didi Chuxing (30), India-born Indra Nooyi-led PepsiCo (38), Dutch beverages giant Heineken (43) and American motor company Tesla (50).
World’s biggest aircraft Airlander 10 makes maiden voyage in Britain
- The world's largest airship, Airlander 10, flew for the first time on 17 August 2016 over London's Cardington airfield.
- This flight of the 92-metre ship, nicknamed the Flying Bum for its shape, lasted for about 30 minutes. The aircraft completed a series of flight manoeuvres and landed safely.
- The Hybrid Air Vehicles HAV 304 Airlander 10 is a hybrid airship made by Hybrid Air Vehicles (HAV) in the United Kingdom.
- It was originally built for the US Army's Long Endurance Multi-intelligence Vehicle (LEMV) project.