Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs for 17th August, 2016. These are important for the upcoming RBI Grade B Phase I and BMSB & Bank of Maharashtra PGDBF PO Exams 2016.
These cities are –
India’s first bio-CNG plant inaugurated in Pune
- India’s first bio-CNG plant was on 13 August 2016 inaugurated in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The plant was jointly inaugurated by Union Minister of Transport Nitin Gadkari and Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Key features of the plant
- It was commissioned by the city-based Primove Engineering Private Limited.
- It will use agricultural residue to generate compressed natural gas (CNG) that can be used in automobiles as fuel.
- The technology involves treating the waste with a special bacterial solution, after which the gas so generated is cleaned and compressed for use in vehicles.
- It was set up as a Proof of Concept (PoC) which can be replicated elsewhere.
- It was built at a cost of 4.5 crore rupees. Further it needs investment to the tune of 15 crore rupees to complete the 5-tonne standalone plant.
Unilever Plc acquires Swedish firm Blueair
- Unilever, the parent company of Hindustan Unilever (HUL), on 16 August 2016 acquired Swedish firm Blueair for an undisclosed sum. Blueair is a leading player in mobile air purification technology.
- With this deal, Unilever will make its foray in air purification, a move that will complement its existing water purification business.
- However, Blueair will continue to operate under its existing brand name in all its markets in Sweden, China, the U.S., Japan, South Korea and India. This acquisition will help widen the reach of Blueair purifiers.
Lists & Indexes –
India on 66th spot in most innovative economies, up 15 places
- India has been ranked 66th in a list of most innovative economies, jumping 15 places from last year, according to a new UN report which calls for more transparent policies if the country aspires to become a global driver of innovation.
- In the report by the UN World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), India moved up 15 spots from 81st last year to 66th this year in the overall global rankings.
- The Global Innovation Index 2016, released by the WIPO, Cornell University, and the multi-nation business graduate school INSEAD, said India ranks among the top 50 economies overall in two pillars: Market sophistication, 33, and Knowledge and technology out-puts, 43.
- The country maintains stable or improved rankings across all pillars, with the most significant improvements in Human capital and research, up 40 spots and Business sophistication, up 59 spots.
- Within Human capital and research, India data coverage increased, specifically in graduates in sciences and engineering, ranked eighth overall this year while this was a missing value last year, affecting the jump in its ranking.
Union Government launched Smart Ganga City Scheme in 10 cities
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti and Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on 13 August 2016 launched Smart Ganga City Scheme.
- The scheme was launched in 10 ten important cities through video conference.
These cities are –
- These cities were chosen as part of the Phase-I of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) for infrastructure development for sewage treatment.
- The projects in these selected cities will be executed on hybrid annuity mode based on Public Private Partnership (PPP) model.
Shashi Shekhar Committee on World Culture Festival of AOL submitted report to NGT
- The Shashi Shekhar Committee was in news in the third week of August 2016 as the NGT directed Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living (AOL) to submit its response within three weeks on the inspection report.
- The report of the expert committee dealt with the damage caused to the Yamuna flood plains due to the World Culture Festival.
- The festival was organised by the AOL in March 2016 along the River Yamuna in New Delhi.
- The inspection report of the committee concluded that the event has caused damage to the riverbed.
Awards & Honors –
A R Rahman honoured with Tamil Ratna Award
- Noted music composer A.R. Rahman on 15 August 2016 was honoured with the Tamil Ratna Award.
- The award was presented by New York based Tamil Sangam.
- Rahman was bestowed with the honour after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber.
- Rahman was invited at the UNGA to perform a concert to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music. The concert was sponsored by India's UN Mission and Sankara Nethralaya, a Chennai-based charity organisation.
- The previous recipients of Tamil Ratna Award include Tamil movie director Bharathi Raja, Bharatha Natyam exponent Kamala Lakshman and Srinivasa Varadhan, the winner of the Abel Prize for mathematics.
CLRI scientist P Shanmugam awarded with APJ Abdul Kalam award
- Central Leather Research Institute's (CLRI) Principal Scientist P Shanmugam on 15 August 2016 bagged the APJ Abdul Kalam Award for his meritorious services in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu.
- The award consists of a certificate, 5 lakh rupees cheque and a 8 gram gold medal.
Other Awards and Awardees
- The state government also bestowed the Kalpana Chawla Award for Courage and Daring Enterprise to Jayanthi from Namakkal District.
- On the other hand, Chief Minister's Best Practices Award was presented to Thanjavur District Collector N Subbaiyan and Superintendent of Police Mayilvahanan.
- Tamil Nadu Rural Development Minister S P Velumani and Principal Secretary of Rural Development Hansraj Verma received the award for solid waste management in rural areas.
Najma Heptullah appointed as Governor of Manipur
- Former Union Minister Najma Heptullah was on 17 August 2016 appointed as the Governor of Manipur. With this, Heptullah will be the 18th Governor of the state.
- Before her appointment, V Shamuganathan, the Governor of Meghalaya, was looking after the state of Manipur since September 2015.
- Heptullah had resigned from the Union Ministry on 12 July 12 2016 as she completed 75 years of age.
- Banwarilal Purohit was appointed as the Governor of Assam.
- VP Singh Badnore was made the Governor of Punjab.
- Prof Jagdish Mukhi was named Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands in place of Lt Gen (Retd) AK Singh.
Former FIFA President Joao Havelange passes away
- Joao Havelange, former President of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), passed away on 16 August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He was 100.
- Havelange’s tenure as President was the second longest in FIFA's history, behind only that of Jules Rimet.
Prominent Malayalam script writer TA Rasaq passes away
- Prominent Malayalam script writer TA Rasaq passed away on 15 August 2016 in Kochi following a brief illness. He was 58.
- He had worked for more than thirty films in Malayalam beginning from 1991.
Renowned Punjabi writer Gurdial Singh passes away
- Prominent Punjabi writer and Jnanpith awardee Gurdial Singh passed away on 16 August 2016 in Bathinda, Punjab. He was 83.
- Singh was known as a Spartan who has taken it all in his stride in the literary world.
- After Amrita Pritam, he is the second Punjabi writer to receive the Jnanpith Award.
- He has written ten novels, including Anhoe, Addh Chanani Raat, Anhe Ghore Da Daan, Parsa among others.