Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs for 10th August, 2016. These are important for the upcoming RBI Grade B Phase I and BMSB & Bank of Maharashtra PGDBF PO Exams 2016.
Syndicate Bank launches Project Ananya aimed at digital banking
- Syndicate Bank has embarked on a large scale transformation program called "Project Ananya" that focuses on improved customer service and offering latest in digital banking services.
- The bank plans to transform 10 per cent of its branches to the new format in the next 6-12 months, it said in a statement. The first Ananya branch was opened by MD and CEO Arun Srivastava.
- A completely operational account is available in less than 1 day with no additional visits to the branch and making this one of the fastest account opening processes in the industry. Project Ananya over the next 2 years will upgrade the products, services and digital channels of the Bank to cater to the fast changing customer needs including those of the younger generation, who are more tech-savvy and prefer to do banking online, the bank said.
- The project is also focused on improving business through enhanced sales and service focus as well as improving the HR policies and practices of the Bank, it said.
Intel acquires artificial intelligence Indian-origin entrepreneur run start-up Nervana
- Announcing a big foray into the world of artificial intelligence (AI), the chip giant Intel has acquired San Diego, California-based deep learning start-up Nervana Systems run by an Indian-origin entrepreneur.
- Coming ahead of the Intel Developer Forum next week, the acquisition gives Intel a definitive head start towards advanced data analytics, computer vision, natural language processing and machine learning.
- Although the financial details were not disclosed, according to a Re/Code report, the software giant is paying more than $400 million to buy Nervana led by former Qualcomm researcher Naveen Rao.
Odisha Crime Branch rescues 1051 children in first phase of Operation Muskan-2
- Operation Muskan-2, an initiative to trace missing and destitute children and reunite them with parents, was in news in first week of August 2016. It came into news after Odisha Crime Branch in its first phase of Operation traced and rescued about 1051 children.
- The Operation Muskan which was started on 25 July 2016 jointly by the Crime Branch in association with Women and Child Development Department has rescued these children from various places across the state.
- The southern Odisha district Ganjam topped the list with the rescue of 93 children followed by Jajpur (87), Dhenkanal (79), Kendrapara (69) and Nayagarh (65).
- Special DG Crime branch B K Sharma said the next phase of operation will resume outside Odisha from 9 August 2016. Under the second phase, the police teams will go to 10 states, including Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, New Delhi, Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu, Bihar and trace out the missing children of Odisha. The second phase operation will end on August 24.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches 70 Saal Azaadi Yaad Karo Kurbani celebrations
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 9 August 2016 launched 70 Saal Azaadi, Yaad Karo Kurbani celebrations in Alirajpur, Madhya Pradesh. Alirajpur is the birthplace of freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad.
- The Yaad Karo Kurbani is a 15-day programme. It is aimed at celebrating 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement and 70 years of Independence.
Key highlights of the campaign
- The 70 Saal Azaadi, Yaad karo Qurbani campaign is aimed at developing a feeling in every person that nation is first and individual is secondary.
- It seeks to provide an opportunity for the people to recall the supreme sacrifices made by freedom fighters during freedom struggle.
- The goal of the campaign is to inform the youngsters about the unsung heroes and the history of the freedom struggle.
Dinesh Kumar Khara appointed Managing Director of State Bank of India
- Dinesh Kumar Khara on 9 August 2016 was appointed Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI).
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Khara for a period of three years, extendable by two years after review of his performance.
- At present, Khara is working as MD and Chief Executive Officer of SBI Funds Management Pvt Ltd.
- On the other hand, Ashok Kumar Garg and Raj Kamal Verma have been appointed as Executive Director (ED) of Bank of Baroda and Union Bank of India respectively. Gopal Murli Bhagat and Himanshu Joshi have been appointed as ED of Corporation Bank and Oriental Bank of Commerce respectively.
Himanshu Joshi appointed ED on board of OBC
- The Centre has appointed Himanshu Joshi as Executive Director on the board of Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC).
- His appointment is from the date of his taking charge of the post and up to October 31, 2018, i.e. the date of his attaining the age of superannuation or until further orders, whichever is earlier, OBC said in a notice to the BSE.
- Before his elevation as ED of OBC, Joshi was a General Manager with Punjab National Bank.
Rajeev Krishnan appointed as Managing Director of Max Hypermarkets India
- Rajeev Krishnan was on 9 August 2016 appointed as the Managing Director of Max Hypermarkets in India with effect from 1 August 2016. Krishnan succeeds Viney Singh, outgoing Managing Director.
- However, Singh will continue to be on the Board of the company as a Non-Executive Director.
- As managing director, Krishnan will guide and direct the strategy and execution of the Hypermarket & Supermarket business of the SPAR brand in India, and will report to the board of Max Hypermarket, a franchisee of SPAR India.
K M Hanumantharayappa assumes charge as Chairman of Central Silk Board
- K M Hanumantharayappa on 9 August 2016 assumed charge as the Chairman of Central Silk Board, Union Ministry of Textiles for a period of three years. He is the 25th Chairman of the Central Silk Board.
- He succeeds N S Bissegowda.
Judoka Silva wins first gold for host country Brazil: Rio Olympics
- Judoka Rafaela Silva on 9 August 2016 won the women’s 57kh judo gold at Rio Olympics. With this, she also won the first gold for the host country Brazil at the Olympic Games Rio 2016.
- Silva’s win was extra special as she grew up in host city Rio de Janeiro and blossomed to become an Olympic champion despite the tough conditions of her native City of God favela.
- Japan's Shohei Ono restored the pride of Judo's birth country by winning first Gold in 73kg category. Ono ended an anxious wait for a Japanese men's team that had not claimed Olympic gold since 2008 in Beijing.
- Ono's victory also ended Japan's sequence of five judo bronze medals in Rio. Japan won just one gold medal in judo at the London Games.
Yesteryear Tamil actress Jyothilakshmi passes away
- Yesteryear Tamil actress Jyothilakshmi passed away on 9 August 2016 in Chennai following a brief illness. She was 63.
- She earned fame by doing dance numbers and negative roles in Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malyalam and Hindi movies.
Veteran writer-producer Panchu Arunachalam passes away
- Veteran film producer, script and screenplay writer Panchu Arunachalam passed away on 9 August 2016 following brief illness. He was 75. He is survived by his wife, two daughters and two sons.
- He introduced Ilayaraja as music director in his film Annakili and made more films starring Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth.