Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here is a set of English Quiz for SBI PO Mains Exam 2016.
Directions (Q. 1-10): Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it
We view violence against women as gender-based violence. This recognises that one of the fundamental causes of violence against women is the unequal power relations between men and women, which lead to discrimination. Gender based violence against women is violence directed against a woman because she is a woman or violence that affects women disproportionately. The history of violence against women remains vague. This is in part due to the fact that many kinds of violence against women (specifically sexual assault, and domestic violence) often go unreported or under-reported, often due to societal norms, taboos, stigma, and the sensitive nature of the subject. It is widely recognized that even today, a lack of reliable and continuous data is an obstacle in having a clear picture of violence against women, so a historical picture of violence against women becomes even more difficult to capture. Although the history of violence against women is difficult to track, some claim that violence against women has been accepted, and even condoned and legally sanctioned throughout history. The violence against women can occur in both public and private spheres of life and at any time of their life span. Many women are terrified by these threats of violence and this essentially has an impact on their lives that they are impeded to exercise their human rights, for instance, the fear for contribution to the development of their communities socially, economically and politically. To create inclusive cities that respect the rights of everyone, we need to create conditions and physical environments where women, men, girls and boys can live, work, go to school, move around, and socialise without fear of harm. We also need to change attitudes and policies that perpetuate violence against women. This is essential for economic and social development and for meeting the commitments. Many women and girls face domestic violence not only in their homes and in design and poor management of those spaces. In practical terms this can relate to factors such as inadequate street lighting, unsafe underpasses, ineffective community policing and lack of rehabilitation programmes for those involved in antisocial use of public spaces. During times of conflict or social unrest, those factors can further exacerbate the risk of gender-based violence. We also need full and meaningful participation of women and girls to make cities safer for them. Governments at all levels have a vital role and responsibility in engaging women and girls and men and boys as equals in decision-making, policy and strategy development addressing violence against women and girls. Ending violence against women requires collective action and we need to recognise that safer cities for women and girls are better cities for everyone.
1. Why several types of violence against women unrecorded or unpublicized in the context of the passage ?
1) Honour killing may take place.
2) There is a gender based discrimination.
3) No one will marry that woman.
4) Societal norms, taboos and Poor mentality of the society is a great cause.
5) None of these
2. What are the solutions suggested in the passage in the favour of women safety ?
1) Government need to create safer city.
2) By increasing participation of women.
3) With the help of collective action.
4) All of the above.
5) None of these
3. What do you understand by Poor management of spaces in the context of the passage ?
1) Lack of infrastructural facility and ineffective community policing
2) Where antisocial elements reside
3) Where antisocial use of public spaces take place
4) Both 1 and 3
5) All of the above
4. Which will best describe 'Gender Based Violence' ?
1) Which is directed against a woman because she is part of the society.
2) Which affects women unduly.
3) Where discrimination is based on castism.
4) All of the above
5. Find the false statement (s) on the basis of the given passage.
1) Social unrest or riots is a factor that can increase the risk of gender based violence.
2) Both men and women should given equal chance in the society.
3) Unequal distribution of power between men and women is a cause of gender based violence.
4) Either 1 and 3
5) None of these
Direction (Q. 6 -7) : Choose the word which is most OPPOSITE in meaning of the word printed in bold as used in the passage.
1) Eternize 2) Bolster 3) Discontinue 4) Sustain 5) Obscure
1) Liberate 2) Curb 3) Interfere 4) tenebrous 5) Enigmatic
Direction (Q. 8 -10) : Choose the word which is most nearly the SAME in meaning as the word printed in bold as used in the passage.
1) Regard 2) Prevent 3) Over look 4) Censure 5) Pass
1) Placate 2) Delight 3) Pacify 4) Enrage 5) Unclog
1) Secure 2) Apparent 3) Determined 4) Sharp 5) ill - defined