Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs from 9th to 11th July, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains and UBI PGDBF Exams 2016.
HDFC first Indian company to issue Masala bonds
- Housing Development Finance Corp Ltd (HDFC) on Monday said it will issue rupee denominated bonds worth Rs 2,000 crore, with a greenshoe option of Rs 1,000 crore to foreign investors outside the United States.
- The firm will be the first Indian entity to issue such a bond after the central bank clarified in April that the overall limit of the bonds will be within the $51 billion that foreigners are allowed to invest in corporate bonds. The total corporate bond limit, in rupee terms, were fixed at Rs 2,44,323 crore.
- So far International Finance Corporation has issued rupee denominated bonds, commonly known as ‘masala’ bonds in the international market.
India, Kenya sign 7 pacts; to deepen cooperation in security
- Seeking to bolster their ties, India and Kenya today decided to deepen and expand cooperation in a wide range of areas as they signed seven pacts, including in the field of defence and security and avoidance of double taxation.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, after his talks with Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta here, also announced extension of concessional Line of Credit (LoC) of USD 44.95 million to the African nation to help it in development of small and medium enterprises and textiles.
- India will also build a cancer hospital in Kenya to provide quality and affordable healthcare. “The multifaceted development partnership is a key pillar of our bilateral relationship,” Modi said at a joint media interaction with Kenyatta after the talks.
- The MoU on Defence Cooperation signed will entail staff exchanges, expertise sharing, training, cooperation in hydrography and equipment supply.
- Announcing that India has will fully finance a cancer hospital in Kenya, he said it will not only benefit the Kenyan society with quality and affordable healthcare but also help India become a regional medical hub.
- Kenyatta expressed gratitude to India for the LoC — USD 29.95 million for upgrading of a textile factory and USD 15 million for SMEs — and building the cancer hospital.
- He said he would personally follow up on the implementation of the decisions taken, which he said would go a long way in deepening the bilateral partnership and boosting prosperity.
- Besides MoUs in defence and security, revised pact on avoidance of double taxation and two LOCs, the other agreements were in the fields of visa, housing and measuring standards.
Country's first smart grid to come up in Gurgaon with Centre's grant
- The Union government has set in motion the process of rewarding performing states under Uday, the flagship programme in power sector. It would extend support to the country’s first smart grid project to be set up at Gurgaon in Haryana, which has been a performing state under the debt restructuring programme for state-owned power distribution companies.
- Besides, the NDA government also expects interest rates to come down in near future which will help the states in further saving loan costs, Union power minister Piyush Goyal said here today.
- For the first phase of smart grid project, the Union government would extend a grant of Rs 273 crore to the state. The assistance to Haryana would be given from the Power System Development Fund (PSDF) for Rs 7,000-crore project, the first phase of which would cost Rs 1,382 crore.
- The project would be spearheaded by Power Grid Corporation along with the state government, industry and real estate developers. Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal had a meeting with Goyal earlier in the day for a review of power sector in the state.
Myntra acquires Cubeit for undisclosed amount
- Fashion e-tailer Myntra today said it has acquired Bengaluru-based Cubeit for an undisclosed sum to focus on content aggregation on mobile.
- As part of the acquisition, the team at Cubeit has been inducted into Myntra, making it an 'acqui-hire' that will further strengthen and expand the technology team, Myntra said in a statement.
- No financial details of the deal were disclosed.
- Cubeit, led by co-founders Sarthak Jain, Nithinkumar Gadiparthi and Prathamesh Juvatkar, was founded in 2014.
Bihar signs MoU with Bangkok firm for disaster risk reduction
- As part of programmes to implement the Roadmap for Disaster Risk Reduction in Bihar (2015-30), the state government on Monday signed an MoU with Bangkok-based Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre (ADPC).
- Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said this MoU will help reduce disaster risk management in the state.
- Bihar often faces disasters like flood, drought and earthquake.
India, Tanzania signed five agreements
- India and Tanzania on 10 July 2016 inked five agreements to enhance the bilateral cooperation between the two nations.
- These agreements were signed during Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Tanzania from 9 July to 10 July 2016.
List of MOUs/Agreements
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of water resource management and development between the two countries.
- MoU on Visa waiver agreement for Diplomatic/Official passport holders between the two countries.
- Agreement on Joint Action Plan (JAP) between National Small Industries Corporation of India (NSIC) and Small Industries Development Organization Tanzania (SIDO).
- MoU for Establishment of Vocational Training Centre at Zanzibar.
- LOC of 92 million US dollar for rehabilitation and improvement of water supply system in Zanzibar.
Andhra Pradesh decided to conduct 'Smart Pulse Survey' of 1.48 crore households
- Andhra Pradesh government has decided to conduct a 'Smart Pulse Survey' for collecting socio-economic data of 1.48 crore households in the state. The survey started on 8 July 2016 will end on 30 July 2016.
- In the first phase of the survey enumerators will be collecting details of Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu at his riverfront residence at Vundavalli near to Vijayawada.
- The State Cabinet on 1 June 2016 decided to conduct the survey to determine the socio-economic status and collect all other relevant details of each household in the state.
Rashtrapati Bhavan hosts Amitav Ghosh as Writer in-Residence
- As part of the Rashtrapati Bhavan’s ‘In-Residence’ programme, which is aimed at providing writers and artists an opportunity to stay in the Raisina Hill, eminent author Amitav Ghosh would stay in the President’s House from Sunday till Thursday.
- The ‘In-Residence’ programme was launched by the President of India on December 11, 2013 to give writers and artists a chance to be a part of the life of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Mr. Ghosh is an award-winning author and essayist whose books include The Circle of Reason, The Shadow Lines, In An Antique Land, Dancing in Cambodia, The Calcutta Chromosome, The Glass Palace, The Hungry Tide and The Ibis Trilogy: Sea of Poppies, River of Smoke and Flood of Fire.
- The programme seeks to provide an environment that would inspire creative thinking and rejuvenate artistic impulses. It is intended to honour and recognise eminent and established artists and writers as well as young upcoming talents from different parts of the country.
Awards & Honors –
Radhika Menon becomes first woman to bag IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea
- Captain Radhika Menon on 7 July 2016 was selected for the 2016 International Maritime Organization (IMO) Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea.
- Menon has been selected for the prestigious award for her role in the rescue of seven fishermen from a sinking fishing boat in the Bay of Bengal in June 2015.
- Captain Menon will also be the first female to receive the IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea.
- The award will be presented to Menon on 21 November 2016 at IMO Headquarters in London, United Kingdom.
Sushila Karki confirmed as Nepal's first woman Chief Justice
- Nepal’s Parliamentary Hearing Special Committee (PHSC) on 10 July 2016 unanimously endorsed Sushila Karki as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
- With this, Karki has become the first woman to lead Nepal’s judiciary. She will be appointed to the post by President Bidhya Devi Bhandari.
D Rajkumar appointed CMD of BPCL; Utpal Bora to head Oil India
- Technocrats D Rajkumar and Utpal Bora were today appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) and Oil India Ltd, respectively.
- Rajkumar is, at present, working as Managing Director of Bharat Petro Resources Ltd, a unit of BPCL focused on exploration and production. Bora is Executive Director in Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Limited.
- They have been appointed to the posts for five-year term, an order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) said.
Tathagata Roy sworn-in as Governor of Arunachal Pradesh
- Tathagata Roy, the governor of Tripura, was sworn-in as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh in the Darbar Hall of Raj Bhavan in Itanagar on 10 June 2016.
- His oath of office and secrecy was administered by the Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court Ajit Singh. He is the 18th Governor to be sworn in as Governor of this Himalayan State.
- With this, Roy will discharge the function of the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh during the absence on leave of Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa.
Kevin Turner resigns as Chief Operating Officer of Microsoft
- Kevin Turner on 7 July 2016 resigned as the Chief Operating Officer ( COO) of Microsoft with effect from 31 July 2016. Being the COO, Turner was handling Microsoft's enormous sales operations. He had been at Microsoft for 11 years.
- Turner would now be joining Citadel Securities as Chief Executive Officer.
Portugal wins Euro 2016 football championship; defeated France 1-0
- Portugal on 10 July 2016 lifted the Euro 2016 football championship. In the final clash played at Saint-Denis in Paris, Portugal defeated France 1-0.
- Substitute Eder scored in extra-time to give Portugal a win at their first major international title despite losing captain and talisman Cristiano Ronaldo to injury.
- Eder scored the goal with 11 minutes of extra time left to stun France after the host team had dominated the match.
- Man of the Match: Pepe (Portugal)
- Young Player of the Tournament: Renato Sanches
2016 Wimbledon concluded
- Wimbledon, the third Grand Slam of the 2016 tennis season concluded on 10 June 2016.
- It was held for two weeks beginning on 27 June 2016 at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London.
Andy Murray (Great Britain)
Milos Raonic (Canada)
Serena Williams (United States)
Angelique Kerber (Germany)
Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut (France)
Julien Benneteauand Édouard Roger-Vasselin (France)
Serena Williams and Venus Williams
Timea Babos (Hungary) and Yaroslava Shvedova (Russia)
Heather Watson (Britain) and Henri Kontinen (Finland)
Anna-Lena Groenefeld (Germany) and Roberto Farah (Colombia)
Key highlight of 2016 Wimbledon
- Serena equalled Steffi Graf's open era record of 22 Grand Slam titles
- For William sisters, Serna and Venus, it was the sixth title at Wimbledon, and 14 in Grand Slams.
NATO Summit 2016 concluded in Warsaw
- The 2-day long NATO Summit concluded on 9 July 2016 in Warsaw, Poland. It was the 27th summit biannual summit of NATO since its inception in 1949.
- The summit was attended by Heads of State and Heads of Government of NATO members including the USA President Barack Obama, Polish president Andrzej Duda and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
- Besides, the summit also saw the presence of Heads of Government of non-member States and organizations of NATO including Afghanistan.
Legendary football coach Amal Dutta passes away
- Amal Dutta, former India player and first professional full-time football coach of the country, died on 10 July 2016 following old age complications. He was 86.
- As a coach, Dutta had introduced new formations including the diamond system the 1990s.
Eminent Pakistani philanthropist Abdul Sattar Edhi died
- Eminent Pakistani philanthropist, social activist, ascetic and humanitarian Abdul Sattar Edhi on 8 July 2016 died at a hospital in Karachi. He was 88.
- He was the founder and head of the Edhi Foundation in Pakistan and ran the organization successfully for over 6 decades.
- He was known as Angel of Mercy, Pakistan’s ‘Father Teresa’ and was considered country’s most respected figure.
- Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif paid tribute to him as “a great servant of humanity,” and announced posthumous presidential medal to commemorate his services.