- Union Government on 28 July 2016 announced the formation of District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee (DDCMC) that will be known as ‘Disha’. First meeting of Disha will be held on 13 August 2016.
- Disha was created for effective development and coordination of Central Government's programme, whether it is for infrastructure development or Social and human resource development.
- It will monitor the implementation of 28 schemes and programmes of Ministry of Rural Development and other Ministries to promote synergy and convergence for greater impact.
- The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) in the last week of July 2016 announced that India Meteorological Department (IMD) will use supercomputer to forecast India’s annual summer monsoon.
- The forecast made by a supercomputer will be based on a dynamical monsoon model. It will be operational from 2017.
- The Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, has been using this model on an experimental basis for around 10 years to assist IMD’s annual monsoon forecasts.
- Madras Crocodile Bank Trust and Centre for Herpetology came in news in fourth week of July 2016. It came in news because it is celebrating its 40 years of opening its gate for the public.
- It is a non government environmental organization and was founded in 1976 by Romulus Whitaker.
- The Croc Bank currently consists of a large reptile park near Chennai, Southern India and several field projects located throughout the subcontinent reaching as far afield as the Nicobar Islands.
- T Nanda Kumar resigned from the post of Chairman of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB). Kumar had submitted his resignation on 29 June 2016.
- Kumar’s resignation was accepted by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet on 27 July 2016.
- Kumar, who had a five-year term ending in 2019, will be relieved on 1 August 2016.
- International Tiger Day was observed on 29 July 2016. The day is held annually on 29th July to give worldwide attention to the reservation of tigers.
- The goal of the day is to promote a global system for protecting the natural habitats of tigers and to raise public awareness and support for tiger conservation issues.
- It was founded in 2010 at the St. Petersburg Tiger Summit, with the aim to double the big cat population by 2022.
- American author James Alan McPherson passed away on 27 July 2016 in Iowa City, U.S. He was 72.
- McPherson was the first black author to receive the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1978.
- In 1978, he won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction for his short story collection Elbow Room, becoming the first African-American to win the Pulitzer for fiction.
- Tabla maestro Pandit Lacchu Maharaj passed away on 28 July 2016 in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. He was 72.
- Lacchu Maharaj has been described as one of the frontline tabla players in the world.