Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the Important Current Affairs for 22nd July, 2016. These are important for the upcoming RBI Grade B and UBI PO PGDBF Exams 2016.
Narendra Modi and Sheikh Hasina inaugurate Petrapole Integrated Check Post
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina on 21 July 2016 jointly inaugurated the Petrapole Integrated Check Post (ICP).
- PM Modi and PM Hasina inaugurated the check post through video-conferencing.
- The Petrapole checkpost will help in promoting bilateral trade and will also boost economic growth of both countries.
- Petrapole-Benapole is an important land border crossing for India-Bangladesh trade as more than 50% of the India-Bangladesh trade passes through Petrapole.
Key highlights of the Petrapole Integrated Check Post
- Petrapole is the Indian side of Petrapole-Benapole border checkpoint between India and Benapole of Bangladesh.
- It is located near Bongaon in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal.
- Petrapole border is the only land port in south Bengal.
NDMC signs MoU with NEERI to develop sewage treatment plants
- The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) on 21 July 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) to develop 12 sewage treatment plants (STP).
- This project will help increase the green cover in NDMC areas and curb dust pollution.
Highlights of the MoU
- In the first phase, 12 STPs will be installed across the NDMC area.
- Each plant will have a capacity of treating sewage water ranging from 50000-1 lakh litres.
- All these plants will be connected to all parks which will help the horticulture department to maintain the parks.
- These plants will be installed at schools also.
Meenakshi Lekhi appointed chairperson of Lok Sabha privileges committee
- BJP leader and New Delhi MP Meenakshi Lekhi has been appointed as the chairperson of the Committee of Privileges of the Lok Sabha.
- She replaces SS Ahluwalia, who resigned on July 18 on his appointment as a minister.
Lists & Reports –
Sustainable Development Goal Index released; India ranked 110th
- Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) of the United Nations and the Bertelsmann Stiftung on 20 July 2016 launched a new Sustainable Development Goal Index (SDG Index) to provide a report card for tracking SDG progress and ensuring accountability.
- SDG Index is the world’s first comparative study of the Sustainable Development Goals for 149 countries
- The SDG Index assess where each country stands in 2016 with regard to achieving the SDGs. The SDG Index ranks countries based on their performance across 17 goals.
- The index has been topped by Sweden and India is ranked 110th in the index and is followed by Lesotho on 113th position, Pakistan (115), Myanmar (117), Bangladesh (118) and Afghanistan (139).
Key Highlights of SDG Index
- The countries which are closest to fulfilling the goals are not the biggest economies but comparably small, developed countries.
- Sweden, Denmark and Norway are the top three performing countries.
- Germany and the United Kingdom are the only G7 countries to be found among the top ten performers
2016 Fortune Global 500 list released: India's India Oil Corporation ranked at 161st Place
- The 2016 Fortune Global 500 list of the world's biggest firms was released on 21 July 2016. Seven Indian companies were featured in the list with Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) ranked highest at 161st rank with revenues of 54.7 billion US dollars.
- The overall list was topped by retail giant Walmart with revenue of 482.130 million US dollars.
Highlights of the 2016 Fortune Global 500 list
- The world's 500 largest companies generated 27.6 trillion US dollars in revenues and 1.5 trillion US dollars in profits in 2015.
- This year's Fortune 500 companies employ 67 million people worldwide and are represented by 33 countries.
- The overall list was topped by Walmart with revenue of 482.130 million US dollars, followed by State Grid at Second place and China National Petroleum at the third place.
India in 2016 Fortune Global 500 list
- Seven Indian companies figure in the Fortune 500 list with state-run Indian Oil Corp (IOC) ranked highest at 161st with revenues of 54.7 billion US dollars.
- Second and third biggest Indian firms in revenue were Reliance Industries (RIL) and Tata Motors Ltd, with 215th and 226th ranks respectively.
Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud passes away
- Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud passed away in Dax, Aquitaine, France on 20 July 2016 due to cancer. He was 60.
- Born on 19 September 1955 in Tarnos, France, Dominique Arnaud was a French racing cyclist.
- He rode in eleven editions of the Tour de France, which is an annual multiple stage bicycle race primarily held in France.
- He won three stages in the Vuelta and a stage in the Midi Libr.