Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 17th and 18th of July, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains and UBI PO PGDBF Exams 2016.
Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corporation acquires Yatra Online for $218 mn
- Yatra Online, Inc. and Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corporation on 14 July 2016 entered into a definitive merger agreement. The transaction values Yatra at an enterprise value of 218 million dollars (1458 crore rupees).
- Yatra in its statement said that it intends to be listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol "YTRA" following completion of the transaction.
- The combined company will continue to be led by Yatra's experienced management team under the leadership of chief executive and co-founder Dhruv Shringi.
TRI-NETRA System developed for enhancing the vision of Locomotive Pilots in inclement weather
- The Ministry of Railways on 17 July 2016 developed the TRI-NETRA system on locomotives for enhancing the vision of Locomotive Pilots in inclement weather. TRI-NETRA stands for Terrain imaging for diesel dRivers INfra-red, Enhanced opTical &Radar Assisted system.
- TRI-NETRA system is be made up of high-resolution optical video camera, high sensitivity infra-red video camera and additionally a radar-based terrain mapping system. These three components of the system act as three eyes (Tri-Netra) of the Locomotive Pilot.
Highlights of the TRI-NETRA system
- TRI-NETRA is designed to see the terrain ahead of the running locomotive during inclement weather by combining the images captured by the three sub-systems.
- It will create a composite video image which shall be displayed in front of the Loco Pilot on a computer monitor.
- It will give the locomotive pilot a clear view of the track ahead in bad visibility conditions so that he can apply brakes well in time.
- It will also map the terrain ahead so that the driver knows when he is approaching a station or a signal.
Union Government launches Transforming India Website
- The Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad on 15 July 2016 launched Transforming India website www.transformingindia.mygov.in.
- Transforming India website is a repository for sharing the impact of various governance initiatives with citizens in real-time.
Highlights of the website
- It provides information in a user-friendly format enabling citizens to view the content in the form of Infographics, e-books, performance dashboard, videos, daily news corner, etc.
- It facilitates two-way communication between the government and citizens.
- It is also a social platform on which users can share their opinions about various initiatives of the government.
- It acts as a repository of major policies and decisions and provides a central platform to citizens for sharing of transformational changes that they see around themselves.
Nalanda Mahavihara inscribed as 33rd World Heritage Site in India
- The ruins of ancient Nalanda Mahavihara known as old Nalanda University of Bihar on 15 July 2016 got inscribed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- With this, Nalanda University ruins became the second World Heritage Site in Bihar after Bodhgaya's Mahabodhi temple and 33rd such site in India.
- The ruins comprise the archaeological remains of monastic and scholastic institutions dating from the 3rd century BC to the 13th century AD.
- The ruins have large number of remains of stupas, shrines and viharas and important art works in stucco, stone and metal.
- Listing into UNESCO’s heritage site list will help in conserving and protecting the site in a better way with increased funds and many more way.
Three Indian sites listed among UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on 17 July 2016 listed Franco-Swiss architect Le Corbusier’s works among its World Heritage Sites.
- The listed works include Chandigarh’s Complexe du Capitole, Khangchendzonga National Park and Mount Khangchendzonga.
- It is the first time that any country got three sites inscribed in the Word Heritage List at a single session of the committee meeting.
- The chosen works of Le Corbusier depict his contributions to the Modern Movement that emerged after World War I. His works emphasize on functionality, bold lines and materials such as concrete, iron and glass.
Three Indian sites listed in the World Heritage Sites are:
Complexe du Capitole, Chandigarh
- The site comprises three buildings, i.e., Legislative Assembly, Secretariat and High Court.
- Following the independence of India, the divided Punjab required a new capital as Lahore was now in Pakistan. Therefore, Le Corbusier was commissioned by first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru to build a new city of Chandigarh as the capital of Punjab.
- The brief for the design was a city unfettered by the traditions of the past, a symbol of the nation's faith in the future.
- Later, Corbusier and his team constructed large assembly and high court building, and also the major buildings in the city.
- At present, many of the buildings are considered modernist masterpieces.
Khangchendzonga National Park and Mount Khangchendzonga:
- The park is located at the heart of the Himalayan range in Sikkim.
- It includes a unique diversity of plains, valleys, lakes, glaciers and snow-capped mountains covered with ancient forests, including the world’s third highest peak, Mount Khangchendzonga.
- It is the first 'Mixed Heritage' site of India.
- Besides these, Antigua Naval Dockyard and Related Archaeological Sites (Antigua and Barbuda) and Pampulha Modern Ensemble (Brazil) were also included in the list.
Pema Khandu sworn-in as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister
- Pema Khandu was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh at Raj Bhawan in Itanagar on 17 July 2016. Governor Tataghata Roy administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to him.
- Chowna Mein was also sworn-in as the Deputy Chief Minister.
- With this, Khandu, 37, also became the youngest chief minister of the country. He has replaced Nabam Tuki, who resigned from the post after stepping down as leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) on 16 July 2016.
- Tuki also proposed Khandu’s name as the next CLP leader and the new Chief Minister of the state. His proposal was unanimously accepted by all the 43 members present in the CLP meeting.
Guruprasad Mohapatra appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India
- Odisha-born bureaucrat Guruprasad Mohapatra was on 15 July 2016 appointed as the Chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI) with effect from 19 July 2016.
- Guruprasad Mohapatra is a 1986 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
Vijender Singh defeats Kerry Hope to clinch WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title
- Vijender Singh, the boxing star from India, on 16 July 2016 clinched the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title at the Thyagraj Stadium, New Delhi. To win the title, the six-footer from Haryana defeated former WBC European champion Kerry Hope.
- Virender, 30, took all 10 rounds to dismantle the 34-year-old Australian Hope and record his seventh straight win in the circuit. He scored 98-92, 98-92, 100-90 to be the unanimous winner.
- With this, Singh also became the country’s first-ever professional boxing title holder. The win also helped him to climb to 15th in the world in his category.
Soohorang, Bandabi mascots for Pyeongchang 2018 Olympics
- A white tiger named 'Soohorang' and an Asian black bear called 'Bandabi' were unveiled on Monday as the two mascots for the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Pyeongchang scheduled to begin from February 9 to 25.
- “Soohorang and Bandabi will be your good friends and promote the Pyeongchang Olympic Games to the whole world,” Lee hee-beom, president of the Games organising committee, told students during a ceremony at Hoeng Gye elementary school in Pyeongchang.
- Derived from Korean words, Soohorang is made of two words - 'protection' (Sooho) and 'tiger' (ho-rang-i).
- The white tiger is considered a sacred guardian animal in South Korea, with some locals considering the Korean peninsula to be tiger-shaped.
- The 1988 Seoul Olympics also featured a tiger mascot.
- The Paralympic Games mascot “Bandabi” represents courage and strong willpower, organisers said.
Dipika Pallikal Karthik, Saurav Ghosal clinches 73rd Senior National Squash Championship
- The 73rd Senior National Squash Championship held from 12 July – 17 July 2016 concluded in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Women: Final Result
- Dipika Pallikal Karthik (World no. 19) dethroned defending champion Joshna Chinappa 4-11 11-6 11-2 11-8 to regain the women's title. Dipika was playing in the nationals after a five-year gap when she won in 2011.
Men: Final Result
- Top seed Saurav Ghosal defeated fourth seed Harinderpal Singh Sandhu 11-7 7-11 3-11 11-8 14-12 in five hard-fought games to claim the title.
- With this win, Ghosal also created a history of winning the title for the 11th time and went ahead of RK Narpat Singh's feat of 10 titles, won from 1946 to 1955.
Awards & Honors –
Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner named UNESCO Artist for Peace
- Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner was on 10 July 2106 appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace by the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova.
- Erguner was appointed for the post at a ceremony held at the Congress Center in Istanbul (Turkey) after the opening ceremony of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee, which ends on 20 July 2016.
SpaceX launched unmanned Dragon cargo capsule to International space station
- SpaceX on 18 July 2016 launched its unmanned Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station, carrying a key piece of equipment that was lost in 2015 due to rocket explosion. The launch to the ISS is a resupply mission for NASA.
- Dragon spaceship was packed with nearly 23000 kilograms of gear, including science experiments and equipment for the astronauts living in space.
- After blasting off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, the rocket separated after sending the cargo to orbit. Then the first stage of the Falcon 9 rocket landed back on the solid ground in Cape Canaveral at the NASA facility.
- As per the plan, the Dragon is expected to arrive at the space station early 20 July 2016.
- With this, SpaceX now has five successful rocket landings to its name. The first occurred in December 2015, when a Falcon 9 first stage came back to Cape Canaveral during a commercial satellite launch. The other three successful launches happened in April (one) and May (two), these launches were featured with sea landings, on a robotic ship named Of Course I Still Love You.
Nelson Mandela International Day 2016 observed
- Nelson Mandela International Day was observed across the world on 18 July 2016 to honour the Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nelson Mandela (1918-2013).
- The day is aimed at inspiring individuals to take action to help change the world for the better.
- The Day was celebrated for the first time on 18 July 2010 as per a UN General Assembly resolution of November 2009.