Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the Important Current Affairs of 12th July, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains & UBI PO PGDBF Exams 2016.
IDFC Bank acquires India's fifth largest microfinance lender Grama Vidiyal Micro Finance
- Private sector lender IDFC Bank on Tuesday bought South-India based microfinance lender Grama Vidiyal Micro Finance for an undisclosed amount.
- This is a first of its kind transaction where a bank has taken over a microfinance institution (MFI) and made it a subsidiary.
- Grama Vidiyal is the fifth largest MFI in India and has a customer base of 1.2 million, operating from 319 locations across 65 districts of Tamil Nadu, Kerala Karnataka, Puducherry, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
- The asset under management was Rs 1,502 crore as on March 31, with a quarterly profit of about Rs 15 crore.
- Some of the branches of the non-banking finance company would be converted into IDFC branches. IDFC Bank MD and CEO Rajiv Lall said, for the time being, Grama Vidiyal will continue with its own branding. Grama customers will get full access to banking services of IDFC.
Union Ministry of Health launches Nationwide Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on 11 July 2016 launched a nationwide Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF).
- The programme is an effort to decrease infant mortality caused by diarrhoea.
- The IDCF was launched by J P Nadda, Minister of Health and Family Welfare. It will be observed from 1 July to 23 July 2016 across the country.
- As per the statistics, 13 children under the age of five die as a result of diarrhoea every hour in India.
- In 2015, over 21 lakh children were administered Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) and zinc during the 15 days of the programme.
Key highlights of Diarrhoea Control Fortnight
- The programme aims at covering over 80% of children (of the 10 crore children below five years of age) affected by diarrhoea across India.
- The children will be administered ORS by the ASHA workers.
- The children will also be counselled about the benefits and the process of preparing ORS.
- Intensified community awareness campaigns on hygiene and promotion of ORS and Zinc therapy will be conducted at the state, district and village levels.
Admiral Lanba commissions Marine Commandos unit ‘INS Karna’
- Indian Navy’s long pursued endeavour of establishing a dedicated base for its Special Operation Forces – MARCOS (Marine Commandos) – INS Karna was commissioned here by Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba.
- The establishment of the first base for Indian Navy’s elite force with capability to operate in all three dimensions of warfare – air, land and sea – in the homeport of the Navy on the Eastern Seaboard marks another milestone in Indian Navy bonding with the city of Visakhapatnam, Admiral Lanba said at the solemn ceremony organised on the campus of INS Kalinga at Bheemunipatnam here on Tuesday.
Awards & Honors –
President confers 51st Jnanpith Award on Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari
- President Pranab Mukherjee on 11 July 2016 conferred the 51st Jnanpith Award on renowned Gujarati writer Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari at Parliament Library Building, New Delhi. He was awarded with the India's highest literary honour for the year 2015.
- He was given a cash prize, a citation plaque and a bronze replica of Goddess Saraswati.
- With this, he also became the fourth Gujarati literary artist to receive the prestigious award. The other Gujarati recipients of the award are poet Umashankar Joshi (1967), novelist Pannalal Patel (1985) and poet Rajendra Shah (2001).
SRK, Akshay in Forbes list of world’s 100 highest-paid celebrities
- Bollywood superstars Shahrukh Khan and Akshay Kumar are among the world’s highest-paid celebrities of 2016, according to an annual list by Forbes.
- The list has been topped by American singer Taylor Swift with an earning of $170 million.
- Shah Rukh ranks 86th on the list with earnings of $33 million, while Akshay comes in on the 94th spot with $31.5 million earnings.
- Akshay, 48, however slipped in ranks this year from 76th in 2015, Forbes said adding that he is one of Bollywood’s busiest leading men and banked top rupee for three hit films.
- The list also includes author James Patterson on the third spot followed by Real Madrid footballer Cristiano Ronaldo (4), basketball player LeBron James (11) and musician Madonna (12).
- Forbes said the world’s 100 highest-paid celebrities pulled in $5.1 billion pre-tax during the June 2015-2016 scoring period.
- In order to form the Celebrity 100, FORBES evaluates front-of-the-camera talent across the entire entertainment world — idols from Hollywood to Bollywood appear alongside Swedish soccer stars and American basketball players.
World Population Day 2016 observed with theme Investing in teenage girls
- World Population Day was observed on 11 July 2016 with theme Investing in teenage girls.
- The theme focuses on the empowerment of teenage girls.
Sanjay Gupta appointed as CMD of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited
- Sanjay Gupta on 8 July 2016 was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL).
- Prior to Gupta’s elevation, he had been working as Director (Operating & Commercial) of Konkan Railway since 30 September 2013. He had also been officiating as the CMD since 24 November 2015 after the retirement of B P Tayal.