Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 2nd June, 2016. These are important for the upcoming UIIC AO 2016, SBI PO & SBI Clerk Mains Exams 2016.
BMW India Fin Services, ICICI Lombard form tie up
- BMW India Financial Services today announced a tie up with ICICI Lombard General Insurance to offer motor insurance for BMW customers.
- Motor insurance is a key aspect which complements vehicle purchase as it protects owners against unforeseen situations and ensures complete peace of mind.
- BMW India Financial Services offers insurance solutions (as corporate agents) to its customers through its cooperation partners — Bajaj Allianz General Insurance and ICICI Lombard General Insurance, the company added.
Govt to establish 250 agro-processing clusters pan India
- Government plans to set up 250 small agro-processing clusters at an estimated cost of over Rs 5000 crore, Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal said on Thursday.
- After getting the required approvals, the Food Processing Ministry will invite expressions of interest from both public and private players.
- The idea behind this proposal is to take the processing at doorstep of the farmers so that their income can be raised and at the same time wastages can also be reduced which will also help in checking the rise in prices, she said.
- The blue print has been prepared to establish 250 such small clusters and each cluster will require an investment of more than Rs 20 crore, Badal said.
- Sharing the achievements of the government, the minister said that 32 lakh tonnes of food processing capacity with an investment of about Rs 2,000 crore has been established in last two years.
GIFT’s IFSC inks pact with Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Ltd (GIFTCL) and GIFT SEZ Ltd (GIFT SEZ), on Thursday, announced the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
- Under the MOA, GIFTCL, GIFT SEZ and SIAC will collaborate to promote the use of arbitration, mediation, and other dispute resolution mechanisms, including the innovative Arb-Med-Arb service offered by the SIAC and the Singapore International Mediation Centre (SIMC), to resolve international commercial disputes in India's International Financial Services Centre at GIFT, Ajay Pandey, Managing Director and CEO, GIFTCL, said.
- Under the MoA, SIAC will establish a representative office in the IFSC-GIFT, which will be instrumental in promoting SIAC’s world-class international arbitration services to Indian users. Indian parties have consistently ranked amongst the top five foreign users of SIAC in the last five years, and was the top foreign user of SIAC in 2013 and 2015.
India & USA Signs MoU To Enhance Cooperation on Energy Security, Clean Energy & Climate Change
- A Memorandum of Understanding ( MoU) between the Government of India and the Government of the United States of America was signed here today to enhance cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change .
- Shri P.K. Pujari, Secretary, Ministry of Power, Government of India and Mr. Richard R Verma, US Ambassador to India, signed MoU on behalf of Government of India & USA respectively.
- The objective of the MoU is to enhance cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change through increased bilateral engagement and further joint initiatives for promoting sustainable growth.
- These activities are intended to increase incentives for innovation including research and development, and voluntary and mutually-agreed technology transfer, as well as the deployment of clean energy technologies in both countries; contribute to a global effort to curb the rise in greenhouse gas emissions; and enhance resilience to the impacts of climate change.
ConfirmTkt to solve Railway waitlist issues with 'Alternates'
- India's train PNR predictor ConfirmTkt.com has launched a new product 'ConfirmTkt Alternates' to help the waitlisted train passengers to get confirmed tickets by unlocking all the hidden and other best available travel options.
- Available on Android as well as Apple iOS, the app takes into consideration the delay in the train arrivals and departures while suggesting alternates.
- Finding best and comfortable option to travel is never easy but ConfirmTkt does it with ease. Using advanced machine learning algorithms, ConfirmTkt figures out personalized travel options for every user.
India joins ballistic missile proliferation regime, HCoC
- India on Thursday joined the Hague Code of Conduct (HCoC) — a global ballistic missile proliferation regime — but made it clear that it will not have any impact on the national security as well as country's missile programmes.
- External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup also said that India's bid to enter the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) was on track and the process to grant the membership was expected to be completed soon.
- The HCoC is a voluntary, legally non-binding international confidence building and transparency measure that seeks to prevent the proliferation of ballistic missiles that are capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction.
Sachin Tendulkar's name to be used in Kerala Government's Anti-Drug Campaign
- This was announced on 1 June 2016 by the Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. He said that the cricket icon has given his consent to use his name to strengthen the campaign against liquor and drug abuse in the state.
- This agreement was reached when Tendulkar along with three other co-owners of the Kerala Blasters Football Club (KBFC) met Vijayan at the state secretariat. The other co-owners of KBFC are actor-turned politician Chiranjeevi, actor Akkineni Nagarjuna and Prasad.
- Besides, KBFC also agreed to set up a residential Football Academy to train young talents in the state.
India-US MoU on enhancing cooperation in Wildlife Conservation approved
- The Union Cabinet on 1 June 2016 gave its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the United States (US) and India to enhance cooperation in the field of wildlife conservation and combating wildlife trafficking.
The MoU seeks cooperation in the following areas:
- Wildlife Forensics and Conservation Genetics: Useful in species conservation efforts and better scientific evidence collection in wild life crimes leading to better enforcement.
- Natural World Heritage Conservation: Facilitating the institutional capacity of the existing UNESCO Category -2 - centre at Wildlife Institute of India.
- Nature Interpretation and Conservation Awareness: Use of information technology in strengthening interface of forest managers with the people for sensitising people, especially the youth and children in understanding complex issues of conservation of biological diversity.
Asia’s largest technology trade show COMPUTEX started in Taipei
- Asia’s largest technology trade show COMPUTEX was started in Taipei on 31 May 2016. It is attracting more than 1600 companies from 30 countries to showcase their latest products.
- This became the biggest trade show with the highest number of nations participating in last five years.
- COMPUTEX will end on 4 June 2016 and organisers expect the event to attract more than 130000 visitors.
Highlights of the COMPUTEX
- Taiwan’s HTC drew the most media attention for its Virtual Reality (VR) headset Vive that debuted in February 2016.
- HTC showed its first in-house VR game called Front Defense, which allows players to fight enemies using a variety of weapons, from pistols and rifles to rocket launchers.
- It also featured the world’s first VR fitness experience called Holodia.
EU-US sign agreement to protect accessible data
- The European Union (EU) and the US have signed the "Umbrella Agreement", which puts in place a comprehensive high-level data protection framework for criminal law enforcement cooperation, an official statement said on Thursday.
- The agreement improves, in particular, EU citizens' rights by providing equal treatment with US citizens when it comes to judicial redress rights before American courts, according to the statement issued by the Council of the EU.
- The agreement was signed by Dutch Minister of Security and Justice Ard van der Steur and Commissioner for Justice Vera Jourova on behalf of the EU, and by Attorney General Loretta Lynch on behalf of the US authorities.
World Milk Day observed globally
- World Milk Day was observed across the world on 1 June 2016. It is observed to increase awareness on milk and to publicise activities connected with milk and the milk industry.
- It also seeks to inform people about usefulness of milk and milk products, its nutritional value and economic importance.
- The observance of the day was initiated in 2001 by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). FAO actively encourages milk and dairy consumption as part of a daily diet.
- India celebrates National Milk Day on 26 November in memory of Dr Verghese Kurien, Father of India's White Revolution. The first National Milk Day was observed on 14 November 2014.
Books & Authors –
The Unseen Indira Gandhi authored by Dr KP Mathur released
- A new book The Unseen Indira Gandhi authored by Dr KP Mathur was released in May 2016. Dr KP Mathur was personal physician of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for nearly 20 years till her assassination in 1984.
- The Book was published by Konark Publishers.
- The book provides some interesting peeps into the responses of Mrs Gandhi’s to challenges both personal and political.
- The foreword of the book was written by her granddaughter Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
Sri Lanka seam bowler Nuwan Kulasekara retires from Test cricket
- Sri Lanka seam bowler Nuwan Kulasekara announced his retirement from Tests with immediate effect on 1 June 2015. He continues his career in limited over cricket.
- The 33-year old seamer played 21 Test matches for Sri Lanka and picked up 48 wickets since his debut in April 2005.
- He played his last Test in June 2014 at Lord's against England.
- His best bowling performance was against Pakistan picking four wickets for 21 runs.
Noted comedian Razak Khan passes away
- Razak Khan, one of the best comedians of Bollywood movies, passed away on 1 June 2016 following a cardiac arrest in Bandra, Mumbai.
- He was popularly known for his roles in movies like Hello Brother, Hungama and Hera Pheri.