Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 23rd June, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains 2016.
Microsoft Accelerator India joins hand with TCS to boost Start-Up
- Microsoft Accelerator in India and TCS Co-Innovation Network (COIN) today announced a joint initiative to create a platform that provides a boost to the Indian startup ecosystem.
- Under the collaboration, an open innovation framework will be created to mentor and engage with startups to bring their innovative solutions to market.
- The announcement was made at Think Next Summer 2016, Microsoft Accelerator’s flagship forum, which brings together thought leaders in technology who are driving transformation via innovation.
Appointments & Resignations –
LIC Chairman S K Roy resigns
- S.K. Roy, the head of state-run Life Insurance Corp (LIC), the biggest single investor in the country, has tendered his resignation two years before his term was due to end, two sources with direct knowledge said on Thursday.
- Roy has written to the finance ministry but his resignation is yet to be confirmed, said a senior executive at the insurer, as also a senior government official. Both sources declined to be named because they are not authorised to speak to the media.
- The sources did not know the reasons for the resignation.
- Roy and an LIC spokesman could not be immediately reached for comment.
- Roy had been with the insurer more than three decades after rising through the ranks to be appointed chairman in 2013.
SoftBank Group names Ken Miyauchi as President and COO
- Japanese conglomerate SoftBank on 22 June 2016 named Ken Miyauchi, head of the group's Japanese telecommunications operations, as President and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- The appointment came after Nikesh Arora had abruptly resigned from his position after it became clear that Chairman and CEO Masayoshi wanted to remain at the helm longer than first planned.
World Hydrography Day 2016 observed
- World Hydrography Day (WHD) 2016 was observed on 21 June 2016 across the world.
- The theme for the WHD 2016 was Hydrography - the key to well-managed seas and waterways. The theme tries to focus attention on the fundamental importance of hydrography.
- The World Hydrography Day also marks the 95th anniversary of the establishment of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).
- The day is celebrated to increase public awareness of the vital role that hydrography plays in everyone’s life.
United Nations Public Service Day 2016 observed globally
- The United Nations Public Service Day was celebrated by the United Nations (UN) on 23 June 2016.The day was celebrated to mark the invaluable contributions of public servants and administrators to build a better world for all.
- The 2016 United Nations Public Service Day was celebrated at the United Nations Headquarters in New York with a High-level Knowledge Sharing Panel on Leaving No One Behind: Innovative Institutional Approaches and Public Service Delivery.
- This is the first time that the Day is celebrated after the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development was adopted by all United Nations Member States.
International Widows’ Day 2016 observed globally
- The International Widow's Day 2016 was celebrated across the world on 23 June 2016. The day was celebrated to raise awareness on the troubles of widowed women.
- The day throws light on the situation of widows which is sometimes neglected due to absent in statistics, unnoticed by researchers and is mostly overlooked by civil society organizations.
- Generally, widow women have to suffer complete social exclusion. Abuse of widows and their children constitutes one of the most serious violations of human rights and obstacles to development today.
Lists & Indexes –
Mercer's Cost of Living Survey 2016 released; Mumbai costliest in India
- Mercer's Cost of Living Survey 2016 was released on 22 June 2016. Asia dominates the top 5 of 2016 Cost of Living Rankings, with Hong Kong bagging the No. 1 spot, pushing Luanda, Angola to 2nd.
- As per the Mercer’s 22nd annual Cost of Living Survey, top factors contributing to cost of expatriate packages for employees on international assignments are currency fluctuations, cost inflation for goods and services, and instability of accommodation prices.
Key highlights of the survey
- The survey includes more than 375 cities throughout the world. The ranking for 2016 includes 209 cities across five continents.
- It measures the comparative cost of more than 200 items in each location, including housing, transportation, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment.
- New York City is used as the base city for all comparisons and currency movements are measured against the US dollar.
- Kinshasa, which is ranked sixth in the survey, appears for the first time in the top 10 cities.
Five Indian cities were also ranked in the list. They are:
- Mumbai – Rank 82
- New Delhi – Rank 130
- Chennai – Rank 158
- Kolkata – 194
- Bangalore – Rank 180
India slips one spot to 12th rank in millionaire population
- India has slipped one place to 12th spot in terms of millionaire population, even as their numbers have grown marginally to 2 lakh.
- Last year, India was ranked 11th with 1.98 lakh such high networth individuals (HNWIs), according to a report by Capgemini.
- India along with China is seen as engine of growth by the global wealth managers.
- The report said 13% of the global wealth managers feel that India has the biggest area of high net worth individual wealth expansion through 2025, while the same is 27% for China.
- The global wealth is projected to reach $100 trillion by 2025.
- While globally in 2015, HNWI wealth saw only a modest growth of 4%, wealth in Asia-Pacific grew at an aggressive 10%, propelling it to the lead position as the region with the most HNWI wealth globally.
- This is the first time that Asia-Pacific is ahead of North America for both HNWI wealth and population.
Anil Kumble appointed India's head coach for one year
- Former captain Anil Kumble was today appointed the Indian cricket team's head coach for a one-year tenure, bringing an end to the prolonged suspense over who will take over the reins of the side.
- The 45-year-old Kumble pipped former Team Director Ravi Shastri, Australians Tom Moody and Stuart Law and a host of others to clinch the high-profile position following an elaborate selection process headed by a three-member Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC).
- The committee comprising Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman and Sourav Ganguly had interviewed 10 candidates for the job in Kolkata on Tuesday in a marathon session which lasted close to 10 hours.
Manoj Kumar becomes second Indian boxer to secure Rio ticket
- Indian pugilist Manoj Kumar secured his berth for the forthcoming Rio Olympics after advancing to the semifinals of the men's light welter 64 Kg category at the World Qualification event here on Thursday.
- The 29-year-old displayed a superior performance, thumping Tajikistan's Rakhimov Shavkatdzhon 3-0 in the quarterfinal round. He will next face European champion Pat McCormack of Britain in the semifinal on Friday.
- With the win, Manoj became the second boxer after Shiva Thapa (56kg) to make the cut for the Rio Games.
President Pranab Mukherjee returned 3 bills for reconsideration of Manipur Legislative Assembly
- President Pranab Mukherjee in June 2016 returned 3 bills to Manipur Legislative Assembly for reconsideration.
The 3 bills that were returned were –
- The Manipur Land Reforms and Land Revenue (7th Amendment) Bill, 2015
- The Manipur Shops and Establishment (2nd Amendment) Bill, 2015
- The Manipur Protection of Peoples Bill, 2015
These bills, which were passed by the State Legislative Assembly in September 2015, had triggered violence leading to the death of nine people in the State. Their bodies are still being preserved by their families in protest.