Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the important Current Affairs of 20th June, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains 2016 Exam.
Govt relaxes FDI norms, allows 100% in aviation, greenfield pharma
- The NDA government on Monday announced relaxed foreign direct investment (FDI) norms in single brand retail, civil aviation, airports, pharmaceuticals, animal husbandry and food products.
- It has allowed up to 100% foreign direct investment (FDI) in defence through the approval route, 100% FDI in food product e-commerce, 100% FDI in greenfield pharma via the automatic route, 100% in browfield pharma - of which 74% will be through automatic route - 100% FDI in scheduled airlines, and up to 49% FDI in airlines through automatic route.
- While FDI in defence beyond 49% was already allowed through approval route and up to 49% through automatic route, the new norms have done away with the condition of access to ‘state-of-art’ technology in the country for FDI more than 49%.
- FDI inflows for the financial year ending March 2016 stood at $55.46 billion, up from $36.04 billion in the previous fiscal.
- Up to 100% FDI through auomatic route has also been permitted for setting up of uplinking HUBs/Teleports, Mobile TV, DTH, and cable networks operating at national, state and district levels, as well as local cable networks.
TCS, Sernova Financial enter into strategic partnership
- India's largest software exporter TCS on Monday formed a strategic partnership with Sernova Financial to deliver its next generation cloud-based derivative post trade processing service to enable banks to effectively maintain compliance with the changing global regulatory environment while reducing risk.
- The new tie-up combines Sernova's capital markets expertise, Calypso platform's capability and Tata Consultancy Services' (TCS) bouquet of capital markets solutions along with IT-Operations synergies as well as Business Process as a Service (BPaaS) models.
- Sernova's cloud-based clearing service re-creates the shared infrastructure and service elements of traditional clearing brokers and counterparties, providing clients with reduced risk, lower costs, capital efficiency and increased flexibility than with traditional in-house or third party solutions.
URJA Mobile app launched to enhance consumer connect with Urban Power Distribution sector
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal on 16 June 2016 launched the URJA Mobile application.
- The URJA, which stands for Urban Jyoti Abhiyaan, was launched on the on the side-lines of Conference of Power Ministers at Cansaulim in South Goa.
Key features of URJA Mobile app
- It seeks to enhance consumer connect with the Urban Power Distribution sector.
- This objective will be achieved by providing information of IT enabled towns on important parameters which concern the consumers.
- The key parameters include outage information, timely release of connections, addressing complaints, power reliability etc.
- It was developed by Power Finance Corporation Ltd on behalf of Ministry of Power.
Essar Steel becomes First Indian company to develop bullet proof steel
- Joining the elite club of limited global suppliers, Essar Steel (ESIL) has introduced bullet proof steel and become the first dedicated Indian company with this specialised steel.
- Used for bullet proofing of civilian vehicles and that of security personnel, such steel has either been manufactured under restrictive technology transfer agreements with foreign countries, or simply imported into India. There is a good and growing potential for this product as it can be used in light armored vehicles and protective shields or structures. Today, manufacturing bullet proof steel requires a highly specialised technology.
- The specialised steel in bullet proofing of vehicles would not only reduce India's dependence on imported steel but also cut foreign currency outgo with possibility of balancing price quotes.
Dharmendra Pradhan, Jual Oram launced Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in Odisha
- Prime Minister’s Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched in Odisha at Sambalpur by Hon’ble Minister for Tribal Affairs Shri Juel Oram.
- The scheme will especially benefit women households situated in Eastern and North-Eastern states. Odisha, which has LPG penetration much below the national average, will be greatly benefited.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a welfare scheme of Government of India launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2016.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- Ujjwala Yojana is aimed at providing 5 Crore LPG connections in the name of women in BPL (Below Poverty Line) households across the country.
- The government has set a target of 5 Crore LPG connections to be distributed to the BPL households across the country under the scheme.
- Some of the objectives of the scheme are Empowering women and protecting their health.
- Reducing the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuel.
- Reducing the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuel.
- Preventing young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused due to indoor air pollution by burning the fossil fuel.
Nayak Committee recommends dilution of coastal safety regulations
- In what could provide a boost to real estate, construction, ports sector as well as tourism sector in the coastal states, the Shailesh Nayak Committee of environment ministry has proposed several relaxations in the coastal zone regulations.
- If implemented, the changes could lead to a largely diminished role for the central government and the central environmental regulations over coastal areas and a larger say to state governments through their town and country planning departments. Rural coastal zones too could get much greater room to develop under such a revised regime when compared to the restrictions that the existing regulations put in place.
- The report commissioned in June 2014 to relook at the coastal regulations, submitted in January 2015, had been kept under wraps since then by by the environment ministry. It was released in June 2016 to Kanchi Kohli of CPR-Namati Environment Justice Program after orders of the Central Information Commissioner – 18 months after the first application was filed.
International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict observed
- First International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict was observed on 19 June 2016. The day was observed to raise awareness for the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence.
- It calls to honour the victims and survivors of sexual violence around the world and to pay tribute to all those who have courageously devoted their lives to and lost their lives in standing up for the eradication of these crimes.
- The term “conflict-related sexual violence” refers to rape, sexual slavery, forced prostitution, forced pregnancy, forced abortion, enforced sterilization and forced marriage.
World Refugee Day observed on 20 June
- World Refugee Day was observed on 20 June 2016. It is observed annually to draw attention to the plight of refugees, celebrate their courage and resilience and renew commitment to solve refugee problems.
- It also recognises contributions of the refugees made to the countries that host them.
Virginia Raggi becomes first female mayor of Rome
- Virginia Raggi has been elected as Rome's first female mayor in a triumph for the populist Five Star Movement (M5S), representing a blow to Matteo Renzi, Italy's prime minister.
- Raggi swept into City Hall on Sunday with two-thirds of the votes cast in a runoff contest with Roberto Giachetti of Renzi's centre-left Democratic Party (DP).
Former Cricketer And BJP MP Chetan Chauhan Appointed As NIFT Chairman
- Former cricketer and two-time BJP MP Chetan Chauhan has been appointed as the chairman of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) where he has promised to spend '20 percent' of his time.
- Chauhan takes over from Kiran Dhingra, a retired IAS officer as the chairman. The Board of Governors of NIFT, according to The Indian Express, was reconstituted in 2010 under Dayanidhi Maran, Textiles Minister in the UPA. Venu Srinivasan, chairman of TVS Motor Co and managing director of Sundaram Clayton Ltd, was appointed as the chairman then.
Bipin R Patel appointed as President of Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Businessman Bipin R Patel was on 18 June 2016 appointed as the President of Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) for the term 2016-17. He succeeds Rohit J Patel.
- The decision in this regard was taken during the annual general meeting (AGM) of the GCCI. In another development, Shailesh Patwari was appointed as the Senior Vice-President of the chamber.
India won Silver medal at Archery World Cup in Antalya
- The Indian mixed recurve team of Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das on 19 June 2016 won silver at the Archery World Cup in Antalya, Turkey.
- In the final clash at Konyaalti Beach Park, the Indian team lost to South Korea 1-5.
- Indian team trailed 0-2 in the first set against the top-seed Korean pair of Choi Misun and Ku Bonchan and went down 1-5 in the final.
Sri Lankan pacer Shaminda Eranga suspended by ICC for illegal action
- International Cricket Council (ICC) on 19 June 2016 suspended Sri Lanka’s fast bowler Shaminda Eranga from bowling. He was suspended after an assessment of his bowling action.
- The assessment revealed that all deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under the regulations.
- The test was performed on 6 June 20156 at the National Cricket Performance Centre in Loughborough, which is an ICC accredited testing centre.
- Eranga, who has played 41 times for Sri Lanka across all three formats, was reported after the second Test against England at Chester-le-Street on 31 May 2016.
NASA unveils X-57 Hybrid Electric Research Plane
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on 17 June 2016 unveiled the iconic X-57 Hybrid Electric Research Plane nicknamed as Maxwell.
- The plane is fixed with 14 electric motors turning propellers and all of them are integrated into a uniquely-designed wing. NASA will use this plane to test new propulsion technology.
Renowned Educationalist Jeppiaar passes away
- Jeppiaar, a renowned politician-turned-educationalist and founder of Jeppiaar Educational Trust, passed away on 18 June 2016 following a brief illness at Chennai. He was 85.
- He was originally named as Jesadimai Pangiraj. He was a pioneer in the setting up of private engineering institutions in Tamil Nadu and was the founder chancellor of Sathyabama University.