Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the Important Current Affairs from 11th to 13th June, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO & SBI Clerk Mains 2016.
DCB Bank launches Aadhaar enabled ATM in Bengaluru
- DCB Bank on Monday launched Bengaluru's first ATM that accepts Aadhaar number and Aadhaar fingerprint (biometric) instead of ATM/Debit Card and PIN to dispense cash.
- The "cardless and PIN less" ATM was launched by former Chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India, Nandan Nilekani.
- Nilekani is the Chairperson and Co-founder of EkStep Foundation, a non-profit literacy organisation.
- In April 2016, the Bank pilot launched India's first aadhaar based ATM in Mumbai. This was followed by launch of Aadhaar based ATM in Odisha and Punjab.
- The Bank plans to upgrade all its 400 plus ATMs to provide Aadhaar-based functionality in the next six months or so, the release said, adding, presently, only DCB Bank customers will be able to use this facility.
- DCB Bank's branches in Bengaluru offer a range of banking products for micro business, small business, NRIs and individuals, including loans for individuals and business owners, the release said.
Microsoft agrees to buy LinkedIn for $26.2 billion
- Technology giant Microsoft today said it will acquire professional networking platform LinkedIn in an all-cash transaction valued at $26.2 billion.
- Microsoft will acquire LinkedIn for $196 per share in an all-cash deal valued at $26.2 billion, inclusive of LinkedIn’s net cash, Microsoft said in a statement. LinkedIn will retain its distinct brand, culture and independence, it added.
- LinkedIn started out in the living room of co-founder Hoffman in 2002 and was officially launched on May 5 in 2003.
- LinkedIn has seen 19 per cent growth year-on-year to more than 433 million members worldwide while quarterly member page views rose 34 per cent to over 45 billion. Over 92 million users came from Asia and the Pacific region.
- In the first quarter of 2016, LinkedIn’s revenue increased 35 per cent year-on-year to reach $861 million. It had forecast its revenue for the full year 2016 to be in the range of $3.65-3.7 billion.
Tata Power inks deal to buy Welspun Renewables for Rs. 9,249 crore
- Tata Power Renewable Energy Ltd (TPREL) has signed an agreement to acquire Welspun Renewables Energy Ltd (WREL) for Rs. 9,249 crore, reported the Mint. Touted as "the largest ever transaction in the renewable energy space in India," the acquisition will help Tata Power to up its clean energy production to 2300 megawatts (MW).
- Part of $3 billion Welspun Group, WREL currently owns 1140 MW of renewable energy both in solar (900 MW) and wind (150 MW) utilities. The company put its assets on sale earlier this year, and sought an enterprise valuation for Rs. 9,500 crore to Rs. 10,000 crore. Spread across ten states, WREL's 1000MW of capacity is already operational, while the rest of it is in its advanced stage, as reported by Press Trust of India.
- Tata Power Renewable Energy, a 100 percent subsidiary of Tata Power, has 294 MW of operational renewable power capacity at present, and another 400MW projects in solar and wind space under implementation phase. Tata Power is expected to transfer another 500MW renewable asset into Tata Power Renewable Energy.
Bupa completes stake hike in health insurer Max Bupa to 49%
- International health care group Bupa has completed a transaction to increase its stake in health insurance joint venture Max Bupa from existing 26 per cent to 49 per cent.
- For the purchase of additional 23 per cent stake, Bupa has paid Rs. 207 crore to Max India.
- Launched in 2010, Max Bupa is the seventh largest private health insurer in India.
- With the completion of this transaction, Max India's stake in Max Bupa has come down to 51 per cent.
India Post launches logo and tagline design contest for India Post Payments Bank
- India Post on 10 June 2016 launched a logo and tagline design contest for the soon to be set up India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) on the MyGov website.
- Union Cabinet gave its approval 1 June 2016 to set up the IPPB under the Department of Posts to further financial inclusion in India.
- India Post wants to involve the people of India in designing the DNA of the India Post Payments Bank. So, it is conducting a contest for the design.
- It has also initiated a nationwide survey to understand the needs of different segments of customers.
- IPPB will offer digitally enabled payments, banking and remittance services of all kinds between entities and individuals.
- It also provides access to insurance, mutual funds, pension and credit products in partnership with third party financial service providers and Banks.
- Cocreating value propositions and products with its customers and other stakeholders is one of the guiding principles of IPPB.
Union Ministry of Civil Aviation proposes passenger centric amendments to CARs
- Union Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju along with MOS Dr Mahesh Sharma on 11 June 2016 presided over a presentation made by DGCA with regard to Passenger Centric Initiatives.
- The Ministry is committed to ensure that flying for most Indians becomes a pleasant experience along with the growth of the Airline industry. Accordingly, it proposed certain amendments to the existing Civil Aviation Requirements (CARs)
Category wise proposals in the amendments of CARs:
Category –I: Refund of Air Tickets
- The Ministry proposed that the refund process should be completed within 15 working days in case of domestic travel and 30 working days in case of international travel.
Category –II: Denied Boarding, flight cancellation and flight delays
- The Ministry has proposed that an amount equal to 200 percent of booked one way basic fair plus airline fuel charge subject to maximum of 10000 rupees would be paid to passengers in case airline arranges alternate flight that is to depart after one hour but within 24 hours of the booked scheduled departure.
Category –III: Persons with reduced mobility
- Airlines shall develop a procedure for making advance request of stretcher and same should be displayed on airline’s website.
- The Ministry proposed that the Airline should restrict additional baggage charge 100 rupees per kg With regard to checking baggage charges for the baggage between 15 to 20 kilograms.
Union Railway Minister dedicates Champaran Satyagrah Express at Motihari
- Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 10 June 2016 flagged off the weekly Champaran Satyagrah Express at Motihari, Bihar.
- He inaugurated six rail facilities in Bihar on the occasion which includes three Road Over Bridges (ROBs) at Danapur (Patna), Motihari and Begusarai railway stations, the broad guage conversion work of Banmankhi-Purnea rail section, besides converting Piprahan station into a crossing station.
- It was introduced to mark 100 years of the historic Champaran Satyagraha (movement) that was launched by Mahatma Gandhi in 1917.
- The train will run between Bapudham, Motihari and Anand Vihar, Delhi.
Kishore Tiwari-headed Task Force on Farmers submitted its report to Maharashtra Government
- Maharashtra Government appointed taskforce headed by agriculture expert Kishore Tiwari, on 12 June 2016 submitted its report to Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- The taskforce appointed to address agrarian issues has suggested a five-point agenda to bring at least 80 percent of farmers into the institutional credit net.
- It suggested direct collectors of 14 suicide-prone districts of Vidarbha and Marathwada region to start a crop loan helpline.
- It suggested setting up village and taluka-level crop loan committees comprising of ground staff and sarpanch which will prepare a list of hardships being faced by credit-starved farmers.
- It said, tehsildars, block development officers, taluka agriculture officers and other government and bank officers along with the local MLA should be a part of the committee.
Reports & Indexes –
Microsoft released Malware Infection Index 2016
- Microsoft Asia on 7 June 2016 launched its Malware Infection Index 2016 (MII2016). The index identifies the key malware threats and ranks markets in Asia Pacific.
- The index MII2016, revealed Pakistan as the location with the highest malware encounters followed by Indonesia, Bangladesh, Nepal and Vietnam respectively. India stands at No. 8 in region.
- The findings were based on data from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) and the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report.
Other highlights of the Index
- The Asia region is especially vulnerable with emerging countries most at risk of malware threats where more than 1 billion people are on the Internet and individuals and businesses are increasingly operating in a mobile-first, cloud-first world.
- The top three most encountered malware include Gamarue, Skeeyah and Peals.
IEP released the 2016 Global Peace Index, India ranks 141
- Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) on 10 June 2016 released the 2016 Global Peace Index (GPI). It is 10th edition of GPI that measured peace, its causes and its economic value during 2015 for 163 countries.
- India ranked 141 among the 163 countries with 2.566 GPI score. It showed an improvement in peace building as it held 143th rank in 2014 and 2015.
Highlights of 2016 GPI
- The Index shows that the world became less peaceful in 2015, reinforcing the underlying trend of declining peace over the last decade.
- The GPI records a historically less peaceful and more unequal world in which many countries also improved.
- The countries improved in Peace are 81 while deteriorated counts 79.
- The countries that topped the 2016 GPI for being most peaceful are Iceland (1), Denmark (2), Austria (3), New Zealand (4), Portugal (5), Czech Republic (6), Switzerland (7), Canada (8), Japan (9) and Slovenia (10).
- The least peacepul countries are Pakistan (153), Libya (154), Sudan (155), Ukraine (156), Central African Republic (157), Yemen (158), Somalia (159), Afghanistan (160), Iraq (161), South Sudan (162) and Syria (163).
The Rise of Environmental Crime Report released by UNEP and INTERPOL
- The report titled The Rise of Environmental Crime was released by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and INTERPOL on 4 June 2016. The report revealed that environmental crime grew up by 26 per cent larger than previous estimates of 2014.
- Environmental crime is the world's fourth-largest criminal enterprise after drug smuggling, counterfeiting and human trafficking.
- INTERPOL and UNEP have joined forces to bring awareness in the world about the environmental crime.
- The crime includes the illegal trade in wildlife, corporate crime in the forestry sector, the illegal exploitation and sale of gold and other minerals, illegal fisheries, the trafficking of hazardous waste and carbon credit fraud.
Awards & Honors –
Priyanka Chopra nominated for Choice TV Breakout Star in 2016 Teen Choice Awards
- India's bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra was nominated for 2016 Teen Choice Awards on 12 June 2016. She got her final nomination in the category of Choice TV Breakout Star.
- She was nominated for her role as FBI trainee Alex Parrish in American TV series, Quantico.
- Earlier, she also won the Favourite Actress title in a New TV series award at the People’s Choice Awards On 7 January 20162016 for her debut role on an American TV show.
World Day Against Child Labour observed
- The World Day Against Child Labour was observed globally on 12 June 2016 with the theme End child labour in supply chains - It's everyone's business!.
- This year, the focus for World Day Against Child Labour is on child labour and supply chains.
- With 168 million children still in child labour, all supply chains, from agriculture to manufacturing, services to construction, run the risk that child labour may be present.
International Albinism Awareness Day observed worldwide
- Second International Albinism Awareness Day was observed on 13 June 2016. The day is observed to recognize the importance of increasing awareness and understanding of albinism in order to fight against global discrimination and stigma against persons with albinism.
- On 18 December 2014, the General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming, with effect from 13 June 2015, as International Albinism Awareness Day.
Saina Nehwal lifts Australian Open Super Series Badminton trophy
- Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal on 12 June 2016 won the women’s title of the Australian Open Super Series Badminton tournament. In the final match played at Sydney, Saina defeated Chinese Sun Yu 11-21, 21-14, 21-19.
- With this win, she also pocketed a cheque of 56250 US dollars.
- This was first title of year 2016 for 29-year-old Saina and second Australian Open title of her career. She won her first Australian Open title in 2014.
USA wins FINA Women Water Polo World League Super Final
- The USA Women’s Senior National Team on 12 June 2016 won gold at the FINA Women Water Polo World League Super Final. The team defeated Spain 13-9 in the championship match in Shanghai, China.
- The victory marks the United States’ third straight FINA World League Super Final title and 10th overall.
- On the other hand, Australia defeated China 11-3 for the bronze medal.
Norway becomes first country to prohibit deforestation
- Norway in the first week of June 2016 became the first country to prohibit deforestation.
- On 26 May 2016, the Norwegian Parliament had pledged to make government’s public procurement policy deforestation-free. The step was taken after a committee of MPs recommended imposing regulations to ensure the state did not contribute to deforestation of the rainforest.
- The step taken by the government means that the parliament will no longer award government contracts to any company that cuts down and destroys forests.
China launches 23rd BeiDou Navigation Satellite
- China on 12 June 2016 launched its 23rd satellite it the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS). The satellite launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province will support China’s global navigation and positioning network.
- The satellite was taken into orbit by a Long March-3C carrier rocket. It was the 229th launch of the Long March carrier rocket.
Satya Pal Jain appointed as Law Commission member
- Additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian Satya Pal Jain was on 10 June 2016 appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
- The appointment will be in addition to his charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
- He is a noted constitution lawyer and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader.
- He has been the Dean of the Law Faculty of Panjab University and is a Member of the Panjab University Senate for the last 40 years.
About 21st Law Commission of India
- The President constituted the 21st Law Commission of India on 1 September 2015 and will end on 31 August 2018.
- Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan, retired Judge of the Supreme Court, is the Chairman of the Commission and Justice Ravi R Tripathi, retired judge of Gujarat High Court and Bimal N Patel Director, GNLU are the other nominated members of the Commission.
Pedro Pablo Kuczynski wins Peru's Presidential Election
- Peruvian economist Pedro Pablo Kuczynski defeated his rival Keiko Fujimori with a thin margin to become Peru’s next President.
- The National Office of Electoral Processes (ONPE) on 9 June 2016 announced that the Peruvian political organization Peruanos Por el Kambio received the most votes representing 50.12% of valid votes.
- The difference in the total votes was of 41438 with 8580474 votes for Kuczynski and 8539036 for Fujimori.
Gordie Howe, legendary ice hockey player dies
- The legendary Canadian ice hockey player Gordie Howe was died on 10 June 2016 after a lengthy illness. He was 88.
- He was nicknamed as Mr. Hockey and is considered to be one of the greatest ice hockey players of all time.
Veteran journalist Inder Malhotra passes away
- Veteran journalist Inder Malhotra passed away on 11 June 2016 following a long illness. He was 86.
- Malhotra worked as the resident editor of The Statesman in New Delhi from 1965 to 1971.
- He was the also the India correspondent for The Guardian from 1965 to 1978.
- He held the position of editor at The Times of India from 1978 to 1986.
Noted Playwright and Actor Achyut Lahkar passes away
- Noted playwright and actor Achyut Lahkar, doyen of Assam’s mobile theatre movement, passed away on 12 June 2016 following a protracted illness. He was 85.
- Lahkar was the pioneering dramatist, veteran actor director and producer who staged numerous memorable plays in mobile theatre.
Donald Carr, former England Cricket captain, dies aged 89
- Donald Carr, the former captain of England Cricket team, died on 12 June 2016. He was 89.
- Beside prominent batsman Carr was also one of the most prominent administrators of the post-war era.