Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for the upcoming UIIC AO Exam 2016.
Read the followings carefully and answer
Post answers according to the following format(s)
In case the options are ABCD, use the Appropriate Options.
Do Not Rectify anyone.
If you have any doubt regarding any question of the quiz, kindly ask after the quiz is over i.e answers given.
DO NOT GOOGLE ANSWERS!! IT WILL HAMPER YOUR PREPARATION
Do Not CHAT here. If you have any query, use today’s Ask The Mentor Page.
At least 7 Attempts for Scores.
Exampundit.in reserves the right to choose winner or give scores.
Directions (Q. 1-10): In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
The ______(1) of India as an economic superpower is not reflected in the ______(2) of life enjoyed by its 1.2 billion citizens according to the Human Development Index, which ______(3) India very low among 182 countries. In our performance oriented world, measurement issues have taken on ______(4) importance as what we measure affects what we do. In fact, the French President has established an international commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress owing to his ______(5) and that of others with the current state of statistical information about the economy and society. The big question concerns ______(6) Gross Domestic Product ______(GDP) provides a good measure of living standards. In many cases GDP statistics seem to ______(7) that the economy is doing far better than most citizens feel it is. Moreover, the focus on GDP creates conflicts—while political leaders are told to maximise it, citizens also demand that ______(8) be paid to enhancing security, reducing air, water and noise pollution, all of which actually ______(9) GDP growth. Statistics are ______(10) to summarise what is going on in our complex society; it is therefore obvious that we can’t reduce everything to a single number—GDP.
1. 1) tribute 2) pursuit 3) perception 4 ) conversion 5) title
2. 1) loss 2) quality 3) spirit 4) span 5) joy
3. 1) counted 2) scored 3) qualified 4) regard 5) ranked
4. 1) negligible 2) great 3) unduly 4) trivial 5) considerably
5. 1) obedience 2) confidence 3) belief 4 ) dissatisfaction 5) compliance
6. 1) that 2) unless 3) because 4 ) against 5) whether
7. 1) suggest 2) recommend 3) think 4) point 5) refer
8. 1) compensation 2) respect 3) debt 4 ) attention 5) expense
9. 1) recover 2) lower 3) attain 4) decline 5) shrunk
10. 1) inferred 2) difficult 3) interpret 4) reveal 5) intended