Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 4th May, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI Clerk 2016, SBI PO 2016 and UIIC AO 2016.
Union Commerce Ministry launched EXIM Analytics Dashboard for export, import data
- Minister of State (I/C) for Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman on 3 April 2016 launched EXIM Analytics Dashboard to provide an easy access to detailed trade data of the country.
- This web-based dashboard will provide an accurate perspective to the general public on the facts around the trade performance in India.
- The portal developed by the Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics, at the instance of the Ministry would provide data graphically exposing patterns, trends and correlations that might go undetected in text based data.
Former TCS CFO S Mahalingam is non-executive chairman of City Union Bank
- S. Mahalingam, former chief financial officer (CFO) and executive director of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), is set to become the non-executive chairman of City Union Bank.
- Mr. Mahalingam is currently an Independent Director on the board of the bank. He is a well-known name in the field of IT (information technology).
- The board of the bank, which met on Tuesday, has already sought the approval of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for his appointment.
- The board’s decision comes in the wake of S. Balasubramanian vacating the office of part-time Non-Executive Chairman of the bank at the close of business hours on Tuesday upon his superannuation.
- The board, which met on Tuesday, has also co opted M. Narayanan as Additional Director of the Bank.
Sameer Chadha appointed as Partner and CEO of KPMG India
- Sameer Chadha was on 3 May 2016 appointed as the partner and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of KPMG's offshore arm in India.
- Chadha joined KPMG Global Services (KGS) from Barclays Shared Services, where he was the Chief Executive Officer.
Books & Authors –
Sania Mirza pens autobiography "Ace against Odds", to hit stands in July
- Ace tennis star Sania Mirza has documented her journey to become the World No. 1 in the women’s doubles rankings in an autobiography set for release this July, according to publishers Harper Collins.
- Titled, ‘Ace Against Odds,’ the book has been penned by Mirza with her father Imran Mirza.
- The 29-year-old sportswoman, who shot to fame at the age of 16 after winning the Wimbledon’s Championships Girls’ Doubles title, was ranked as India’s No. 1 player by the Women’s Tennis Association, both in singles and doubles circuits.
- The autobiography chronicles her rise to the top, and is peppered with anecdotes where she talks about the difficulties and hardships as well as the joys and triumphs that came her way.
- Mirza, who announced her retirement from the singles circuit in 2012 underwent a remarkable transformation between August 2015 and March 2016, during which she pocketed 41 consecutive wins with her doubles partner Martina Hingis, and went on to become the World No. 1 in the Women’s Doubles rankings.
Mark Selby won World Snooker Championship
- England's world number one Mark Selby on 2 May 2016 won World Championship title of Snooker. In the final match played in Sheffield, Selby from Leicester defeated China’s Ding Junhui 18-14.
- With this win, Selby also ended Ding’s chance of being the first Asian player to win the world title.
- This was Selby’s second trophy of the year, earlier he had won minor Gdynia Open event in Poland.
Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright claimed to be creator of Bitcoin
- Australian entrepreneur Craig Steven Wright on 2 May 2016 publicly identified himself as the creator of Bitcoin, digital cryptocurrency. He claimed to be the real person behind the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin, a claim that is disputed within the Bitcoin community.
- Wright claimed to be the currency’s progenitor in interviews with the BBC, The Economist and GQ. He was first identified as Bitcoin’s founder in December 2015 by Wired magazine and the technology website Gizmodo, but he remained silent then.
NRDC signed agreements for commercialization of Ghar Sodhon
- Ghar Sodhon, a room disinfectant for silkworm rearing houses and appliances, was in news on 3 May 2016.
- It came in news after the National Research Development Corporation (NRDC), under the Union Ministry of Science & Technology inked licence agreements with M/s Nabagram Resham Shilpa Unnayan Cooperative Society Ltd and M/s Dariapur Rural Development Society, Kalia Chak of West Bengal for the commercialization of Ghar Sodhon.