Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 31st May, 2016. These are important for the upcoming UIIC AO 2016, SBI Clerk & SBI PO Mains 2016 Exams.
RBI lets Axis Bank raise foreign shareholding to up to 62% from 49%
- Reserve Bank has allowed Axis Bank to raise foreign shareholding to up to 62%, from the earlier limit of 49%.
- "Foreign institutional investors (FIIs)/registered foreign portfolios investors (RFPIs) can now invest from the existing 49% up to 62%of the paid-up capital of Axis Bank under the Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS)", RBI said in a notification.
- RBI said total foreign investment from all sources in the bank shall not exceed 62% of the paid-up capital.
- The decision was taken after passage of resolutions at the level of the board of directors and through a special resolution by the shareholders, agreeing to enhancing the limit for purchase of its shares and convertible debentures by FIIs/RFPIs.
- One of the leading private lenders, Axis Bank started operations in 1994 and has been promoted by financial institutions such as UTI, LIC, GIC and its subsidiaries.
Flipkart introduces online 'No Cost EMI' option
- E-commerce major Flipkart on Tuesday introduced "No Cost EMI" option to make online shopping affordable for high-end purchases through an attractive financing option of equated monthly installments (EMI) where customers will not bear additional cost.
- Flipkart's "No Cost EMI" entails zero processing fee, zero down payment and zero interest for customers.
- With the introduction of "No Cost EMI" option, Flipkart aims to enable more people to get access to products they aspire for.
- The company has partnered with Bajaj Finserv and key brands to create this offering which is available for select products and sellers for now. The offering comes with loan tenures starting three months up to 12 months.
Southern Railway introduces countries first 'Auto Vision Policy'
- For the first time in the country, a division of the Indian Railways has introduced an 'Auto Vision Policy'. The Southern Railway, which caters to the 'Detroit of India', the Chennai automobile cluster, has introduced the policy and also signed memorandums of understanding with two major ports to bring down cost to match road transportation.
- The policy was released at a seminar 'Freight on Southern Railway' by Vashishta Johri, general manager, Southern Railway.
- The Auto-Vision statement of the Southern Railway will extensively leverage on all five levers of growth, including competitive pricing, operational effectiveness, capital expenditure, rationalisation of management practices and enhancing teamwork within employees and pro active outreach towards customers.
- The vision seeks to generate revenues in the auto segment in excess of Rs 500 crore in a 10 year time frame and at a compound annual growth rate of 30%.
- The vision also talked about enhancing the railways' share in the export and coastal ro-ro (Roll-on/roll-off) segment to 90%, accruing revenues of Rs 90 crore.
- The division has set its sight on taking the rail share to 50% in the container based export market, accruing annual revenues of Rs 60 crore and running two parcel express trains per day of maintenance spares and supplementary goods and leveraging on the warehousing business to generate revenues in excess of Rs 150 crore.
Tata Motors signs MoU with Automotive Skills Development Council
- In yet another instance of the growing industry and academia connect in the country, Tata Motors has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Automotive Skill Development Council (ASDC), a government of India-recognised skill council for a collaborative skill development program in the automotive sector.
- This partnership will help Tata Motors’ skill development centres across its six plants in India and will comply as per competency levels of the NSQF (National Skills Qualification Framework).
- Till date, the ASDC has contributed to the development this industry by creating 188 Qualification Packs (QPs) comprising of 938 National Occupational Standards (NOS) related to the automotive sector. Tata Motors’ partnership with ASDC will further enhance the expertise in conducting research, developing training course curriculums and certification of trainers and students, in consultation with experts from the automotive industry and from academia.
ONGC Videsh signs pact with SOCAR Trading for oil trading
- ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL), the overseas arm of state-run explorer Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), today announced it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with SOCAR Trading SA, the trading arm of Azerbaijan's government-owned energy firm SOCAR, for foraying into oil trading business.
- The objective of the MoU, signed in Geneva on 27 May, is to explore possibilities of joint marketing of OVL's crude oil portfolio by leveraging SOCAR Trading's experience in oil trading, OVL said in a statement.
- The Azeri-Chirag-Guneshli (ACG) field is located off the coast of Baku and is said to be the largest oilfield in the Azerbaijan sector of the Caspian basin. OVL had earlier bought a 2.7 per cent stake in the field from US-based Hess for $1 billion.
|Surajit Kar Purkaystha|
Surajit Kar Purkayastha appointed Director General of West Bengal Police
- Surajit Kar Purkayastha on 30 May 2016 was appointed the Director General of West Bengal Police.
- Purkayastha will replace G.M.P Reddy, who retires on 31 May 2016.
- Director General of Police, Intelligence Branch, Raj Kanojia, three years senior to Purkayastha in the service, has been shifted to the post of Commandant General and DG Home Guards.
Ashok Lavasa takes over as finance secretary
- Expenditure secretary Ashok Lavasa is the new finance secretary.
- The appointments committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment, an official statement said here on Tuesday.
- The post of finance secretary has been lying vacant since Ratan Watal retired in April. He was also expenditure secretary.
- The senior most of the five secretaries in the finance ministry becomes finance secretary.
- The other secretaries in the North Block are Shaktikanta Das (economic affairs), Hasmukh Adhia (revenue secretary), Anjuly Chhib Duggal (financial services), Neeraj kumar Gupta (disinvestment).
Admiral Sunil Lanba takes charge as Chief of Naval Staff
- Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba took charge as the new Chief of the Naval Staff on Tuesday, as Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral R.K. Dhowan superannuated from service.
- Born on 17 July, 1957, Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba was commissioned on 1 January, 1978 into the Executive Branch of Indian Navy.
- During his long and distinguished service spanning nearly 38 years, he has served in a variety of Command, operational and staff appointments.
- Vice Admiral Lanba's Sea Command includes commanding the minesweeper INS Kakinada, frigate INS Himgiri and Executive Officer of INS Viraat, the aircraft carrier.
- Before taking over as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C), Western Naval Command, he was FOC-in-C, Southern Naval Command, Vice Chief of the Naval Staff and Commandant, National Defence College.
Railways. PEC sign MoU to set up Kalpana Chawla Chair on geospatial technology
- Ministry of Railways and PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh on 30 May 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up Kalpana Chawla Chair on Geospatial Technology for Indian Railways at the University.
- The MoU was signed in the backdrop of 2016-17 Railway Minister’s Budget announcement.
- For the purpose, the Indian Railways would provide a corpus of 10 Crore rupees to PEC University of Technology, for setting and to meet the running expenses of this chair.
- To encourage research activities in Geo-spatial Technology.
- To strengthen Indian Railways especially Railway projects where use of remote sensing data, global positioning system (GPS) and Geographical information System (GIS) is predominant.
- This academic chair is being instituted in fond memory of Late Kalpana Chawla an Indo–American Astronaut and Alumnus of PEC during the year 1978-82.
- To honour her contributions in Aerospace Engineering Indian Railways decided to institute the academic chair in the area of Geo-spatial Technology in her alma mater.
- Incidentally, Chawla was the first woman of Indian origin in space.
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu becomes first Indian to play in Tippeligaen
- National football team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu on 29 May 2016 became the first Indian to play top-tier European football league match. He turned out for Norwegian side Stabaek FC in Norwegian Premier League (Tippeligaen) .
About Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
- Gurpreet Singh Sandhu signed for Stabaek FC in 2014.
- He played his first Tippeligaen (Norwegian Premier League) for Stabaek FC on 29 may 2016 and helped the team to claim a dominant 5-0 triumph over IK Start.
- He made his debut for the Indian national team against Turkmenistan in 2013.
- He was trained in the Tata Football Academy and represented India at the Under-19 and Under-23 levels.
Alastair Cook becomes youngest cricketer to score 10000 Test runs
- England cricket captain Alastair Cook on 30 May 2016 became youngest Cricketer to score 10000 test runs.
- Cook, who is 31 years, 5 months, 5 days old, achieved the fete on the fourth day of the second test against Sri Lanka at Chester-le-Street by flicking Nuwan Pradeep to the deep mid wicket fence for a boundary. It was his 128th Test.
- Cook went on to make 47 not out as England won the Test by nine wickets.
- The previous record was held by Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar who reached the landmark score against Pakistan at Eden Gardens in 2005. He achieved the same at the age of 31 years, 10 months and 20 days.
Real Madrid wins 2015-16 UEFA Champions League
- Real Madrid on 29 May 2016 won the 2015-16 UEFA Champions League title. In the titled clash, Real Madrid defeated their city rivals Atletico Madrid via a penalty shoot-out following a 1-1 draw.
- This was Madrid’s 11th European Champion title.
- Cristiano Ronaldo scored the winning penalty in a 5-3 shootout victory against Atletico Madrid. Atletico earlier lost in their two previous finals appearances.
World No Tobacco Day 2016 observed across the world
- The World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) 2016 was observed globally on 31 May 2016.
- To mark this occasion, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Secretariat of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control called countries to get ready for plain packaging of tobacco products.
- Every year, on 31 May, the WHO and its partners in close collaboration with the governmental and non governmental agencies organize events, workshops, seminars to raise awareness about the ill effects of tobacco processing, trade and usage among the masses and the policy makers.
42nd G7 Summit concluded in Japan
- The 42nd G7 Summit was held at Ise-Shima in Japan for 2-days from 26 May to 27 May 2016. During the summit, the member countries discussed a wide range of major global economic and political challenges and approved the G7 Ise-Shima Leaders’ Declaration.
- The summit assumed significance as it was the first one to be held after the adoption of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda by the United Nations in September 2015.
- During the summit, global economy and trade, climate change and energy, development, health and quality infrastructure investment were discussed by the leaders.
Veteran TV and film actor Suresh Chatwal passes away
- Veteran TV and film actor Suresh Chatwal passed away on 29 May 2016 following a brief illness in Mumbai.
- The actor was known for his role of Commissioner Suraj Agnihotri in F.I.R .