Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 28th May, 2016. These are important for the upcoming UIIC AO 2016, SBI PO & Clerk Mains 2016.
ISRO to launch record 22 satellites in single mission in June
- ISRO today said it will launch a record 22 satellites in a single mission next month.
- Speaking on the sidelines of an event organised by Federation of Karnataka Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FKCCI), he said that of the 22 satellites, three are Indian and the rest all commercial.
- Earlier, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre Director K Sivan had said ISRO’s workhorse Polar rocket PSLV C34 will be used for the launch, which will have satellites from US, Canada, Indonesia and Germany as co-passengers.
- The space agency had earlier sent ten satellites into orbit in a single mission in 2008.
- The first in the series of experimental flights for Reusable Launch Vehicle-technology development is the hypersonic flight experiment (HEX) followed by the landing experiment (LEX), return flight experiment (REX) and scramjet propulsion experiment (SPEX).
Lakshadweep became first Union Territory to sign 24x7 Power for All document
- Lakshadweep on 27 May 2016 signed 24x7 Power for All document. It became the first Union Territory (UT) to sign the document which aims to provide each household access to electricity through 24x7 Power supply by 2019.
Key Features of the Document
- It chalks out a plan to increase solar capacity of the region from 2.15 MW to 8.45 MW.
- The plan also envisions reduction of AT & C losses from current level of 21 percent to 6.7 percent till 2019 by increasing the collection efficiency up to 99 percent.
- As a part of energy efficiency measures, 1 lakh LED bulbs will be distributed by UT administration through Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) and Incandescent lamps/CFL bulbs will be replaced with LED bulbs under UJALA programme.
- In addition to that 3000 conventional street lights will be replaced with LED street lights.
India, Aus sign MoU to enhance R&D capabilities in biotech
- Seeking to stimulate and enhance the strategic research and innovation capabilities of the Indian biotech industry, BIRAC, a PSU under the Ministry of Science and Technology signed an MoU with Horticulture Innovation Australia for launching a joint funding call.
- The focus of the call is to undertake horticultural research in order to develop and deploy modern tools of plant biotechnology to improve crop productivity. The funding commitment from BIRAC and Hort Innovation is up to 6 million Australian dollars over a period of three years.
- Horticulture Innovation Australia (Hort Innovation) is a not-for-profit, grower-owned Research and Development and marketing company for Australia's horticulture industry.
- It works collaboratively with industry, the Australian government and the nation's leading research institutions to deliver ground-breaking advancements in areas such as agri-technology, pest management, trade and industry promotion.
Committee for Evolution of a National Education Policy submits report to Union HRD Ministry
- The Committee for the evolution of a National Education Policy on 27 May 2016 submitted the report containing its recommendations to the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD).
Key Features of the committee
- The Committee examined the large body of outcome documents, recommendations and suggestions received from the various consultations.
- The Committee also had several meetings with various stakeholders and held regional consultations as well as undertaken field visits to educational institutions.
- Union HRD Ministry had undertaken a consultation process for framing a New Education Policy (NEP).
- The process included online, grassroots and national level thematic deliberations on 33 themes.
Indian Coast Guard Ship ARUSH Commissioned
- The Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) ARUSH was commissioned on 26 May 2016 by the Coast Guard Commander (Western Seaboard) Additional Director General SPS Basra at Kochi.
- The ship has been named ICGS ARUSH that means first ray of sun. ARUSH is the seventeenth ship in the series of twenty Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs), designed and built by M/s Cochin Shipyard Limited.
Highlights of the ICGS ARUSH
- The 50 meter indigenous FPV displaces 421 tonnes and can achieve a maximum speed of 33 knots with an endurance of 1500 nautical miles at economical speed of 13 knots.
- It is equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry and advanced communication and navigational equipment.
- It makes an ideal platform for undertaking multifarious close-coast missions such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue and medical evacuation.
- The special features of the ship include an Integrated Bridge Management System (IBMS) and Integrated Machinery Control System (IMCS).
Anantha Radhakrishnan is new MD of Infosys BPO
- Infosys has appointed Anantha Radhakrishnan as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of its backoffice arm.
- Prior to this role, Mr Radhakrishnan was the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Infosys BPO managing its global operations, according to the company’s website.
- The company also appointed Anup Uppadhayay, the incumbent CEO of Infosys BPO, as the Executive Vice President and the Head of Strategic Sales Programmes.
- He will work with Mohit Joshi who is responsible for sales operations and reporting processes, including large deal pursuits and top account growth.
Former Union Minister V Narayanasamy next CM of Puducherry
- Former Union Minister and All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary V Narayanasamy will be the new Chief Minister of Puducherry.
- He was elected as the Congress Legislature Party leader today and the announcement was made by former Delhi Chief Minister SheIla Dikshit and AICC general secretary Mukul Wasnik, after holding talks with various representatives at Puducherry today.
- Puducherry Congress leaders were camping at Delhi during the past two days, to meet Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi, as there was infighting on the selection of a candidate for the CM's post.
Awards & Honors –
Sunil Bharti Mittal receives 2016 Harvard Alumni Award
- Bharti Enterprises founder and Chairman Sunil Bharti Mittal on 27 May 2016 received 2016 Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award.
- It is the Harvard Business School’s highest honour.
- He is the founder, chairman and Group CEO of Bharti Enterprises, which has interests in telecom, financial services, retail and agri business.
- The Group flagship Bharti Airtel, with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa and has customer base of over 275 million.
- It is India’s largest telecom company and world’s third largest mobile operator.
- He is listed as the eight richest person in India by Forbes with a Net worth of 7 billion dollars.
Pakke Tiger Reserve in Arunachal Pradesh bagged India Biodiversity Award 2016
- Pakke Tiger Reserve on 22 May 2016 received the 'India Biodiversity Award 2016' in one of its four categories in Mumbai. The reserve is in East Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Hornbill Nest Adoption Programme of the Pakke Tiger Reserve was awarded the prize under Conservation of threatened species category.
- Besides this, Hong Niitii, Lower Subansiri was awarded under category IV Biodiversity Management Committee (BMC) award.
Hornbill Nest Adoption Programme
- It is a collaboration of Ghora-Aabhe Society, Nature Conservation Foundation and the State Forest Departments.
- Under this programme, urban citizens contribute money to protect hornbill nests around Pakke Tiger Reserve.
Tech Mahindra to acquire U.K.-based Target Group
- Tech Mahindra will acquire U.K. headquartered Target Group to strengthen its presence in the banking and financial services (BFSI) segment in the European IT services market, according to a top official.
- The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of FY17, subject to regulatory approvals. The total value of the acquisition is £112 million (or $164 million or Rs 1,100 crore) and an adjustment for surplus cash up to £8 million.
- Target Group is a provider of business process outsourcing and software solutions. Its fintech platform manages assets in excess of £24 billion. Tech Mahindra will pay £64 million upfront and a deferred consideration of up to £16.28 million in 2017.
- In addition, the company is also rolling over 7.6 per cent equity value into the Target Group, at present worth £6.8 million, which will be paid out in 2020 as a second deferred consideration depending on the performance of the company during 2017-2019.
Para athlete Amit Kumar Saroha wins Gold in 2016 French Open Athletics Championship
- Indian para athlete Amit Kumar Saroha clinched gold medal in men's club throw (F-51) at the 2016 French Open Athletics Championship in Paris. The event was held on 23 May and 24 May 2016.
- Saroha’s effort of 26.58 meter broke the Asian record which he had himself set at 2015 World Championships in Doha.
- The French Open Athletics Championship was part of his preparation for Rio 2016. The athlete has already qualified for the 2016 Rio Paralympics.