Hello and welcome to exampundit . Here are the Important Current Affairs of 10th May, 2016. These are important for the upcoming SBI Clerk Mains, SBI PO Mains 2016 and UIIC AO 2016.
Uma Bharti launched Rural Sanitation Initiatives for Ganga Rejuvenation in Jharkhand
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti on 9 May 2016 launched nine projects for rural sanitation initiatives for conservation of River Ganga in Sahibganj, Jharkhand.
- The initiatives were launched under Namami Gange Programme of the Ministry.
- The main aim of these projects is to improve the health and quality of life of around 45000 households located in 78 villages of the Ganga River basin in Jharkhand through improved sanitation practices.
- It also seeks to improve the quality of waste water and storm water runoff flowing from the villages into the river Ganga.
Highlights of the projects
- The projects will cover the entire 83 kilometer stretch of Ganga in Jharkhand.
Google launches Free Public Wi-Fi Service at 5 Railway Stations as part of Railwire
- Google on 9 May 2016 announced the launch of its free high-speed public WiFi service at railway stations of Ujjain, Jaipur, Patna, Guwahati, and Allahabad.
- Google has deployed service over RailWire which is an extensive fibre network of Indian Railway's arm Railtel that provides Internet services.
- With this, the free Wi-Fi service is now available to users at 15 stations across the country.
- Google had a phenomenal response to the service Mumbai Central and hence it is extending the project to cover key suburban Mumbai stations working with RailTel.
ISRO sets up Nozzle Testing Laboratories (NTL) at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Indian Space Research Organisation has established Nozzle Testing Laboratories (NTL) at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram, to carry out better research in the area of rocket nozzle.
- The NTL that were inaugurated recently by ISRO Chairman, are "unique" and established for the first time in the country for carrying out advanced research and development in the area of rocket nozzle, ISRO said.
- Stating that performance improvement in propulsion systems is essential towards achieving cost effective launch vehicles, the space agency said apart from propellant energetics, the nozzle plays a vital role in improving propulsion system performance.
Ministry of Environment & Forests launches web-based application on Integrated Waste Management System
- The Ministry of Environment and Forests on 9 May 2016 launched a web-based application on Integrated Waste Management System (IWMS). The system’s web address is www.iwms.nic.in.
- The government launched the system for better management of waste. The user-friendly application is capable of tracking the movement of hazardous waste.
- Objectives of the Integrated Waste Management System to enhance transparency in the working of the Ministry and other Centre/State level regulatory bodies.
Senior advocate Atma Ram Nadkarni appointed Additional Solicitor General
- Senior advocate of Bombay High Court Atma Ram Nadkarni on 9 May 2016 was appointed as Additional Solicitor General (ASG).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of Nadkarni as Additional Solicitor General in Supreme Court for a period of three years.
- Additional Solicitor General of India abbreviated is a law officer of India and is the third ranking lawyer of the Government of India.
Ex-Snapdeal VP Rahul Taneja appointed as Chief Business Officer for Jabong
- India's leading online fashion destination Jabong has announced the appointment of Rahul Taneja as the company's Chief Business Officer. This is the fifth top management appointment in Jabong under the leadership of CEO, Sanjeev Mohanty.
- Responsible for overseeing category management, pricing, creative campaigns and offline/ brand marketing at Jabong, Rahul Taneja has been previously associated with Procter and Gamble, PepsiCo and Philips.
- Jabong had recently announced the appointment of Muralikrishnan B as its Chief Operating Officer and Deepa Chadha as its Chief Human Resource Officer.
Ranglal Jamuda appointed Odisha food commission chairperson
- After a prolonged delay, the state government finally appointed retired bureaucrat Ranglal Jamuda as the first chairman of Odisha Food Commission.
- The commission will monitor and evaluate the implementation of National Food Security Act (NFSA) in the state. The 1981 batch IAS officer was the union secretary for ministry of food processing industries and was also the state agriculture secretary.
- Retired district Judge Manoj Panda and former MLA Sipra Mallick was appointed members of the commission.
Rodrigo Duterte wins Philippines presidential elections
- Maverick anti-crime candidate Rodrigo “Digong” Duterte has won the Philippine presidential elections, following the withdrawal of his opponents.
- Although the official result has not yet been declared, main rival Mar Roxas admitted defeat after polls gave Mr. Duterte an unassailable lead, BBC reported.
- Mr. Duterte said he accepted the mandate with “extreme humility.”
- The 71-year-old stirred controversy during campaigning with his incendiary comments.
- He has credited his success to his tough stance on law and order.
Awards & Honors –
Japan honours N.K. Singh with ‘The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’ award
- Bureaucrat-turned-politician N.K. Singh was today honoured with Japan’s second highest national decoration for his contribution in strengthening Indo-Japan ties in the field of trade and investment over the last few decades.
- ‘The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’ award was conferred on Mr. Singh by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at a glittering ceremony at the Imperial Palace here.
- The award citation hailed Mr. Singh’s role in boosting Indo-Japan economic ties, particularly in promoting Japanese investments into India over many years.
- Awards were conferred on a total of 91 eminent personalities, including eight foreign recipients. The awardees also had an audience with Emperor of Japan Akihito.
Indian scientist Manvendra K Singh bags SGD 3 million grant from Singapore's NRF
- Dr Manvendra K Singh, a scientist from Uttar Pradesh's Gorakhpur city, was awarded a grant of SGD 3 million (about 14.7 crore rupees) by Singapore’s National Research Foundation (NRF).
- Dr. Singh in the first week of May 2016 announced that he is among the seven young scientists from across the world to be endowed with the Singapore NRF fellowship.
- The scientist has been awarded the fellowship to pursue research in the field of congenital and adult cardiovascular diseases.
Obama signs National Bison Legacy Act making Bison the First National Mammal
- US President Barack Obama on 9 May 2016 signed National Bison Legacy Act into law officially making the American bison the country’s first national mammal.
- With this, Bison, the animal that once roamed North America, joins the ranks of the Bald Eagle as the official symbol of the country.
- Its designation as national mammal do not hampers bald eagle’s position as the national animal because eagle that is birthed through eggs in not a mammal.
World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) observed on 10 May
- World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was observed across the world on 10 May 2016. The theme for 2016 WMBD 2014 was Stop the Illegal Killing, Taking and Trade of Migratory Birds.
- The day is observed with an aim to raise awareness and highlight the need for the protection of migratory birds and their habitats.
- Each year, on the second weekend in May, people around the world take action and organize public events such as bird festivals, education programmes, exhibitions and bird-watching excursions to celebrate WMBD.
- World Migratory Bird Day is an annual global celebration initiated in 2006 by United Nation.
Indian boxers won 4 medals at 7th Asian Youth Championship
- Indian boxers on 9 May 2016 won four medals at the 7th Asian Youth Championships held in Pavlodar, Kazakhstan. India finished at third in the overall standings with three silver and a bronze medal in the tournament.
- The Indian boxers who won silver medals are National champion Ankush Dahiya (60kg), Ashish Kulhirya (64kg) and Reyal Puri (81kg). Manjeet Singh (+91kg) won the solitary bronze.
- Kazakhstan topped the medal tally with 6 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze medals followed by Uzbekistan at second position with 3 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze medals.
Shashank Manohar quits as BCCI president to join ICC as President
- Shashank Manohar Tuesday stepped down as BCCI president barely seven months after being appointed for a second term in place of the late Jagmohan Dalmiya and is all set to take over as first independent chairman of ICC.
- Manohar leaves at a time when the board is being directed to comply with the Supreme Court-appointed Justice Lodha panel's reform recommendations.
Famous American actor William Schallert died
- Famous American actor William Schallert passed away on 8 May 2016 in California, U.S. He was 93.
- The actor was best known for his work as Martin Lane on the hit series The Patty Duke Show, which aired on ABC from 1963 until 1966.