Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 23rd April, 2016. These are Important for the upcoming NABARD Assistant Manager and SBI Clerk 2016.
Mahindra became first Indian company to join EP100 campaign
- Mahindra & Mahindra on 22 April 2016 became the first Indian company to join a global energy campaign, EP100, led by an international non-profit group. The Climate Group. It will work with the world's most influential businesses in setting commitments to double their energy productivity.
- Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra represented the corporate world at the high-level signing ceremony of the historic Paris climate change agreement at the United Nations on 22 April 2016.
- By signing to this campaign, the company committed to double its energy productivity by 2030 which is a core requirement for any business signing on to the campaign.
- The concept of energy productivity aligns energy efficiency more directly with business growth and development objectives. If more companies were to adopt energy productivity within their business models, the global fossil fuel bill could be reduced by an estimated 2 trillion Euros (INR 1 crore 52 lakhs crores) and create more than six million jobs globally by 2020.
Uber partners with FICCI, Gujarat Tourism for soft skill training
- Cab aggregator, Uber has entered into a partnership with Gujarat Tourism and FICCI in Ahmedabad city to facilitate training for Uber driver-partners.
- The training is designed and conducted by Ace Driving & Road Safety Education Pvt Ltd on areas of Safe Driving and Interpersonal Skills of the drivers, in order to improve the overall rider experience in Gujarat.
- According to a statement from Uber, the training will be conducted on an ongoing basis and will be optional for all Uber driver-partners. All drivers who attend the training will be certified by FICCI and Gujarat Tourism under their program, it added.
Salman Khan named goodwill ambassador of India’s Olympic contingent
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan was announced as the Goodwill Ambassador for the Indian contingent at Rio Olympics, this year.
- Rio Olympics is scheduled to commence on August 5 and end on August 21.
- The Olympic torch has been lit in southern Greece, kicking off the countdown to Rio 2016 on April 21.
- In a solemn and elaborate ceremony worthy of a 'Game of Thrones' pageant, women in ancient-Greek style dresses and men in tunics performed symbolic rituals at the site of Ancient Olympia.
- After its sprint through Greece, the torch will travel to Brazil on April 27 to begin a 95-day tour visiting 83 cities, 26 state capitals and 500 towns, reaching an estimated 90 per cent of the population.
Edelweiss Group to be principal sponsor of Indian contingent for Rio Olympics
- Diversified financial services major Edelweiss Group has been chosen by the Indian Olympics Association (IOA) as the principal sponsor for the Indian contingent at the upcoming Rio Olympics in August this year.
- Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance will, among other things, offer a Life Insurance cover of Rs. 1 crore for each athlete representing India at the Rio Olympics, the IOA announced on Saturday at a press conference here.
- IOA also announced that Bollywood superstar Salman Khan as the Brand Ambassador of the Indian contingent for the Rio Olympics.
- This is the first time in the history of IOA that a brand ambassador has been appointed from Bollywood. The association between IOA and Salman Khan has been initiated by IOS Sports & Entertainment, Official agency of Indian Olympic Association.
President nominated 6 eminent personalities to Rajya Sabha
- President Pranab Mukherjee on 22 April 2016 nominated of six eminent personalities from different fields to Rajya Sabha following a recommendation of the Union government.
The nominated members are:
- Subramanian Swamy: a BJP leader from Tamil Nadu, He was elected to Lok Sabha in 1977, 1980 and 1988, and to the Rajya Sabha in 1974 and 1998.
- Narendra Jadhav: a renowned economist and former member of the erstwhile National Advisory Council (2010-14) and Planning Commission (2009-14). He was the former vice-chancellor of Pune University.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu: Former Indian cricketer-turned-politician and served as MP in Lok Sabha for three terms.
- Suresh Gopi: a Malayalam actor who acted in over 200 films. He was a winner of the National Film and Filmfare Awards.
- Swapan Dasgupta: a journalist, who worked at senior editorial positions in various publications which include The Indian Express, India Today and The Times of India. He is a prolific writer in three languages - Marathi, English and Hindi - and credited with writing and editing more than 30 books.
- Mary Kom: Legendary boxer and Olympic bronze medallist. She belongs to the Sino-Tibetan speaking Kom tribe of Manipur. She is five-time World Amateur Boxing champion, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships. In 2014, she became the first Indian woman boxer to get a gold medal in the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea. She was picked to ensure representation from Northeastern states.
Anti-slavery activist Harriet Tubman to become first African-American to appear on US paper currency
- The U.S. Treasury Department announced on 20 April 2016 that the image of an American abolitionist and anti-slavery activist Harriet Tubman will appear on a new series of US $20 bills.
- With this, Tubman will become the first African-American and the first woman in more than a century to appear on U.S. paper currency.
- Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, to appear as the portrait gracing the US $20 bill.
- Harriet Tubman was an American abolitionist, humanitarian, and an armed scout and spy for the United States Army during the American Civil War.
- She was born as a slave in Dorchester County, Maryland. She was beaten and whipped by her various masters as a child. In 1849, she escaped to Philadelphia, then immediately returned to Maryland to rescue her family.
Idriss Deby elected as Chadian President for the fifth time
- Idriss Deby was on 21 April 2016 elected as the President of Chad. With this, Deby became the incumbent President with fifth term in office in a lopsided first-round victory.
- In the 2016 election, Idriss Deby of Patriotic Salvation Movement (MPS) party secured the 61.56 percent of the vote in the first-round runoff.
- The opposition leader Saleh Kebzabo finished at second position with 12.80 percent of the vote followed by Laokein Kourayo Mbaiherem with 10.60 percent.
Hollywood movie director Guy Hamilton died
- Veteran Movie director Guy Hamilton, who directed four hugely popular James Bond films, passed away on 20 April 2016 in a hospital on the Spanish island of Mallorca. He was 93.
- He was popularly known for raising the profile of the Bond movie brand through his work with actors Sean Connery and Roger Moore.