Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the important current affairs of 19th April, 2016. These are very important for the upcoming SBI Clerk 2016 and NABARD Assistant Manager Exams.
NPCI extends insurance benefit to all RuPay cardholders
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments system in the country has announced relaxation for claiming personal accident insurance for all RuPay cardholders in the country.
- Earlier in November, this benefit was extended to RuPay Classic cardholders to avail accidental insurance benefit if the cardholder has performed minimum one transaction in 90 days.
- All RuPay cardholders (physical or virtual) has to perform one successful financial or non-financial transaction at ATM, MicroATM, e-commerce, Point of Sale terminal, Business Correspondent of the bank at locations by any payment instrument. Further, NPCI has now added the branch transactions performed by the customers as well.
- New India Assurance has been chosen for this year's RuPay Insurance Programme. Currently, there are over 260 million RuPay Debit Cards in force.
Indian Oil Corporation inks MoU with Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation
- Flagship refiner-marketer IndianOil Corporation has inked an MoU with Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation to examine the possibility of jointly working on setting up a LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) import terminal at Chittagong port and other downstream infrastructure in that country.
- According to an oil ministry statement, the MoU was signed in the presence of oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan who is on a three-day visit to Bangladesh with a view to lending an impetus to bilateral energy ties initiated during PM Narendra Modi's June 2015 Dhaka visit.
- The minister's discussions with Bangladesh authorities focused on laying a Chittagong-Tripura pipeline through that country for supplying part of the imported LPG to India's northeast region and supplying diesel from Numaligarh Refinery to Parbatipur in Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh is also signing up Indian engineering consultancy firm Engineers India Ltd as consultants for expansion of the Eastern Refinery. Bangladesh was also updated on the seismic survey being carried out by ONGC Videsh Ltd in offshore blocks allotted by Dhaka.
Infosys co-founder S Gopalakrishnan launched app ‘Itihaasa’ chronicling Indian IT journey
- Infosys co-founder on 17 April 2016 launched a new app named ‘Itihaasa’ that chronicles Indian IT journey since the 1950s.
- The app 'itihaasa' is one of the largest chronicles of its kind with 600 videos featuring 44 technology stalwarts.
Main highlights of app Itihaasa
- It contains over 37 hours of footage, 350 archived photographs and articles and easy browsing with 12000 tags.
- It follows the installation of the country's first modern computer in 1955 to crystal gazing on Indian IT in 2040.
- Through the app users can also hear veterans like F C Kohli, Prof Rajaraman, Prof Mahabala, Narayana Murthy, Azim Premji, S Ramadorai, Nandan Nilekani, N Vittal and others.
- Users can personalise stories on six dimensions - Time, People, Organisation, Policy, Technical Terms and Place.
Union Government released report of Technical Committee on Large Scale Integration of Renewable Energy
- Union Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy Minister of State(IC) Piyush Goyal on 18 April 2016 released Report of the Technical Committee on Large Scale Integration of Renewable Energy, Need for Balancing, Deviation Settlement Mechanism (DSM) and associated issues in New Delhi.
- He also launched Ancillary Services Operations in India.
Highlights of the Report
- India has set an ambitious target of achieving 175 GW of renewable generation capacity.
- In order to integrate such high penetration of renewable energy and address the concerns of the stakeholders in renewable energy, a high level Technical Committee was constituted with members from Ministry of Power, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC), Central Electricity Authority (CEA), renewable rich states like Gujarat, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Power Utilities like PGCIL, Power System operation Corporation Ltd. (POSOCO), NTPC, State Generating companies and Private generating companies and Institutions like India Meteorological department (IMD), National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE), National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), GIZ, Ernst & Young (E&Y), etc.
India, Mauritius sign MoU for research in traditional medicine
- India and Mauritius have signed an agreement for cooperation in the field of traditional medicine and homeopathy, a move which will help both the nations to conduct joint research and exchange experts in these fields.
- The MoU, signed during the recent visit of Minister of State for AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik to Mauritius, will promote cooperation in the field of traditional system of health and medicine between the two countries which already share these traditions due to their "unique historical and cultural ties".
- The agreement envisages exchange of experts, supply of traditional medicinal substances, joint research and development and recognition of the traditional systems of health and medicine in both countries, the ministry said in a statement.
Maharashtra to use hologram technique to check spurious liquor
- The Maharashtra Government on 18 April 2016 decided to make it mandatory to have a hologram on every alcohol bottle manufactured and sold in the state. The step was taken to check sale of spurious liquor.
- The Government decided to paste polyester base track and trace hologram, to be supported by a mobile app, which will help consumers find out whether the liquor is fake or genuine.
- The technique will also help prevent loss of revenue due to cheap liquor being imported into Maharashtra from neighbouring states.
Nirma University inks MoU with ISRO
- The Nirma University has recently inked an MoU with Space Applications Centre (SAC), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Ahmedabad for collaborative research leading to technology development and innovation in this space.
- In line with this, ISRO would be setting up one of its communication receivers in the Nirma campus, where the data would be part of further research, said Nirma Director General Anup Singh on the sidelines of the institute’s 21st annual convocation on Monday.
Union Government released Commemorative Coin and Circulation Coin on Tatya Tope
- Union Minister for Culture and Tourism and Civil Aviation Mahesh Sharma on 18 April 2016 released a Commemorative Coin of 200 rupees and a Circulation Coin of 10 rupees to mark the Martyrdom Day of Tatya Tope.
- The Union Ministry of Culture has been celebrating the 200th Birth Anniversary of Tatya Tope during 2015-16 in association with State Government of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh respectively.
- Maharashtra Government organised a three day Mahotsav named Shaurya Mahotsav from 26 February 2016.
Maharashtra government banned digging of bore wells beyond 200 ft
- Maharashtra government on 18 April 2016 decided to restrict digging of borewells beyond 200 feet. The action was taken to check the steep decline in ground water level in the state, which at present is facing recurring droughts and severe water crisis in Marathwada and Vidarbha region.
- The violators of the rule would face fine or/and imprisonment, as the action will be considered as a punishable offence.
- Besides, the state government also conducted special workshops of concerned officials’ to discuss the ways for implementation of Maharashtra Groundwater Development and Management Act to control the excess water pumping through borewell.
First-ever Investment Framework for Nutrition and Call for Immediate Action launched by global leaders
- Leading researchers and economists in the fields of nutrition and development on 18 April 2016 unveiled a groundbreaking analysis outlining what donors, governments and businesses need to invest to accelerate progress for nutrition.
- The Investing in Nutrition: The Foundation for Development event hosted by the World Bank, the Results for Development Institute, and 1000 Days is part of a global effort to increase investment in nutrition, particularly during the 1000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s second birthday.
What is the need of Investment Framework for Nutrition?
- Investments in line with the new framework will drive progress toward achieving four of the six World Health Assembly (WHA) Global Nutrition Targets, specifically those focused on alleviating stunted growth, wasting, and anaemia, and increasing exclusive breastfeeding.
- These targets, endorsed by 194 country governments at the WHA in 2012, were last year enshrined within the second Sustainable Development Goal to end malnutrition in all its forms by the year 2030.
- With just 3.9 billion US dollars currently invested each year to reach the WHA targets, urgent expanded action and investment are needed.
- A package of proven, cost-effective actions can be implemented immediately to jump start progress.
Laureus World Sports Awards 2016: Djokovic and Serena won Sportsman & Sportswoman of the Year
- Laureus World Sports Awards 2016 were given in Berlin, Germany on 18 April 2016. The award ceremony was held in Germany for the first time.
- World No 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic of Serbia won the Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award, whereas US tennis player Serene Williams won the Sportswoman of the Year Award.
- For Djokovic it was back-to-back second Laureus Awards, whereas for Serena it was her fourth Laureus Awards.
List of Awardees
- Sportsman of the Year: Novak Djokovic, Serbia (Tennis)
- Team of the Year: New Zealand national rugby union team
- Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams, the US (Tennis)
- Comeback of the Year: Dan Carter, New Zealand (Rugby)
- Breakthrough of the Year: Jordan Spieth, the US (Golf)
Inzamam-ul-Haq appointed Pakistan chief selector
- The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on 18 April 2016 appointed former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq as the new chief selector of the team.
- Inzamam, a veteran of 120 tests and 398 one-day internationals, replaced Haroon Rasheed as chief selector. The PCB has not set a fixed term for Inzamam's tenure.
- The members of the new selection committee are former test off-spinner Tauseef Ahmed, former international fast bowler Wasim Haider and batsman Wajahatullah Wasti.
- At the time of appointment, Inzamam was the head coach of Afghanistan cricket team. He was appointed as the head coach of Afghanistan in October 2015, and was contracted by the Afghanistan Cricket Board until December 2016.
World Bank, UNICEF established alliance to promote Early Childhood Development programme
- World Bank and UNICEF on 14 April 2016 announced establishment of new alliance that aims to make Early Childhood Development (ECD) programme a global policy.
- To give all young children access to quality services that improve their health, nutrition, learning ability and emotional well-being, the alliance calls for programming and public spending priority.
- On the occasion, the World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim and UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake jointly urged global and national leaders to step up and accelerate action and investments in nutrition and ECD programmes as a critical foundation for equitable development and economic growth.
World Bank Group to Invest 2.5 Billion US Dollars in Education Projects benefiting Adolescent Girls
- World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim on 13 April 2016 announced that the World Bank Group will invest 2.5 billion US dollars over 5 years in education projects that directly benefit adolescent girls.
- The announcement was followed by a call to action from the First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama, urging key policymakers and influencers from around the world to commit to urgent action in support of adolescent girls.
- The announcement was made at the Let Girls Learn event during the World Bank Group-IMF Spring Meetings.
Highlights of the Investment
- By 2020, the World Bank Group expects to invest at least 2.5 billion US dollars in education projects targeting adolescent girl.
- About 75 percent of these investments are expected to be from International Development Association (IDA), the Bank Group’s fund for the poorest countries.
14th meeting of Foreign Ministers of Russia, India and China held in Moscow
- The 14th meeting of the Foreign Ministers of the Russian Federation, the Republic of India and the People's Republic of China was held on 18 April 2016 in Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Union Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of India Sushma Swaraj, and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi took part in the meeting.
- The Ministers discussed various aspects of trilateral cooperation on global and regional issues, the progress in strengthening the international legal framework underlying the modern world order, and the neutralisation of common challenges.
The 13th Islamic Summit Conference concluded in Istanbul
- The 13th session of the Islamic Summit Conference was concluded on 15 April 2016 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- The Islamic Summit, which commenced on 10 April 2016, was held under the theme Unity and Solidarity for Justice and Peace. It also discussed the current situation in Syria, Yemen, Libya, Afghanistan, Somalia, Mali, Jammu and Kashmir, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Armenia’s aggressions on Azerbaijan, as well as other Member States afflicted by conflicts and unstable security situations.
- The agenda of the summit included the question of Palestine and Arab-Israeli conflict, conflict situation in the Muslim world, combating terrorism and violent extremism, Islamophopia, humanitarian situation in the Muslim world, and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) 2025 Programme of Action.
William Bill Campbell, Silicon Valley coach and mentor, died
- Silicon Valley coach and mentor William Bill Campbell died on 18 April 2016 after battle with cancer. He was 75.
- He was widely admired Silicon Valley coach and mentor as his advices on leadership and management nurtured a range of Silicon Valley luminaries include Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and Google co-founder Larry Page.
- The list of executives who worked with Campbell includes former EBay CEO John Donahoe, ex-Twitter CEO Dick Costolo, Google parent Alphabet Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and many of the tech world's leading venture capitalists.