Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 10th March, 2016.
Indian Railways appointed EY as consultant to discover advertising potential of trains & stations
- Indian Railways on 8 March 2016 appointed Ernst & Young (EY) as a consultant to discover the advertising potential in trains and railway stations. The move aims at enhancing revenue through non-fare box route.
- The Railway PSU - RITES, the consulting wing for Indian Railways, awarded the mandate to EY following a multi-party bid.
- EY will identify assets and formulate a pricing strategy for advertising across 7000 railways stations in the country.
- This is the first time in India that such a large scale project on advertising for Railways has been initiated.
- EY and Indian Railways will engage with leading advertisers through the course of the project for effective optimization of railway assets.
- A unique aspect of the exercise will be the creation of a neutral assessment on the return of investments by advertisers in this medium.
Rajya Sabha passed Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015
- Rajya Sabha on 8 March 2016 passed Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015. The bill seeks to replace the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
- It extends the ambit of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to include services, processes and products while ensuring production of world class goods.
Widow Marriage included under Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojana in Madhya Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on 8 March 2016 announced inclusion of widow marriage under the state government’s Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojana. The announcement made on International Women's Day in Bhopal aims at promoting marriage of widows.
- While announcing that marriages will also be solemnised under the Yojna, CM Chouhan said that two lakh rupees will be sanctioned for widow marriage.
- Besides, he also announced that to prevent violence against women, state government will open Usha Kiran Centres in every district of the state.
Karnataka launched Mukhyamantri Santwana Harish Yojana for accident victims’ free treatment
- The Karnataka Government on 8 March 2016 launched Mukhyamantri Santwana Harish Yojana to provide free treatment to road accident victims for the first 48 hours in the nearest government or private hospital.
- The scheme is named after Harish Nanjappa, who donated his eyes moments before his death in a road accident in February 2016.
Key highlights of the scheme
- It will provide assistance to victims of road accidents across the state irrespective of their financial status or nationality.
- Immediate medical relief will be provided to the victim during the Golden Hour with financial aid up to 25000 during the first 48 hours of treatment.
Meghalaya police extended Operation Hillstorm 3 by three months
- Combat operation of Meghalaya police, code-named 'Hillstorm 3', was in news on 8 March 2016. Operation Hillstorm-3 was launched by Meghalaya Police on 24 February 2016 in the Garo Hills and West Khasi Hills districts of the state.
- It was launched against the backdrop of intelligence reports that GNLA (Garo National Liberation Army) militants have entrenched in Durama hills areas.
- The Meghalaya have sought 12 additional companies of central paramilitary forces and six units of CoBRA battalion for its operation against militants in the Garo Hills region.
Cycling event of Indian Army with theme Cycle to Recycle flagged off
- Cycling event of Indian Army with the theme ‘Cycle to Recycle’ was flagged off on 8 March 2016 from Pangsau Pass on the India-Myanmar border.
- It was flagged off by Brigadier DK Singh, Commander of the 25 Sector Assam Rifles based at Lekhapani in Tinsukia district.
Key features of the Cycling event
- It was organised as part of the Assam Rifles 181st raising day celebrations.
- The event is an effort to create public awareness about the need of nature and environment conservation.
Awards & Honors –
Mahindra Group CMD Anand Mahindra conferred France’s Knight of the Legion of Honour
- Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra Group Anand G Mahindra was on 5 March 2016 conferred with the Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour).
- The honour was conferred upon by François Richier, Ambassador of France to India, at the Residence of France in New Delhi.
- Anand Mahindra was chosen for the highest French civilian distinction in recognition of his outstanding national and international achievements and initiatives at the helm of the Mahindra Group.
President Pranab Mukherjee presented 2015 Nari Shakti awards
- President Pranab Mukherjee on 8 March 2016 presented Nari Shakti Puraskar for the year 2015 to 15 women, 5 organisations, one state and panchayat. The awards were conferred on the occasion of International Women's Day at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- The awards are annually given by the Union Ministry of Women & Child Development to institutions and individuals who have made exceptional contribution towards empowerment of women specially belonging to vulnerable and marginalised sections of society.
- It carries cash award of two lakh rupees and a certificate for institutions and one lakh rupees and a certificate for individuals.
UNFPA, UNICEF launched Global Programme to Accelerate Action to End Child Marriage
- The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and the United Nations Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) on 8 March 2016 jointly launched the Global Programme to Accelerate Action to End Child Marriage.
- It is a multi-country initiative and is part of a global effort to prevent girls from marrying too young.
Features of the Programme
- It will help protect the rights of millions of the world’s most vulnerable girls by involving families, communities, governments and young people.
- It will support those already married as girls in 12 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East where child marriage rates are high.
CA Media appointed Vivek Jain as CEO of digital business
- CA Media Digital (India) Pvt. Ltd. on 8 March 2016 appointed Vivek Jain as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- CA Media Digital is the digital wing of CA Media LP, which is owned by The Chernin Group, KKR and other investors.
George Henry Martin, legendary producer for the Beatles, died
- The legendary music producer George Henry Martin died on 8 March 2016. He was 90 years old.
- George Martin was popularly known as the fifth Beatle as he signed the Beatles and became their indispensable mentor and collaborator.