Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the important Current Affairs of 19th March.
HDFC Bank Launches SmartUp – A Banking Solution Specifically For Startups
- In an effort to contribute towards the ‘Start-up India’ campaign and for nurturing the start-up ecosystem in the country, HDFC Bank, the best private bank in Asia, has launched a first-of-its-kind dedicated banking solution for start-ups, ‘SmartUp’.
- HDFC Bank has launched SmartUp in association with ‘Zone Startups India’, a start-up accelerator based in Mumbai. SmartUp is custom designed to meet all the requirements of a start-up including banking services, payment solutions, and advisory and forex services.
- SmartUp initiative with not only act as a partner for startups in their early growth stage, but will also help develop an ecosystem for encouraging innovation and start-ups in the country. Zone Startups India a collaboration between BSE Institute (a subsidiary of Bombay Stock Exchange), Ryerson University’s accelerator Digital Media Zone, Ryerson Futures Inc., and Simon Fraser University.
- SmartUp was launched at an event organized by Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in the presence of top HDFC Bank officials including Navin Puri, Country Head- Branch Banking, Smita Bhagat, Branch Banking Head- North & West and Co-Head, eCommerce, Parag Rao, Country Head- Card Payment Products, Merchant Acquiring Services and Marketing from HDFC Bank. Ajay Ramasubramaniam, Director at Zone Startups India was also present at the event.
Bill Banvao Inaam Pao: VAT dept’s scheme a success but slow in prosecuting violators
- The VAT department’s ‘Bill Banvao Inaam Pao’ scheme has taken off successfully — with Rs 5.65 lakh reward amount distributed to customers who participated — it is yet to make much headway in prosecuting those shopkeepers and traders operating with cancelled licences and manipulating records.
- Out of 50 dealers found operating with cancelled licenses, officials said action has been taken against only 11 of them.
- The department has recovered Rs 22 lakh as penalty from these 11 dealers for the months of January and February.
Tech Mahindra, BPUT tie up for innovation centre
- Tech Mahindra’s Bhubaneswar centre has signed a pact with Odisha’s Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT) for establishing a ‘Centre for Innovation’ here.
- The pact was signed between Shyam Sundar Pattnaik, vice chancellor, BPUT and B K Mishra, Global Delivery Head of Tech Mahindra in the presence of Skill Development & Technical Education minister Sanjay Kumar Das Burma.
- In a first of its kind initiative, BPUT would collaborate with the industry for solving industry’s problems. Students pursuing Phd and M Tech (Master of Technology) at the university will be at the IT major’s campus for a period ranging from one year to three years.
Indian Professor Appointed 56th President Of International Studies Association
An Indian Professor has become the president of a scholarly group in the US dedicated to international studies.
Professor TV Paul took over as the 56th president of International Studies Association (ISA), at its annual convention at Atlanta, Georgia this week.
In his address, which among others was attended by former Canadian Prime Minister, Joe Clarke, Mr Paul called on international relations scholars to explicitly deal with grand strategies of peaceful change more effectively, especially in the context of the rise of new powers such as China and India.
Born in Kerala, Mr Paul in his speech encouraged scholars with historical understanding to offer ideas for policy makers about which strategy produced conflict and which strategy generated unnecessary violence.
Awards & Honors –
Skoch Lifetime Achievement Award conferred on Venkaiah Naidu
- Union urban Development minister M Venkaiah Naidu on 18 March 2016 conferred with the Skoch Lifetime Achievement Award at 43rd SKOCH summit held in New Delhi.
- He was selected for the award for his contributions to inclusive growth and towards poverty alleviation in India.
- Besides, IT minister of Telangana State KT Rama Rao was awarded the Skoch Award in the Startup India category for his initiative in establishing the path breaking tech incubator T-Hub.
ICC suspends Bangladesh bowlers Taskin, Sunny
- Bangladesh pace sensation Taskin Ahmed and left-arm spinner Arafat Sunny were today suspended for bowling with an illegal action by the ICC, dealing a massive blow to the team’s campaign in the ongoing World Twenty20.
- Arafat’s analysis revealed that the elbow extension for majority of his deliveries had exceeded the 15 degrees’ level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Regulations, while not all of Taskin’s deliveries were legal.
- The 20-year-old Taskin, the fastest bowler in Bangladesh right now, has 21 wickets in 14 ODIs and 9 in 13 T20Is. Sunny, on the other hand, 24 scalps from 16 ODIs and 12 from 10 T20Is.
- In accordance with Article 6.1 of the ICC Regulations, Arafat’s and Taskin’s international suspensions will also be recognised and enforced by all the members for domestic cricket events played in their own jurisdiction.
TCS named official technology partner for Virgin Money London Marathon
- Tata Consultancy Services on 17 March 2016 announced a three year partnership with the Virgin Money London Marathon.
- The aim of the partnership is to enhance the digital experience delivered to marathon participants.
- Under the terms of the partnership, TCS will become the race’s official technology partner for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 events.