Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 11th March, 2016.
NITI Aayog launched Women Transforming India campaign in partnership with UN and MyGov
- The NITI Aayog on 8 March 2016, celebrated as International Women’s Day, launched the Women Transforming India initiative in partnership with the UN in India and MyGov.
- Through the initiative, NITI Aayog seeks for entries in the form of written essays/stories, preferably accompanied by photographs that set a context to the narrative. These stories should reflect new ground broken by women in empowering themselves/others, or of challenging stereotypes.
- The many interventions including Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Sukanya Samridhi Yojana, Janani Suraksha Yojana are testimony to its resolve to empower and educate of girls, and to tackle discrimination against girls and women.
- This initiative is also a step forward in furthering the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which have Gender as a stand-alone goal.
Railways launch online 'clean my coach' service
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Friday launched an online "clean my coach" service that allows travellers to get their compartments cleaned by sending an SMS or by using an app or a designated website.
- "As per the scheme, for any cleaning requirement in the coach, passengers have to send an SMS on a mobile number 58888," a statement issued by the ministry said. "Alternatively, passengers can use the android app or Web page www.cleanmycoach.com for logging the request."
- Following this, a passenger's request is immediately acknowledged via SMS on mobile phone along with a code. "This service empowers the citizen to get an important service on board and is in line with the objectives of the 'Digital India' programme."
- Prabhu had announced this scheme in the rail budget for the next fiscal.
Lok Sabha passes Aadhaar Bill
- The Lok Sabha on Friday passed the Aadhaar Bill to provide a unique identity to residents and give legal teeth to the government in ensuring that its subsidies and services directly reach the beneficiaries in entirety.
- The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016, was passed by a voice vote after a brief debate, during which Finance Minister Arun Jaitley assured the House that details provided for the card will not be misused in any manner.
- When enacted, the Bill intends to empower the government in providing targeted services to the intended beneficiaries by assigning them unique identity numbers, called Aadhaar. It will be given to every person, who has stayed in India for 182 days in the year preceding the date of application.
India and Bahrain signed MoU on Cooperation for Prevention of Human Trafficking especially trafficking in Women and Children
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bahrain on cooperation for prevention of human trafficking especially trafficking in women and children; rescue, recovery, repatriation and re-integration of victims of trafficking.
- This MoU will strengthen the bonds of friendship between the two countries and increase the bilateral cooperation on the issues of prevention, rescue, recovery and repatriation related to human trafficking especially women and children expeditiously.
- The MoU is expected to be signed during the Home Ministers upcoming visit to Bahrain in the first week of April 2016.
Former SC Judge BS Chauhan appointed as 21st Law Commission Chairperson
- Union Government on 10 March 2016 appointed former Supreme Court judge Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan as the chairperson of the 21st Law Commission. The post was vacant since September 2015 when the commission was constituted.
- At present, Justice Chauhan is heading the Cauvery River Water Disputes Tribunal. He was a judge of the Supreme Court from May 2009 to July 2014. Earlier from July 2008 to May 2009, he served as the Chief Justice of Orissa High Court.
- The 21st Law Commission was constituted through a Union Government Order with effect from 1 September 2015. It has a three-year term, ending on 31 August 2018. The Commission presently comprises of three members, Member-Secretary and Secretary to the Union Government, two ex-officio members and Secretary to the Law Commission of India.
Egyptian diplomat Ahmed Abul Gheit named Secretary General of the Arab League
- Egyptian diplomat and former Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit was named as Secretary General of the Arab League on 10 March 2016. The 22-member organization voted unanimously in favor of Aboul Gheit.
- This appointment was announced by Bahraini Foreign Minister Khaled bin Ahmed Al-Khalifa at the end of 22-nation ministerial meeting in Cairo.
- 73-year-old Aboul Gheit, a former ambassador to the United Nations, will succeed Nabil El-Araby. Gheit served as Egypt's foreign minister during the final seven years of Hosni Mubarak's rule, leaving his post in 2011, following the mass protests that toppled the Mubarak.
- Gheit’s name was proposed for the post by Cairo after the incumbent, Nabil al-Arabi, another Egyptian, declined a second five-year term as Secretary General.
Ola appoints Sunil Shirguppi as Vice President, engineering
- Ola, India’s leading mobile app for transportation, announced Friday that Sunil Shirguppi, former Vice President at Goldman Sachs, will join Ola as Vice President, engineering and will primarily be working towards enhancing capabilities in Data Science and Machine Learning.
- In this role, Sunil will be working closely with Ankit Bhati in areas that will impact the business significantly, including Consumer Analytics, Behavioral Analytics and other data platform capabilities.
Rest of India defeated Mumbai to lift Irani Cup Cricket Title
- Rest of India on 10 March 2016 won the Irani Cup Cricket title. In the match played in Mumbai, Rest of India defeated 41-time Ranji Champions Mumbai by four wickets.
- Rest of India overhauled the victory target of 480 by making 482 for 6 on the fifth and final day in Mumbai.
- Rest of India’s chase was also the best-ever run-chase in the Irani history. It bettered Rest’s 424, chasing 421 set by Delhi at the Ferozshah Kotla in 1982-83.
Union Cabinet approved Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy
- The Union Cabinet, presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 10 March 2016 approved the Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP).
- The decision will enhance domestic oil and gas production, bring substantial investment in the sector and generate sizable employment. The policy also targets the enhancement of transparency and reduction of administrative discretion.
- The HELP will replace the New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP).