Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 31st January, 2016.
First revised estimates of macroeconomic indicators for 2014-15 released
- The Central Statistics Office (CSO) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation on 29 January 2016 released the first revised estimates of national income, consumption expenditure, saving and capital formation for 2014-15.
- Besides, the CSO also released second revised estimates of the years 2011-12 to 2013-14 (with base year 2011-12.
Highlights of revised estimates for FYs 2014-15 & 2013-14
- Real GDP or GDP at constant (2011-12) prices for the years 2014-15 and 2013-14 stands at 105.52 lakh crore rupees and 98.39 lakh crore rupees, respectively, showing growth of 7.2 per cent during 2014-15, and 6.6 per cent during 2013-14.
- The previous Real GDP estimates for FY 2014-15 and 2013-14 was 7.3 and 6.9 respectively.
Novak Djokovic wins Australian Open 2016 in Men's Single for 6th Time
- World number one Novak Djokovic hammered a misfiring Andy Murray in straight sets to win a record-equalling sixth Australian Open title and strengthen his grip on men's tennis today.
- The Serbian world number one swept to a 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 (7/3) victory in two hours, 53 minutes to hand Murray his fifth defeat in the Australian Open final.
- Djokovic equalled the tally of Australia's Roy Emerson, who won the tournament six times between 1961 and 1967, an achievement that has gone unmatched in the 49 years since.
- It was also Djokovic's 11th Grand Slam title, and he moved into equal fifth place with Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg behind 17-time leader Roger Federer.
India won three-match T-20 series against Australia, 3-0
- India on 31 January 2016 won the three-match T-20 series against Australia, 3-0. In the third and final Twenty20 match played in Sydney, India defeated Australia by seven wickets.
- Winning the toss and electing to bat, Australia was able to score 197 for 5 in 20 overs after which India surpassed the target of 198 by making 200 for three in their 20 overs.
- Virat Kohli of India was declared as the player of the series.
Pietro Fittipaldi won 2015-16 MRF Challenge Formula 2000
- Brazilian racing driver Pietro Fittipaldi on 31 January 2016 clinched the 2015-16 MRF Challenge Formula 2000 at Madras Motor Racing Track in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.
- Fittipaldi won two of the four races which earned him the required points to clinch the title with a tally of 244 points while Colombian Tatiana Calderon finished second (199), just eight ahead of Nikita Troitckii of Russia (191).
Books & Authors –
Book titled Nathuram Godse - The Story of an Assassin released
- The book titled Nathuram Godse - The Story of an Assassin authored by Anup Ashok Sardesai was released on 30 January 2016.
- The book was released at the government-owned Ravindra Bhavan in Margao, Goa by BJP leader and the bhavan's chairman Damodar Naik.
Anti-Leprosy Day observed on 30 January 2016
- Anti-Leprosy Day was observed on 30 January 2016 nationwide to focus attention on the disease which is also known as the Hansen’s disease.
- Annually, the day is celebrated in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi, who attained martyrdom on 30 January 1948, in order to re-memorize his selfless efforts and care for the people affected by the infectious disease leprosy.
Awards & Honors –
Manoj Joshi Receives 'Chhatrapati Shivjai Maharaj Gaurav Award'
- Actor Manoj Joshi was conferred with the 'Chhatrapati Shivjai Maharaj Gaurav Award' at a function organised here.
- The award was presented during the 23rd Rashtriya Kavi Sammelan (National Meeting of Poets) last evening.
- At the programme, poet Hastimal Hasti was given the 'Dr.Harivanshrai Sahitya Ratna Puraskar' while Colonel Santosh Mahadik, who was killed in an encounter with terrorists in north Kashmir, was conferred with the 'Maharana Pratap Shourya Puraskar', posthumously.
- The meeting was jointly organised by the Hindi Bashi Ekta Parishad, Rajastani Seva Samiti and Bramha Parishad.
- Joshi, who acts in the well-known play 'Chanakya', said it took over three years for the research on the play and another two years to conceive it.
- Thane MP Rajan Vichare, city Additional Commissioner of Police Makarand Ranade, BJP National Council member Om Prakash Sharma were present on the occasion.