Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 9th January, 2016. These are important for the upcoming LIC AAO 2016, Syndicate Manipal 2016 and SIDBI Assistant Manager 2016.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
Bengal Aerotropolis Projects signs MoU with Druk Air for flights to Singapore
- Bengal Aerotropolis Projects Limited (BAPL) signed two pacts for air services and bus manufacturing on the last day of Bengal Global Business Summit here today.
- The first MoU was signed with Bhutan's Druk Air for operating flights from Andal to Durgapur, Bagdogra, Bhutan and onwards to Singapore.
- The second MoU is for bus manufacturing at Andal in Burdwan district with China's Zhongtong Bus Holding Company.
- The project would entail an investment of Rs 1,500 crore.
French soldiers to march down Rajpath on Republic Day 2016 along with Indian troops
- The French soldiers will march down the Rajpath on Republic Day along with Indian troops in the presence of President Francois Hollande.
- Hollande is the Chief Guest for 26 January 2016 celebrations.
- This is the first time that a foreign army will participate in the 26th January Parade, since 1950.
- A French contingent, comprising 56 personnel of 35th Infantry Regiment of 7th Armoured Brigade, is already in the country to take part in a joint exercise, Shakti 2016, which began in Rajasthan on 8 January 2016. Some soldiers will also fly down from France to form a proper marching contingent.
Thermal power companies to transport fly ash free of cost to road construction site in Odisha
- Thermal Power companies in Odisha will now have to transport fly ash free of cost to road construction site located within 100 kms perimeter of their plant.
- The decision in this regard was taken at the joint meeting between NTPC and State Pollution Control Board at Bhubaneswar on 8 January 2016.
- For this purpose, a law will be formulated to ensure that the plants that generate fly ash will make arrangement for transportation of the material to work site free of cost. This will help the contractor involved in road construction to utilise the plant residue without putting an additional burden.
Smriti Irani inaugurates 43rd New Delhi World Book Fair
- Human Resource Minister Smriti Irani on Saturday inaugurated the 43rd edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair which commenced here with China as the guest of honour country and a theme presentation of the cultural heritage of India.
- The nine-day fair, touted as the largest in Asia, is hosting about 30 countries in which a series of programmes including panel discussions, dramas, classical and folk dances, workshops, discussions, authors’ meets, conferences, seminars and cultural programmes will be held.
- China was invited to be the guest country after the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping here last year where he signed a memorandum of understanding with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Urjit Patel to be RBI deputy governor for 3 more years
- The government today re-appointed Urjit Patel as the deputy governor of Reserve Bank of India for a three-year term, ensuring continuity for the team spearheading the country's monetary policy under Governor Raghuram Rajan.
- Patel, a close confidante of Rajan for shaping and implementing monetary policy, was earlier appointed as deputy governor for a period of three years from January 11, 2013, RBI said in statement.
- Patel is the fourth deputy governor, the other three being HR Khan, R Gandhi and SS Mundra.
- During his tenure, Patel spearheaded a committee that in January 2014 recommended targeting consumer inflation to control historically volatile prices, shifting the focus away from wholesale prices.
Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis won 2016 with WTA Brisbane title
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis carried the dominance of 2015 into the new season, winning their sixth consecutive title by lifting the WTA Brisbane trophy, in Brisbane on Saturday.
- The top seeds quelled the challenge of German wildcards Angelique Kerber and Andrea Petkovic 7-5, 6-1 in mere 69 minutes.
- Sania and Martina, the world number one team, have now stitched a 26-match winning streak together, which has brought them six titles in a row at the US Open, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Beijing, WTA Finals and now here.
- It is the longest winning streak since Italians Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci’s 25 in a row in 2012. Sara and Roberta had won five titles in a row.
Australia wins Hopman Cup for 1st time in 17 years
- Nick Kyrgios and Daria Gavrilova had singles wins over Ukraine to lead Australia Green to the Hopman Cup, the country’s first title in the mixed teams event in 17 years.
- Gavrilova’s 6-4, 7-6 (6) victory over Elina Svitolina gave Australia a 1-0 lead before Kyrgios clinched the title with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Alexandr Dolgopolov.
- Australia’s only previous Hopman Cup title came in 1999, when Mark Philippoussis and Jelena Dokic beat the Swedish pair of Jonas Bjorkman and Asa Carlsson.
- The last time Australia reached the final was in 2003, when Lleyton Hewitt and Alicia Molik were defeated 3-0 by Serena Williams and James Blake of the United States.
- Kyrgios won all four of his singles matches and combined with Gavrilova for an unbeaten mixed doubles run.